• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Fall patch is out

Nope, there sadly isn't :sad:.
If you have a non-solvable problem with the current patch, then you can only hope that the next patch fixes it :/.

Isn't Steam great? :(

I really hope that the next Civ game doesn't require any such nonsense.

I doubt that very much some how. Lots of people complain about Steam and have asked 2K several times to issue a non Steam version but they wont listen to what there customers are telling them. The fail patch really highlights why there should be a non Steam version that way if you had a problem with the patch all you have to do is do a uninstall and do a re install with the previous version of the patch.

They also should have this game at GG as DRM free and not Steam.

I doubt that very much some how. Lots of people complain about Steam and have asked 2K several times to issue a non Steam version but they wont listen to what there customers are telling them. The fail patch really highlights why there should be a non Steam version that way if you had a problem with the patch all you have to do is do a uninstall and do a re install with the previous version of the patch.

They also should have this game at GG as DRM free and not Steam.

Hopefully, steam goes by the wayside and a better online game site comes online. Either that or do away with it, unless you choose to play multiplayer. Steam has been awful lately. Nothing is updated properly. Their slacking off! They sure do collect your money, but what a hell of a time it is to fix your own games when updates and patches come out.

Hopefully, steam goes by the wayside and a better online game site comes online. Either that or do away with it, unless you choose to play multiplayer. Steam has been awful lately. Nothing is updated properly. Their slacking off! They sure do collect your money, but what a hell of a time it is to fix your own games when updates and patches come out.

Steam can break games and i have seen this first hand with ETW which was a real disaster when it first came out. If you have a retail version of a game that dosent need Steam and that game is also available through Steam the non Steam game will get the patch first.

My issue is with 2K they should give gamers the choice of either having Steam or a non Steam version. And to be honest i am not sure how 2K and other gaming companies get away with this. And is 2K going to start to have non Steam games in the EU because of the changes that the EU have made regarding ownership rights to the gamer. As for Steam i don't think they will go anywhere however EA would love to get there hands on it if they could and if that happen it would be a lot worse for gamers than it is now however Valve have stated that EA would never get Steam.

Is it possible to do this?:
1) Backup your game
2) Steam applies patch and you are not happy because the patch is bugged
4) You tell steam to not update your game any more
5) You re-install the game from the backup
6) You play the game as per usual

Would this not work?
Cheers

Is it possible to do this?:
1) Backup your game
2) Steam applies patch and you are not happy because the patch is bugged
4) You tell steam to not update your game any more
5) You re-install the game from the backup
6) You play the game as per usual

Would this not work?
Cheers

I'm pretty sure that this wouldn't work. You can force Steam to launch your game without patching if and only if you set it to offline mode before the patch came out and stay in offline mode.

In step 2, Steam now "knows" about the new version. When you re-install at step 5, Steam will see the game as "out-of-date" and require an update before it will launch the game, thus step 6 will fail.

I seconded what Kwami said.I would hope that in the future if we must be saddled with Steam then they just implement a rollback system on patches cuz the current system sucks.:mad:

Steam can break games and i have seen this first hand with ETW which was a real disaster when it first came out. If you have a retail version of a game that dosent need Steam and that game is also available through Steam the non Steam game will get the patch first.

My issue is with 2K they should give gamers the choice of either having Steam or a non Steam version. And to be honest i am not sure how 2K and other gaming companies get away with this. And is 2K going to start to have non Steam games in the EU because of the changes that the EU have made regarding ownership rights to the gamer. As for Steam i don't think they will go anywhere however EA would love to get there hands on it if they could and if that happen it would be a lot worse for gamers than it is now however Valve have stated that EA would never get Steam.

Music to my ears. I also had ETW and saw how Steam helped screw everyone with that. But many other games have been affected by it. I don`t mind if others want it, but it should not be forced. Frankly they shouldn`t get away with it.

I wish Firaxis would listen to us, butthey just don`t seem to care, like CA of the TW games and other publishers. Only a very few give Steam as optional. It`s real sad.

p.s. Just the other day I met a girl-gamer in a computer store and she was totally against Steam. She felt it was also unfair and even undemocratic, etc. I was amazed to find someone outside of the net who felt the same about it.

Music to my ears. I also had ETW and saw how Steam helped screw everyone with that. But many other games have been affected by it. I don`t mind if others want it, but it should not be forced. Frankly they shouldn`t get away with it.

I wish Firaxis would listen to us, butthey just don`t seem to care, like CA of the TW games and other publishers. Only a very few give Steam as optional. It`s real sad.

p.s. Just the other day I met a girl-gamer in a computer store and she was totally against Steam. She felt it was also unfair and even undemocratic, etc. I was amazed to find someone outside of the net who felt the same about it.

I know there are many games besides ETW that had problems on Steam. However ETW was the biggest problem that gamers have ever encounter on Steam.

I also wished that Firaxis and 2K listen to us and Sid if you ever read this thread please do something about Steam.

There are many people who don't like Steam and don't use it. It makes you wonder how many sales the developers and publishers are losing out on.

This is off topic, but when are the sales on steam typically? I have a couple of games to update EUIII and HoIII. Do they have a holiday sale or something? Sorry to ask on here, not sure where to find the quick questions and answers thread.

Steam is probably the best thing to happen to PC gaming in years. Lotta mountains being made out of molehills in this thread.

This is off topic, but when are the sales on steam typically? I have a couple of games to update EUIII and HoIII. Do they have a holiday sale or something? Sorry to ask on here, not sure where to find the quick questions and answers thread.

they have big christmas and summer sales, usually 2 weeks long with new deals everyday. when they happen there is usually a post or two in here or you can just make a point to check steam each day for a while, even if you just want to login for 1 minute then exit.

Steam is probably the best thing to happen to PC gaming in years. Lotta mountains being made out of molehills in this thread.

I see there are a lot of people who love Steam but i am not one of them. And it is debatable if it has been good for the PC.

I see there are a lot of people who love Steam but i am not one of them. And it is debatable if it has been good for the PC.
Well, I guess it must have been good for indie games (honestly, I really don't know, as the only games I play on PC are Blizzard/Civ games, I've always been a console player)

It encourages impulse buying, since it's a quick and easy shop.

I do wish they had more overt patching, so that you were prompted before installing a patch, and could revert if necessary. But if there aren't problems with the patches, it's nice having it there, the ability to save to the cloud to take between machines, and the ease of having patching and downloading games done for you.

Top Bottom