Facilitating a colleague's disciplinary

feline_dacat

Sheep are welsh.
I don't know how i feel about this; one of my colleagues who works for one of our suppliers got a disciplinary due to an email i sent to him and his line manager regarding how he spoke to me at work today.

This morning me and the student intern were in the corridor when this guy comes out through a door hauling a massive flight case. As usual I greet him with "Good Morning" but he turns around (obviously quite annoyed and stressed) and starts on a massive rant about how he just had to lug this up the stairs because the lifts were locked down on level one (at the request of the client). He then starts F'ing and blinding about event managers take no consideration on how our decisions effect him.

This really got my back up because:

* All I had said was "Good morning"
* I hadn't made the decision to get the lifts locked down - in fact it wasn't my event
* He just had this massive rant in front of clients who were here for another event
* Final thing that made me really cross was that he had declined a weekly catch-up meeting for the areas that he needed to access - meaning that we could have prevented lift access being a problem in the first place

Knowing that he was stressed about it and that he had had trouble getting security to unlock a lift for him so he could get his equipment up, I told him that next time he should give us a ring and we might be able to sort something out for him, but that started him off on another rant about how that would take too long. This really riled me, since we are sort of friends and I didn't feel that I needed to tiptoe around the subject so I said that I was only trying to help. He then semi-shouts/explains how it was ridiculous that the intern should request that the equipment needed to be in the room by 8am, but he didn't have that equipment available because he had to use what he had on my event down the corridor last minute the previous day ("as a favour", in his words). That was the last straw for me as I had explained to him that it wasn't last minute - it was a mistake by his line manager because he didn't include it on the original work order, but I'd follow it up with him myself. He proceeds to ignore my point and argues that he wouldn't have needed to lug that equipment if it wasn't for that last minute change.

I felt that he was really rude, and not only that, he was rude to me for something I was offering to help him out with and in front of clients. I wrote a note addressed to this guy with his manager cc'ed in, sympathising with him that he had a bad morning but he shouldn't take it out on me and especially in front of my clients. I said that I felt it was unprofessional and that it undermined any trust I had built up with them.

I haven't heard anything more as a response from either him or his line manager, but the intern was called to a meeting with him, the line manager and the regional sales director, to act as a "witness" to what happened this morning. It turns out that he has already had 3 previous warnings about his conduct towards other people within the work place and this is his fourth warning. If there is another complain that would warrant a written and final warning after which his employment might be terminated.

The intern comes back from the meeting and tells me what transpired at the meeting - I don't know how impartial he is as we work really closely together and that he too has had attitude problems from this guy. A statement was made from him - he claimed that he wasn't rude, and his behaviour was because he was tired from working 14 hour shifts. He was apparently also quite defensive when he claimed that he didn't realise the clients were there. I will make a point now that there was no way that he didn't realise the clients were there as they walked right past him from the lift. He also said that he expected some leniency from his friends. I don't think being friends should excuse you from acting like a professional.

His line manager tried to encourage an apology from him - hinting at him that you don't need really mean it but you need to put on a smile for your clients. His line manager also tried to explain that even if they work within the venue exclusively, the venue is still their company's clients and thus should treat everyone at the venue with the same courtesy as he would an outside client. Losing an external client might lose them a couple of hundred pounds of business, but losing their contract at the venue will cost them millions. There was also a comment that he refused to shake hands with his line manager and the sales director at the end of the meeting, with the excuse "if this was an agreement then we should have had the meeting in private."

The last thing I want to point out is that we have previously had a really good relationship - we would have a joke around, I will always say good morning and have a bit of a chat and usually we're quite happy to do favours for each other. I feel bad that his job is now on the line if he doesn't change his attitude but on the other hand, apart from this time when he was rude directly to me, I've been flabbergasted at things he will say in front of clients - while not directly rude, he will say inappropriate things to do with the job. I feel justified in my decision because he was unprofessional and its something that needs to be changed, but is it a betrayal? It sort of feels like it is, cos I could have just had a word with him quietly once I had stopped feeling offended.

What are your thoughts? Would you have made a complaint? How would you feel about making a complaint against someone you had, up until that one occasion, a good working relationship with (but had seen previous evidence of inappropriate behaviour)?

I feel justified in my decision because he was unprofessional and its something that needs to be changed, but is it a betrayal? It sort of feels like it is, cos I could have just had a word with him quietly once I had stopped feeling offended.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "betrayal", but it probably would have been more prudent just to have a word with him quietly. You weren't wrong in what you did, and you don't deserve blame, but you could have done things a bit more tactfully.

As his friend, you could have been a bit more discreet, air your grievance with him in private.

As an employee of the company, you did everything exactly right. His attitude could have potentially harmed that company, if it has not done so already.

If he already had multiple warnings, I find it unlikely that his attitude is going to change. Which means you have to decide what is more important to you - his friendship or the company and your future with it?

As his friend, you could have been a bit more discreet, air your grievance with him in private.

As an employee of the company, you did everything exactly right. His attitude could have potentially harmed that company, if it has not done so already.

If he already had multiple warnings, I find it unlikely that his attitude is going to change. Which means you have to decide what is more important to you - his friendship or the company and your future with it?

Hmm do you call your work colleagues a friend? I don't know - I wouldn't go out for a drink socially with him I don't think. We get on fine mostly on work related things, but I find his sense of humour a bit offensive (i.e. he only ever makes jokes at other people's expense).

