1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Main site is finally re-opened! We migrated it to a new CMS and gave it a new layout as well.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Downloads database has been migrated and re-opened! Check it out and post in Site Feedback if any issue. We have done URL re-write so that old links will continue to work.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A new Civ6 theme forum style is now available and it's made the default forum style! Check it out and comment here.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. We have successfully migrated the forum from vBulletin to Xenforo! Please take a look around and report any issue you see in Site Feedback.
    Dismiss Notice

Failed to Initialize Renderer LOG

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by adams_antics, Oct 27, 2005.

1. adams_antics

adams_antics Chieftain

Oct 27, 2005
    ok.. since my job is to do tech support (for a different company, NOT firaxis), i know how these things work.. we could be waiting FOREVER for a fix for this.

so here's my idea.. WE find a solution... i tried the windows updates, driver revert, reupdate, etc. no resolution (i have an AMD Athlon XP 2600+, Radeon 9600 128mb, XP sp2, etc)

so i started poking around in my civ game settings... the app folder didn't have much, so i went to...

C:\Documents and Settings\Adam\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\

edited the CivilizationIV.ini file, changed around a few values, couldn't fix the problem, so i turned on the logging...

LoggingEnabled = 1
    MessageLog = 1

then i ran it again and checked out the log folder, i found this in the init.log file:

[667.296] ERR: Initialize Renderer failed - parameters:
    - width = 1024
    - height = 768
    - flags = 0x8
    - hwnd = 0x490108
    - adaptrid = 0
    - deviceid = 1
    [667.296] DBG: Failed to Initialize Renderer - Check DirectX Version

i noticed changing other values (like fullscreen=ask) did affect the startup, but when i changed the screen height/width, it did not. but it's the adaptrid that has me concerned.

so then.. i installed it on my old computer, it was having the other problem mentioned about the black map, but the game starts, so i checked the log on it. i scoured through the logs but could not find any helpful information, it went right past that ERR part without the details... i did notice on the PythonDbg.log, the comp that errors has the last line "load_module CvTranslator", and the old one continues on "8 SCREEN TURNED ON".. then keeps going.

i'm done for the night.

j/w though.. for anyone that has called tech support.. do they even turn on these logs or try changing any game settings at all?