Fall from Heaven 2 doesn'r run in Windows 7?

Donegal

Chieftain
I have installed the 0.41 version with the last patch. The mod is in advance options->mods in beyond the sword menu but it doesn't run
The paths are:
C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword

C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2

The Fall from Heaven 2.ini file has:

[CONFIG]

; Read Game options from XML, not .ini
ForceGameOptions = 1

; Modular XML Loading
ModularLoading = 0

; Custom Art from user folder is not loaded
NoCustomArt = 1

; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
NoCustomAssets = 1

; Scenario file (Single player)
ForceScenario = 0

; No team play allowed
NoTeams = 0

; Always start in the standard era
ForceStandardEra = 0

; Skip the Main menu
SkipMainMenu = 0

; This mod is only for single player games
SinglePlayerOnly = 0

; Allow public maps to be used with this mod
AllowPublicMaps = 1

; Mod Image file
ImageFile = 0

; Name of Mod
Name = Fall from Heaven 2 041

; Description of Mod
Description = Fall from Heaven 2 041

NoCustomScenario = 0

The Name of mod is a bit strange with this 041

Any advice?

Thanks

FfH2 should work just fine with Windows 7.

The contents of your "Fall from Heaven 2.ini" are exactly correct. No changes there are necessary.

You said "The paths are", and listed two paths. Just to be clear, the first is the path to the game (BtS), and the second is the path to the mod (FfH2), correct? Where did you get those paths from? (ie, did you read them from the Windows file directory structure, or from the target line of shortcuts, or from some other source?)

How are you trying to launch the mod? From the Civ4 main menu (ADVANCED->LOAD A MOD), from a shortcut to load FfH2 directly, or some other way? I assume from what you said that you're using the Civ4 main menu, but I want to make certain.

What exactly happens when you try to load FfH2? Does Civ4 reject the mod without trying to load it, does the game crash during loading, do you get to the FfH2 main menu but then are unable to successfully start a game? Are there any error popups during/after the failure, and if so what do they say?

You said "The paths are", and listed two paths. Just to be clear, the first is the path to the game (BtS), and the second is the path to the mod (FfH2), correct?

Yes

Where did you get those paths from? (ie, did you read them from the Windows file directory structure, or from the target line of shortcuts, or from some other source?)

I read them from the Windows file directory structure

How are you trying to launch the mod? From the Civ4 main menu (ADVANCED->LOAD A MOD), from a shortcut to load FfH2 directly, or some other way? I assume from what you said that you're using the Civ4 main menu, but I want to make certain.

Both ways, from CIV4 main menu and directly from the shorcut created by the mod (Fall from Heaven 2.exe)

What exactly happens when you try to load FfH2?

Nothing happens,no errors,nothing. I click on fall from heaven2.exe, seems it's running but nothing appears

Thanks

Maybe the resolution? I have tried several resolutions

Thanks

The file "FallfromHeaven2.exe" is an old version of the Mod; the current installer is called "FallfromHeaven2041d.exe". Based on your responses, that's the only irregularity I see.

If you didn't install the Mod with the current installer then I would suggest that you do so. You can download it from the link in the first post of the Bug Thread. My guide How to Install FfH2 has a section devoted to recovering from a failed installation attempt, which you may find helpful.

(Depending on which old version of the installer you had, patching to version J might result in a good install, or fix nothing. It will be easier to just reinstall with the right installer than to try to sort out which "FallfromHeaven2.exe" you might have.)

I have detected a problem. The mod is in the Civ4 Beyond Sword Menu but when i try to install the patch, it says it doesn't found any 0.41 version mod installed.
I have reinstalled the three files but the problem is still there

What are the names and file sizes of the three files you are using to install?

2009_05_16_FallfromHeaven2041d.exe
FfH2media.exe
FfH2041j.exe

It's the first time I install this mod,so I dont have previous versions of the mod in the PC

2009_05_16_FallfromHeaven2041d.exe
FfH2media.exe
FfH2041j.exe

It's the first time I install this mod,so I dont have previous versions of the mod in the PC

Have you actually run the .exe files? They're the programs for installing the mod, not the mod itself. If you haven't run them, then all you've done is download the installer but not yet installed the mod.

He has at least tried to run the Patch, because the last error message he mentioned occurs during a Patch installation attempt if the Patcher can't locate the Mod. That error sometimes appears with Civ4 Complete even when the Mod is installed in the correct location, so it's unclear exactly what has gone wrong in Donegal's case.

Donegal, I'm not sure exactly where your installation is going wrong. There are a number of problems that could be causing this, including wrong BtS version. You should start over, following my installation guide carefully. Start with the section Recovering from a failed installation attempt, and if you have any questions about the process then let me know.

Solved. I had to change the default instalation path. For any reason, the default path in Program files x36 in Windows 7 doesn't work properly

Directly the path:C:\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword

I think the path Program files x36 in Win 7 is a special one, and require special permissions

I just installed Civ 4, BtS, and FfH on my new Windows 7 labtop. It seems to run fine, except that the initial Civ IV loading screen did not show the normal picture. The resolution also seems quite wrong for this widescreen at first but I changed that. The tech screen resolution still seems off though.

I just started trying to mod (starting with minor changes to the ini) and found it won't let me save anything in that folder. I unselected Read Only, but it says I need to get an administrator's permission. I'm pretty sure I'm the only administrator, so whom do I need to ask?

I just installed Civ 4, BtS, and FfH on my new Windows 7 labtop. It seems to run fine, except that the initial Civ IV loading screen did not show the normal picture. The resolution also seems quite wrong for this widescreen at first but I changed that. The tech screen resolution still seems off though.

I just started trying to mod (starting with minor changes to the ini) and found it won't let me save anything in that folder. I unselected Read Only, but it says I need to get an administrator's permission. I'm pretty sure I'm the only administrator, so whom do I need to ask?

Try to reinstall the game in a folder other than Program files x36

I'd don't quite remember how, but I played around with some authorizations and it now lets me write to things in the Civ IV folder even though it still claims that it is Read Only. After that it still had trouble saving Kael's excel FfH editor, but the files that actually matter can be edited just fine.

Donegal, could you please post on here in more detail as to how you solved your problem. I'm having the exact same problem in that it installs fie, just when i start the mod form either the shortcut or the in game advanced modm menu, it either does not load, or starts to load and then stops before even reaching a menu. Any help would be greatly appreciated, really want to try this one.

*Edit* Scratch that request, finally got it to work.

My problems seem very similar regarding windows 7 installation. How did you get it to work?

If you are using Windows 7 and have installed Civ4 to the default location (which is in the "Program Files (x86)" path), and are having trouble running FfH2, then try this:

Right click Firaxis folder and chose properties, click security tab, click Edit on the middle right, find the Users in the list. It should show things like creator owner, system, <user> (system name\user). Click the Users group and then down below click Full Control. Click apply in the lower right and another window will pop up as the system goes through and changes all of the files in that directory to have those new settings. Once it is done you can close all the open windows. You can now edit, save, change, add, whatever you want to any file within the Firaxis folder.

That should solve the problem, but if not then uninstall Civ4 and reinstall it to another location (some place not in the "Program Files (x86)" folder).

i have the same trouble with ffh not reaching load stage. i can't believe the cure is so simple, will try it when i get back from work. thanks folks :)
------------------------

i followed both suggestions, but it still doesn't work :(

------------------------

yes it does, once you remember to install the 3.19 patch too.....:blush:

Top Bottom