F.a.q.

Surely there should be at least 24 hours rule in double move, but whatever...

Speaking from the experience of the Apolyton BtSDG, so long as you define a double move effectively (which shouldn't be that hard, just say that you can't move a unit until 12 hours after you first moved it, with game admins discretion so that we could, say, blast through the first 20 turns quite quickly if we wanted to), then simul turns is perfectly OK. And the 72 turn time is fine for every team to play in even if the turnplayer is busy, and makes it easier for other people to log in and offer their views on a changing situation compared to a 24 hour turn timer in sequential which will make the game take longer.

The double move in wars is in team not possible. team 1 moves little befor turn-end, how can after the beginning of the new turn the team make any decision. That is only in 2 teams-war, what will be in wars with more than 2 teams. In big teams is allways some logged on. So, who will admin this situation? Nobody can this!

If you play simul, then 1 player plays a turn without team decision, there is no other possible solution. The time/duration (24 or 72 hours) of turn is no object.

All logins are showed on civstats, so should be pretty easy to monitor this...

Also @ HUSch, what are you trying to say. I can't get meaning from your first paragraph...

With a long enough timer each team would have at least 24 hours to play on(even if everyone were at war with everyone), which would be the same as with sequential turns. As mentioned civstats makes it easy to monitor any errors and reloading can easily solve them...

The double move in wars is in team not possible. team 1 moves little befor turn-end, how can after the beginning of the new turn the team make any decision. That is only in 2 teams-war, what will be in wars with more than 2 teams. In big teams is allways some logged on. So, who will admin this situation? Nobody can this!

Do you mean to say: That if team 1 moves 30 seconds before the end of turn 1, say, that then team 2 will not be able to make a decision with regards to what to do? This is solved by making an out of game time limit on double move units as I said: You make team 1 not move the units that they moved at the end opf turn 1 for a set amount of time so that team 2 can decide how to move: 24 hours is easily acceptable and if the team that declared war on you is the team that plays before you in sequential turns, 24 hours is all you would get before your turn was up any way. 36 would be fine as well, giving you more time to decide what to do. This gives teams more time to reach a quick concensus for each turn for the worst case scenario, and enough time to plan ahead a few turns, and leads to a quicker game. The double move timer could always apply to everybodies units, including workers/settlers if we wanted it to.

I think what he's saying is that it's impossible to enforce the restriction on double-moving. If I play the save for my team 5 minutes before the end of the turn, then the turn comes back to me while I'm still logged in, then there isn't time for the team to discuss movement options (unless I wait another 24 hours before moving ;))

Of course, there are ways around this.

But this talk is misplaced. This thread is intended for information about the game, and question regarding the game.
If any more discussion of simultaneous vs. sequential goes on, please move the conversation to the Turn Options thread.

And before posting there, please re-read the discussion that already went on regarding the format. The vast majority of the MTDG veterans agreed that Simultaneous was not the best way for us to play this game; Sequential was agreed upon.

We spent about 2 weeks figuring out how to acheive 3 things:
1. An enforceable turn-timer
2. Move the game along [a little] faster
3. Still allow enough latitude for unforeseen events and diplomacy.
We came up with a solution. If this discussion is restarting, please go back and familiarize yourself with the reasoning behind our decision. And don't forget - we weren't choosing this out of the blue! We've had 3 MTDG's worth of experience to draw on in formulating this. :old:

OK, we can move the discussion there; just a reminder that 3 MTDGs worth of experience is actually very little.

EDIT: Actually ,should we ask an admin to move the offending posts to that thread?

Nah, no need to move the posts ;)

But the 3 MTDGs worth of experience refers to what we've learned about the MTDG format, and what to expect of gameplay - not about 3 game worth of pitboss experience. To be honest, I'm still worried that the 24 hour turn-timer is too fast :eek:

Two noob questions. One, what is the IP address? I apologize if this has already been covered. Two, how do I register myself as a part of the team on CivStats?

Game Address: daveshack.dyndns.org:2057
Civstats: http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=1166

At this point you can't really join CivStats - something is wrong with the e-mail thing... Viva's trying to hunt down the offender.
In the meantime, just do what I did and bookmark the civstats page. That works well enough.

Hopefully I'll have a full page explaining all this stuff as soon as discussion has progressed a bit more in the Forum Structure Discussion thread.

I don't understand the civstat. What is meaning of the info in the begin of turn (in red). The teams haven't finished their turn.

Attachments

• civstat.png
    civstat.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 214
It means since it is sequential turns their turn haven't started yet hence since civstats is ment for simultanious turn games it think the teams have finished their turns.

Another Question fabout Pitboss and his differences to Pbems.

In Pbems you can after the message of an event, closed and discuss and then play the game after discussion and deciding.
What can we do, if/when the popup-message arrives? Is there a possibility to close normal the game over "Exit to Main Menu"?

nope, you really have to discuss it in real time which is why it is ideal that all teams have some sort of synchronous communication tool internally...

Top Bottom