That said - would you let a friend continue being rude to customers? This is assuming you've tried having a quiet word in the past and it didn't work, or knowing that he's had disciplinary hearings. I think my theory was that it wasn't my place to tell him how to treat customers.

Hmm do you call your work colleagues a friend? I don't know - I wouldn't go out for a drink socially with him I don't think. We get on fine mostly on work related things, but I find his sense of humour a bit offensive (i.e. he only ever makes jokes at other people's expense).

For most of my work colleagues, no I would not call them a friend - even the ones I get along well with. I just assumed you were calling this guy a friend because of the following.

This really riled me, since we are sort of friends

He also said that he expected some leniency from his friends. I don't think being friends should excuse you from acting like a professional.

---
That said - would you let a friend continue being rude to customers? This is assuming you've tried having a quiet word in the past and it didn't work, or knowing that he's had disciplinary hearings. I think my theory was that it wasn't my place to tell him how to treat customers.

It depends on how much I value and respect the company. If, for whatever reason, I didn't like my job or the company, I probably would not rat out my friend. But if I expected a career there and planned to move up in the company, I would have to weigh my choices. In this situation I would have done exactly what you did. From the way you describe the guy's attitude, he would only hold others and the company back.

But if this guy is not even a friend, what are you worried about? A betrayal of trust merely because the two of you had a good work relationship? Private words have been had, disciplinary action has been taken. The guy isn't listening. Anything that happens now, he brought upon himself. With four warnings against him already, it is inevitable.

I think my theory was that it wasn't my place to tell him how to treat customers.

If you aren't his superior, it's not. But as an employee of the company, it is your place to report his behavior towards the customers to his manager. Which you did. And apparently others have as well. Then the manager can deal with it as he/she sees fit. Which also happened.

My theory is you feel kind of guilty because you could get along with the guy when that lovely attitude of his wasn't directed towards you. Stop feeling guilty. You gave him chances. So did everyone else.

Crush that proletariat bastard beneath your iron heel.

A couple of thoughts...

1) I don't think your friendship was important to him if he had a go at you when all you said was "Good morning". So I wouldn't feel guilty for him as a friend.

2) I don't think it's your responsibility to ensure his continued employment, so I don't think you should feel guilty for that, either.

I think that what you did was a perfectly reasonable thing to do. It wasn't the only reasonable thing to do, though, which I guess is why you don't know how to feel. I would feel vindicated by the fact that others did the same as you, and complained about him too.

I wouldn't feel bad that I did it, I would feel bad that I had to do it.

Even if you acted in a way that you were completely comfortable with - even in hindsight - and put it as delicately and privately as possible to him....

...he's unlikely to pay it any more attention than he has three formal warnings.

Move on, forget it...

He was yelling at you in front of your clients I would have asked your boss to personally impale him on a rusty metal spike. complaining to the higher ups(in this case) is perfectly legitimate. It's nice to socialize, but at the end of the day it's really about your career and not about how many incompetent coworkers you can befriend

Everyone here has made good points and wouldn't feel bothered by the situation he put you in. I don't have a high tolerance for people like this and frankly he was completely out of line, stressed or not. Most importantly, what happened with the client? How'd you handle that?

I think it was weak to email him and CC his manager. I'd have just told him to his face, at another time when he was mellow.

As it turns out, I have no problems with what happened to him. If he's on the record for similar incidents at least 3 times, he should probably be fired anyway.

There is no excuse for inappropriate behavior at work, especially in front of clients. End of story. If he has a history of such outbursts he should look for other work. Your were correct in your behavior. :thumbsup:

BTW, what kind of business are you in?

Everyone has a bad day, but when you try several time to chill him out and he keeps being unprofessional he crossed the line.

Everyone has a bad day, but when you try several time to chill him out and he keeps being unprofessional he crossed the line.

Bingo.

Don't feel bad about it. Even if you were 'sort of' friends, this just shows that not all people one is friends with always do everything right. If he is smart, he learns his lesson now. but what you dewscribe, especially the three previous warnings..... my guess would be that he will not be your colleague much longer anyways.

Well, to be honest, I feel bad that it could go really badly for him if he doesn't change his attitude, but I don't feel bad that I did what I thought I had to do.

Whomp, I didn't see the customers again after that - they were quite shocked and a bit awkward that they step out of the lift and hear this guy ranting and raving about the lifts. They kept their head down and went into their conference and I didn't see them again the whole day.

Birdjaguar, I work at a conference and exhibition centre - I'm an events executive, which is basically a junior event manager. I work mostly on what's called the carpeted areas which are the meeting rooms attached to the main exhibition halls and also in the purpose-build conference centre in the middle of the venue. I hope to move up into a full event manager role in the next 10 months or so.

I got an formal apology today and a brief off-the-records chat to him about it. We were both very civil, but he seemed to think that my offer of a coffee was an apology for grassing him up to his boss and I said in no uncertain terms that I was sorry for the position he was in, but I wasn't apologising for what I did. I didn't get a reply after that!

I think it might be worthwhile for this guy to call the client for damage control. He should be a stand up guy and apologize for his juvenile behavior.

That's a tricky one - the people who walked by were attendees of a conference (while not our direct client, a customer at the venue none-the-less). I knew which conference they were attending but no way of identifying who exactly it was...

That's a tricky one - the people who walked by were attendees of a conference (while not our direct client, a customer at the venue none-the-less). I knew which conference they were attending but no way of identifying who exactly it was...

May very well just draw attention to it, esp if they didnt mention it to the organisers. Perhaps better to just push the boat out a little with the cust for a while, and kiss some booty.

Top Bottom