Famed 'A Beautiful Mind' mathematician John Nash, wife, killed in N.J. Turnpike crash

I am amazed to learn that there are places with seatbelt laws that do not extend to adults in the back. It has been mandatory here since before I was born.

There are sizable numbers of Americans who still resist wearing seatbelts at all, and think seatbelt laws at all are excessive government intrusion.

That's true, and I'm one of them. The insurance companies are behind it, not like the government cares about people. Someone doesn't want to put on a seat belt why should the government care? Education is one thing, but once people know the risks, if they want to run them, not my problem.

Police should be enforcing agaist people who commit a crime, not against people who d o n ' t do something.

Someone doesn't want to put on a seat belt why should the government care?

Data shows that they save many lives.

I realize that certain governments, and quite often it seems the American government, are corrupt and often get in bed with corporations, advocacy groups, and the like.

But we should not ignore this data. It would lead to a lot of tragedy and broken up families and worse.

I always wear my seatbelt. If I'm driving I ask everyone to put on their seatbelts, but theydon't have to, they can leave the vehicle. Only the fact that I'm diving gives me the right to insist. That and its either my vehicle or I know the person whose vehicle it is feels the same way. If I was driving the vehicle of someone who never wore them I'd put mine on but not insist, unless a member of my immediate family was in the vehicle. "Abby, seatbelt." My kids can't say no but my wife could, but we feel the same about them.

I don't like the government telling me what to do however.

There's no way in hell I'm going to "stop being rebellious", that's my duty as an American. That's how we remain free.

I always wear my seatbelt. If I'm driving I ask everyone to put on their seatbelts, but theydon't have to, they can leave the vehicle. Only the fact that I'm diving gives me the right to insist. That and its either my vehicle or I know the person whose vehicle it is feels the same way. If I was driving the vehicle of someone who never wore them I'd put mine on but not insist, unless a member of my immediate family was in the vehicle. "Abby, seatbelt." My kids can't say no but my wife could, but we feel the same about them.

There's no way in hell I'm going to "stop being rebellious", that's my duty as an American. That's how we remain free.
Yeah, but if thousands of people are dying because they're not wearing seat belts and this is becoming a major strain on the economy and healthcare system, a law seems pretty reasonable.

The insurance companies don't want to pay the claims. All the counter arguments are put into the culture by the media, controlled by big business. Other than that its just a good idea to wear one, but watch out if the government can force us to do everything that it thinks is a good idea. You'll see what I mean when we get our first gay president. Ouch! :sad:

I am amazed to learn that there are places with seatbelt laws that do not extend to adults in the back. It has been mandatory here since before I was born.

Not however before I was born, and we got by okay. Also, here in the Philippines there are no seatbelts on mass transit and many vehicles you can buy and somehow the place is growing at 7%+.

Seatbelts save lives. If you don't wear one, you are not only endangering your own life, but if you fly out and hit my windshield, maybe mine as well. So wear your seatbelt; stop being rebellious.

I will not.

You stop driving like a maniac, and I'll stop relying on my judgement to avoid colliding with you.

That's fine, but don't ignore data that can save a lot of lives just because you don't like your government. That would be irresponsible in a "shooting yourself in the nose to spite the face" type of way.

I will not.

You stop driving like a maniac, and I'll stop relying on my judgement to avoid colliding with you.

You're neglecting the possibility that a third vehicle launches your journey to MjMs windshield.

I remember that my grandfather had a car that was from before the mandatory seatbelts, and was allowed to keep driving it*, but yeah, otherwise exactly this.

* I suppose you could say it was grandfathered in :hatsoff:

You're neglecting the possibility that a third vehicle launches your journey to MjMs windshield.

It's entirely possible, but extremely unlikely, imo.

Much more likely is people having accidents out of a mistaken sense of security that a seat belt gives them.

I, on the other hand, am alert at all times to every vehicle I can see.

The biggest danger I face is from on-coming vehicles driven by reckless lunatics. (Even though I fancy I can spot the worst of them.) And just how a head-on collision is going to result in me being launched out of my seat into someone else's windscreen, I don't know.

...not like the government cares about people. Someone doesn't want to put on a seat belt why should the government care?

Well, they might care. But let's pretend they only care about having to clean up the corpses after people are killed in an accident.

The insurance companies don't want to pay the claims. All the counter arguments are put into the culture by the media, controlled by big business. Other than that its just a good idea to wear one, but watch out if the government can force us to do everything that it thinks is a good idea. You'll see what I mean when we get our first gay president. Ouch! :sad:

That's when the ambien kicked in.

Almost every country has a seat belt law, even ones with very different healthcare systems and levels of corporate influence. And it's really not the frivolous violation of liberty you're making it out to be, nor does it open the door to oppression anymore than compulsory education or a bunch of other things you're probably perfectly comfortable with. Plus most seat belt laws in the US are state laws, so you can do without the big federal government rhetoric.

I'm curious as to what you're getting at with the gay remark, though you should probably just keep it to yourself.

Okay, so we'll have to agree to disagree I guess. :) The government should look after the roads and the military, and provide education to all serious students right up through college. That's all I can think of right now, long day.

Top Bottom