Fallout: Tame The Wastes

Hey just got back into Civ IV thanks to a mate asking me about mods and found this thing floating around.
i love Civ IV and think its better than civ V and i love Fallout so a merger of the 2 in my eyes is awesome. well the 5.5 alpha doesn't work for me it just crashes 1/2 way through load up so originally i thought it maybe a patch went and got the full release Alpha 5.0 version and that one works mostly like a charm i'm inundated by creatures from about turn 9 or 10 not sure if it's sposed to be that way but it was a bit OTT in my opinion but all in all i can work with it.

i've noticed a few people are having trouble with the 5.5 version on various platforms so i am just wondering are you still working on this ? or is that it for this mod ?

all the best and thank you for your efforts on this project

Hi ya,

There are a few modifications that I need to update in the 5.5 version which may help with the random stability problem.

(We still have not solved it for sure as none of the people working on it have consistently had the problem)

I unfortunately do not have the abiolity to work on this particular issue, I rely on another member who comes and goes with his own schedule. He usualy appears for a week, fixes stuff I have struggled with for months and then drifts off back to wander the wastelands.

I have not been well since the christmas release, so have not really worked on anything. There is an update that I need to merge and release, I just have not got around to it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/falloutttw/

If you are a bit savvy you can find them there and merge them yourself.

Also there are a couple of tricks you can try that have worked for some peole avoiding the crashing.

Load the mod several times in a row.
Run the mod direct from a shortcut.
Run the game/mod in a windows compatibility mode.

I don't know if I will be continuing with the mod, most of the team has dried up and the next move I want to make is very large and requires a lot of planning and xml work, this was always much more interesting when I had people to work/design with.

So I don't know.

The Barb design is intentional, though they should not enter your borders until later in the game (later than turn 9-10) The idea is that you cannot easily/quickly expand, you either need large defensive stacks and be willing to sacrifice them to get where you need to, or you expand but hopping just outside your borders and founding.

thank you for your efforts good sir :) it's looking good so far aesthetically i can't wait till the whole project is finished :)

Hi sloul, you should come over to our main forum to discuss ideas. :)

As for installing, you just need to add the contents (assets and PrivateMaps folders) inside the Fallout-TTW folder and let it overwrite. That's it. If you can tell me what you are doing I can tell you where you are going wrong. If you managed to install the mod, then you know how to install mods to steam version already.

As for your suggestions, here are my brief thoughts:

The game starts in the 'Pre-F1' era (I actually label them correctly in this last patch I think.. or maybe I did that after! anyway..)

So many of the advanced start ideas you had are not really valid, although you are more than welcome to make a scenario with pre-formed faction groups, like NCR with the Hub, etc.

Much of the faction specific content has not been done yet (too many jobs to do all by myself!) So I will try and mix up those starting techs a bit at a later date so not everyone has the same or weird choices.

Many of your ideas I just have no idea how to implement.. though much of your train of thought is the same as mine in terms of faction identity. (although I would not give ghouls tech slow)

I am mostly still chipping away at the core of the game, rather than the faction specific stuff, but working on my own it is becoming more than I can do, due to health problems, and since the team has mostly dried up it is not so much fun to do in isolation, so I don't know how much work I will be doing to it unless I can get some new team members on board to help with all the jobs.

Anyway, stop by the main forum, and you will see lots of the thoughts surrounding the ideas and current work.

A New Alpha Release:

A Post Apocalyptic Mod Based on the Fallout Series of Games

Download Link and Mod Thread Here!

Alpha5.52 Patch Release! (17/06/2016)
Alpha5.51 Release! (22/05/2016)
Alpha5.5 Release! (18/12/2015)
PatchBoy1000 Released (07/11/2015)
Alpha5 Release! (09/02/2015)
Alpha4 Release! (05/05/2014)
A4 PatchA Release! (21/05/2014)
A4 PatchB Release! (28/05/2014)

Can you be more specific about what we exactly is neccessary to dowbload and install?

Is it just:
Alpha5.52 Patch Release
Alpha5.5 Release

I find this happens to me from time to time and we could never find a reason why.

I think i have had it happen with vanilla cIV on win 10.

what I do is set a shortcut on the desktop to run the mod (make it quicker to start) then just load it 2 or 3 times when it gets in a bad mood and then it just works fine after that.

No idea why!?!

Ok, now that is weird.. I tested and after 5-6 load I finally get to main menu without crash. Only way to get in game was that play now- option, custom game cause crash.

This is a great mod, thanks for that. Yes, a couple of things are missing to make it perfect.

One particular and maybe achievable item would be gaining the opportunity to access the other vault/non-vault group's production lines. It is a great feature for vault civilizations to be limited to predefined settling spots, I love that (although it hurts when that corn resource is just out of reach of 3 cities, but that's part of it). But late game that is kind of silly and frustrating not be be colonize that sweet spot of land just because there is no vault. It is called tame the waste after all ;)

The seemingly obvious choice to realize this would be capture cities and be able to build foreign settlers there. However, vault/non-vault dweller is tied to civilization and checked as that in canFound() / canFoundReal() in CvPlayerAI.cpp . Since there is no obvious input of the current unit, this might be the reason why this is not implemented yet. A workaround might be to get the unit (vault, non-vault settler type) with these coordinates (presumably breaking settling preview, but anyway) - don't know if that is a good idea. I have no real modding experience here, this is just a first look at the code. Anyone thoughts on that?

A simpler way out of this might be to create a mit/late game tech to allow settling anywhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom