FAQ's on Installation & Patches

Don't download the patch from the game screen.

Use this link to the patch mirrors.

Welcome to the Forums SallJR. :beer:

First of all Thank you Supr49er for the help. I downloaded the patch and it still wont let me install the game. Was I suppose to save the patch to a certain folder before I installed BtS? Thanks again Supr

SallJR

Sounds like you might need to patch your vanilla Civ IV first.
Then install BTS.
Then install the BTS 3.17 patch.

I'd like to apologize. I may be a big reason for this thread, lol. I have 30 some-odd posts now and almost all of them are technical questions. :p

I have had Civilization since my 14th birthday, so that means I have been in the civ world for little over 2 years now. And in the last month alone, I have learned everything I know about installing/patching (which is hardly anything, but I am proud of myself) and other stuff without using an included manual that comes with programs. So I may be able to help on this thread. I can give beginner advice to beginners.
EDIT: I play RFC and RAND all the time so I patch a lot when updates for those come out.

Here is a couple things that could help.
-Screenshots
-If you are on a family computer, and are having trouble opening/ downloading files, I suggest working on your computer's Administrator account.

I may add more to this list later.

Thanks for the thread, for I may be on it a lot. :lol:

When I tried ggganz solution it said I had the 1.09 on PC and that it was not compatible with the 1.74 patch and I had to unistall 1.09 version to install the 1.74 version. Help please

Good advice from ori.

Welcome to the Forums sgt.fury. :beer:

Hello. Figured I'd ask in case someone has a solution. I have BTS installed on my laptop which is running Vista 32bit. Anytime I choose to enter an advisor screen, the game hangs for maybe 15 seconds or so before finally launching the screen. The game itself seems to run fine and is very responsive otherwise. I do not have the same issue when running a Warlords or Vanilla game. My old XP system which is currently in storage never had this problem.

Has anyone encountered this issue and have a solution?

Thanks!

I am sure this has been answered somewhere already but I can't find it... how can you tell what version you're patched to? I used Direct2Drive to download BTS the other day and then when I installed it seemed to check for a patch and install one... but how do I know what it installed? I thought there was a way to check in game but I can't find it.

Thanks for listening!

Ender

I am sure this has been answered somewhere already but I can't find it... how can you tell what version you're patched to? I used Direct2Drive to download BTS the other day and then when I installed it seemed to check for a patch and install one... but how do I know what it installed? I thought there was a way to check in game but I can't find it.

Thanks for listening!

Ender

I don't have the game in front of me, but I believe from the main screen, choose Advanced Option and then About this Build. That should tell you the patch level.

Hi guys. Need some help if y'all don't mind. I recently erased everything on my computer...so I had to reinstall Civ 4 and Civ 4 BTS onto my laptop. Everything went well until I tried installing BTS. Whenever I put CD 1 in, an alert comes up that the installation has aborted because it can not install a patch. Is this a common problem or do I need to provide some more details. Thanks for your time!

• Patch Civ IV to 1.61
  • Patch Civ IV to 1.74
  • Install BTS
  • Patch BTS to 3.17

Trying to play multiplayer BtS, one of the players involved comes up as a 'mod' though and loses sync if we try to play.

Everyone has BtS 3.17 + Solver's Unofficial 3.17 patch.

Any clues how to troubleshoot this?

Namely, in the About this Build menu, will the guy with the problem show a different build if he's messed up the Unofficial patch or something?

Read through this thing but didnt find any similar issues that I am having.

Got Civ 4 + BTS ( real disks - also using Vista )
Installed the Civ IV, then tried to install BTS.

Got the message about missing patches. So I logged into the Civ IV game and check "latest update" and found I was missing 1.74. I DL 1.61 to obtain 1.74 patch from firaxis.com site.

I goto install BTS again and it goes to the same spot where I found out I was missing the Patches, but insted of error, the Game just dissapears.

I tried this again, but used the "Ctrl Alt Delete" to see what programs are running. Nothing was running intill i tried to install BTS, went to the same point then it disapeared again and lost it on my programs running Queque.
I think I saw a msg (came and went fast) that says something about checking DirectX, before I lost the Civ IV BTS download screen.
I have all windows updates possible from what I read to do before trying to Load Civ IV from disk.

Even though my Laptop has nothing running in its Queque, there was something that was still working. So I let the Laptop sit and hope that maybe it was thinking long and hard to pull up the next step. . . gave it 5min then looked in "my computer" for any hint of BTS, nothing. Went back to firaxis.com to update BTS patches 3.17, Cannot download until BTS has been installed. So that tells me it wasnt added.

I have 2 Disks for BTS and it has not asked ever for the 2nd disk.

Halp:cry:
--edit--
I did see someone mention something about Vinilla on this Topic, I do not know what that is, nor am I sure I have that. Is that required?

Vanilla = Civ IV.
BTS is the expansion pack.

• Install Civ IV - start it up to make sure it works.
  • Install only the Civ IV 1.74 patch - test it.
  • Install BTS - test it.
  • Install the BTS 3.17 patch from this site. Test it.

Welcome to the Forums Finale. :beer:

Vanilla = Civ IV.
BTS is the expansion pack.

• Install Civ IV - start it up to make sure it works.
  • Install only the Civ IV 1.74 patch - test it.
  • Install BTS - test it.
  • Install the BTS 3.17 patch from this site. Test it.

Welcome to the Forums Finale. :beer:
Thanks for the reply, 49er

Did that, but: I couldnt patch 1.74 until I had Patch 1.61.
Then: Tried to installed BTS, but it "Stoped" ( no errors or anything just stoped) screen went back to desktop. Was that suppose to happen?

Bad things get worst, my bro un-installed everything. Did a Diskdefragmentation, which locked up the laptop. Now I cannot even Download Disk 2 of Civ IV and computer keeps locking up :eek: . . . Have to find out what exactly what he did and try to fix it, Laptop is under 1 year old :mad: stuff like this shouldn't happen . . . yet.

Kind of confused how the Civ IV went from working to cannot load disk 2.
Also does Civ IV have any limited # of Downloading? IE: SecuROM protection?

so im trying to download the patch for bts via the update function and my computer has been sitting here for 2 hours telling me i cant go anywhere because the patch is installing,, is this normal or is my comp just sitting here with a frozen program running?

long time player and quite because of too many bugs but thought id try it again as friends have started playing,, so far im not impressed, again.

Top Bottom