Factories without Coal

Krajzen

Deity
Hi guys, I have following question:

what happens if player makes trade deal in which he receives coal, uses that coal to build Factories, and then trade deal ends and that player has no longer coal?
Do those factories stop giving bonus, or do they work perfectly (which could be cool cheat)? :p

They work just fine without coal, due to the fact that apparently the factories REALLY QUICKLY switch over to burning something else when you run out of coal.
....Civ can be a very odd game sometimes.

As it turns out, human feces are quite flammable. Solves two problems this way.

Coal-less factories is good to know, the only issue here is that all the other AI players take all the money to buy a factory by making research agreements while one is busy building wonders.

I've always found this weird, so I'm always compelled to buy up to 0 coal anyway after I'm done building factories, even if it costs me a little bit of gold to do so. I suppose this is completely unnecessary though, oh well. Nice to know that there's no production penalty for having negative coal.

I've always found this weird, so I'm always compelled to buy up to 0 coal anyway after I'm done building factories, even if it costs me a little bit of gold to do so. I suppose this is completely unnecessary though, oh well. Nice to know that there's no production penalty for having negative coal.
"In 1855, the scientists of noble Byzantium were able to transform the face of the Empire by way of the astonishing discovery of anti-matter. While some heretical priests claim that divine forces were involved, the scientists posit that they simply ended a trade deal after obtaining some coal for their newfangled 'factorivms'. The implausibility of such a crackpot explanation lead the Empire's philosophers to speculate that we may in fact live in a simulated world. The recent discovery of Arabian camelhorses seemed to lend credence to their theory; that is, until the Emperor had both the philosophers and the scientists beheaded, because (his exact words): "maan, we gots da an-dai-maa-da.who needs dees klauns nau?'. Needless to say, without their heads the scholars found it difficult to continue discussions, and the matter was settled. For now the factories are run on antimatter, although no one understands why or how."

(Yes, I need some sleep. I'll go get it now. :D)

"In 1855, the scientists of noble Byzantium were able to transform the face of the Empire by way of the astonishing discovery of anti-matter. While some heretical priests claim that divine forces were involved, the scientists posit that they simply ended a trade deal after obtaining some coal for their newfangled 'factorivms'. The implausibility of such a crackpot explanation lead the Empire's philosophers to speculate that we may in fact live in a simulated world. The recent discovery of Arabian camelhorses seemed to lend credence to their theory; that is, until the Emperor had both the philosophers and the scientists beheaded, because (his exact words): "maan, we gots da an-dai-maa-da.who needs dees klauns nau?'. Needless to say, without their heads the scholars found it difficult to continue discussions, and the matter was settled. For now the factories are run on antimatter, although no one understands why or how."

(Yes, I need some sleep. I'll go get it now. :D)

lol :D

I appreciate this thread for the same reason, and my similar compulsive behavior. :blush:

They work just fine without coal, due to the fact that apparently the factories REALLY QUICKLY switch over to burning something else when you run out of coal.
....Civ can be a very odd game sometimes.
Would have made more sense anyway if they had instead made a number of power sources - Coal Plant, Oil Plant, Hydroplant, Solar Powerplant, Nuclear Powerplant - and then have factories require either one present in town. This would make more sense from a logical pov. and would have removed some of the pain of starting on a continent that turns out to have zero coal - something that seems to happen to me more often than not.

That's how it used to work in Civ 4, wasn't it? Factories needed power to get their full production bonus, and that power had to be supplied by a coal, hydro, or nuclear plant.
Yeah, that was how it worked. Seems more logical. They might even have intended it that way, there's an unused building icon for something that might have been a coal plant floating around.

Why would factories need coal after they are built? Obviously, the factory buildings themselves are constructed out of coal bricks. Surely you people don't think that hydro plants burn aluminum for power, do you?

Sheesh, I don't even want to know what you think nuclear plants are doing with their ultra-modern uranium building materials.

Why would factories need coal after they are built? Obviously, the factory buildings themselves are constructed out of coal bricks. Surely you people don't think that hydro plants burn aluminum for power, do you?

Sheesh, I don't even want to know what you think nuclear plants are doing with their ultra-modern building materials.

Factories burned coal for energy, early on. Many still do.

Yeah... this negative coal thing is a bit annoying.... It seems with Industrialization, in most games, I usually have lots of Gold, but quite often no coal, or only a small deposit....

So I'll often look around for a CS with coal....sometimes that can be a problem, but usually not...rush-build, say, three factories to get both the production boost and start the Ideology tree, then basically forget about coal as a strategic resource....

If the CS isn't otherwise worth bothering about, I'll let the alliance lapse. Then for the rest of the game be annoyed by the negative coal number that seems to be compelling me to do something about it...:)

Ask any factory close to where you live. They all need coal to work. Its a fact!:xmassign:

Top Bottom