Extended - short overview

fjordan

Warlord
I have been playing MoM a couple of years ago. Is there, or can someone give me, a short overview of what Extended has changed? Is it mere balance or are there significant new features? I believe I stopped with Mom just before Guilds appeared.

Also, what map scripts are fun to play? The in-game descriptions are rather non-descipt..

I have been playing MoM a couple of years ago. Is there, or can someone give me, a short overview of what Extended has changed? Is it mere balance or are there significant new features? I believe I stopped with Mom just before Guilds appeared.

Also, what map scripts are fun to play? The in-game descriptions are rather non-descipt..

If my memory is not tricking on me i think the latest updates on Xtended were more focused on balance issues and on squashing bugs. There had been a few things added, like a few new spells and equipable itens, but thats's all.

I do not believe new features will be added to this mod anytime soon, but i feel that Esvath is close to making MoM extended a bug free mod. Well, at least free of game breaking bugs.

About map scripts, i really think that's the party of the game that deserves more attention in the next updates. Honestly, there are no map script that i am 100% content right now.
But, despite of this, i usually play on MoM_Erebus or MoM_Lakes mapscripts. Both of those mapscripts have a "climate" version, which places starting settlers on a favorable position according to your civilization, but when using this version of those mapscripts you won't be able to found new cities on tiles that does not produce at least 1 food.

If you have not played with MOM's guild, that means you will find lots of new contents in Xtended:

1. Each civilisation now has unique roster of units (5-7 units per civ). Their strength is automatically increased whenever you acquire military techs. So you don't need to upgrade your Archers to Longbowmen. This simplifies unit management but at the same time opens possibilities for more unique units for each civ.
  2. Reworked leader traits/unique buildings etc for civs to better capture their flavour/lore. For the example, Amurites leaders start with Mind mana and extra one, depending on their magic mastery.
  3. More powerful and flavourful spell schools. Each spell school now has a primary and secondary focus, thus advancing in one particular school will affect your in-game options greatly. Nature school, for example, excels in summoning and enchantments to generate resources but lacking in direct damage spells.
  4. There are eight different Guilds, each offering unique benefits to you. Artisans Guild allows you to find and exploit metal resources. Hunters Guild allows you to capture animals and strengthen your recon units. Magi Circle allows you to rush using mana etc.
  5. Religion has stronger effects but you can choose how committed you are toward religion. Agnostic leaders can not adopt religion but even religious leaders have their own shades of zealousness. You can adopt a religion and mass-producing Priests by unlocking Priest guild. Or, you can adopt a religion and enjoy its basic benefits (+1 happy and temples) but do not pay stronger attention toward it. Or you can avoid it if you want to.
Most of these are available in in-game civpedia, under Master of Mana category. Or, you can look through previous change logs in the download thread.

Top Bottom