Fastest Science Victory Post Patch?

McLovin1022

Chieftain
I am just curious, how fast have you all had a science victory post patch? I had one game as the Aztecs where I won in the year 1710 AD. The map was Pangea, standard settings other than policy savings, raging barbs (duh, I am the Aztecs...), and quick combat. I also think I had abundant resources. This was on prince though so I didn't have to build many units at all...

I got a fantastic start next to a river, a mountain, plenty of food, marble, 2 silver, 2 stone, and some jungle and hills. My second and third city were also fantastic and between those I had silver, gems, silk, cotton, and marble. I made 5 cities total although the first 3 were the main ones. My capital was producing more than 400 science near the end and the other two were producing over 200 each. My policies were finishing tradition first, then saving for rationalism. My build was something like, Jaguar, worker, settler, floating gardens, hanging gardens, great library national college.

I probably could have finished in the 1600s if I saved the rationalism finisher until later or made a few more research agreements.

So how fast have other people gotten science victories post patch? :crazyeye:

Most of the time I get domination or time victory. I have gotten a few where I won in the 1800s/1900s via science.

I just got a Science win on Emperor in 1878, with all default settings. This was with Babylon. I had a science focus, but didn't really go all in to try and win as absolutely fast as possible. Only 2 RAs the whole game, as AI kept being broke or declaring war.

Plus, it was a pangaea and I was next to Alexander and Montezuma, so dealing with their inevitable hostilities diverted me from my research path some. I would imagine one could pull in a science win in the 1700s or even late 1600s with some luck in a more peaceful game / map type.

Pre-patch my fastest science victory was 1689 with America, post-patch was Korea 1855. Obviously things have changed hehe.

Pardon me, but I don't understand what the new patch has changed in regard to this.

Very nice. I can't open it due to all the DLC, but if you're in the Future Era on 199 then I believe you won that on turn.

Surprised to see that it's Continents. That used to be the way to go to minimize the potential for AI aggression, but Pangaea is usually faster these days due to the availability of extra early trade partners for redundant luxuries.

Very nice. I can't open it due to all the DLC, but if you're in the Future Era on 199 then I believe you won that on turn.

Surprised to see that it's Continents. That used to be the way to go to minimize the potential for AI aggression, but Pangaea is usually faster these days due to the availability of extra early trade partners for redundant luxuries.

yes, i have all dlc.
I have nanotechnology on 186, apollo on 187, 5 cities finished the spaceships on 199 ( 2 part in capital) with 2 golden ages from GG

My best so far on the new patch is Babylon, Deity, Standard everything at about 210 if I recall correctly.

I messed up a few things so it could've been better. I didn't get a golden age when I should've had it and I couldn't get a solar plant where I wanted it either.

How can you win science so fast?

I did that... had tons of GSs, but you have to get through the entire tech tree... it just seems to take forever.

I did that... had tons of GSs, but you have to get through the entire tech tree... it just seems to take forever.

More cities = higher tech cost. So, I'd assume that like myself, it's a tall empire that can crank out absurd amounts of science.

More cities = higher tech cost. So, I'd assume that like myself, it's a tall empire that can crank out absurd amounts of science.

What do you mean? I thought science was a straight ratio to population?

I had 5 cities... all pretty tall. Is that too many? Should I have less?

What do you mean? I thought science was a straight ratio to population?

I had 5 cities... all pretty tall. Is that too many? Should I have less?

In Single Player, the cost for researching technologies is based on Map Size and the Number of Cities you have at any given moment. Regular/Annexed and Puppeted Cities count toward that cost.

I can't say if 5 is too many, since map size is also a factor.

In Single Player, the cost for researching technologies is based on Map Size and the Number of Cities you have at any given moment. Regular/Annexed and Puppeted Cities count toward that cost.

^^ This. Techs get more expensive when you have more cities. I'm not sure what the magic number is - how much science your Nth city has to generate in order to offset the marginal increase in tech cost - but getting up to that point can definitely slow you down. In my current game (Maya, just King level, I'm not in any way a badass) I have three cities only, focused on growth, and by the late Renaissance I was already running away in tech. I have more than twice the science output of the next most science-y civ (checked via InfoAddict), and with fewer cities than most of them that science output goes a lot further.

I had no idea. I thought that rule only applied to culture. So taller is better.

Top Bottom