Father's Day

dragodon64

Noble
So father's day is coming up and my dad really likes the civilization series, and he especially likes RFC. I think he might also like some games similar to civ, but I don't really know too many turn-based strategy, so if people could suggest some good TBS that they think he might enjoy, that would be great.

Europa Universalis II was my favorite, then they screwed it up with EU III which got rid of the historical events. :mad:

Empire: Total War is pretty fun and strategic. It's turn based in everything but the battles, which are in real time (just in case you don't know anything about the series). Medieval 2: Total War is the same deal, only the game lasts from ~1080 to 1520.

Empire: Total War is pretty fun and strategic. It's turn based in everything but the battles, which are in real time (just in case you don't know anything about the series). Medieval 2: Total War is the same deal, only the game lasts from ~1080 to 1520.

I play Rome: Total War a lot and really like it. How is Empire: Total War and how does it compare? I am a little anxious to see musket battles (melee is the most fun, imo), but hopefully they've done it well enough.

I have both games and I must say RTW is a much better game overall, and a lot more fun to play. Both in the campaign map view and in the real-time battles. However ETW isn't bad at all, it just depends on your computer, the amount of bugs and CTDs, and the graphics (I don't have a computer that good, I play on low and I must say it really makes me want to play RTW more than ETW).
However I am really looking forward to multiplayer campaign game, if your dad has any friends who also like strategy game then I'd suggest buying this game for him and tell him about the upcoming multiplayer campaign feature, so he can tell his friends to buy it too.
So basically my say is RTW>ETW in SP and ETW>RTW in MP.

Europa Universalis II is difficult, old and real-time rather than turn-based. But it's a fantastic game and there's a lot of Civ/EU player overlap.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I looked into all the games suggested, and it seems like Europa Universalis series is what I'm going to get him. He's not into multiplayer or RTS, I've tried to get him into those before. Between EU II and III, what are the main differences and which would you recommend overall?

Once again, thanks.

If you're into historical events, EU II is definitely the one for you. Popups highlight the major events which you have some choice in affecting (e.g. lose a lot of gold when the Jews are expelled or keep them but decrease your stability). Some people complained that this was unreal, so EU III got rid of all these interesting events. I got my Ottoman Empire to conquer essentially most of the HRE and Russia, but it got boring. In Nomine (a EU III expansion) allows you turn on historical events--I haven't played it, but it sounds it might be the best choice for you.

Stability goes from -3 to 3. You can't just declare war willy-nilly, you need a casus belli (which can be obtained by events or you can give the AI one by insulting them). Lots of royal marriages can buy you alliances. And yes, there's lots of religions (including protestantism). The larger your empire, the more expensive the techs.

A lot of the technologies are the same in EU III, which has a little nicer graphics, but the technical details like siege and armies marching are the same. You can access more civs (not just European ones) in EU III but they're not as interesting to play. There are more colonies in EU III too--you have to fight natives and send settlers (who might fail!) to get them.

BTW, EU II/III can be played like RTS, but if you turn the clock down really slow, it is essentially a turn based game.

I highly recommend EU3 complete as it is much much with the expansions and there are some nice mods you can download on this Website. I haven't played EU2 but I have heard it is more like a straightjacket game.

@AnotherPacifist if you have EU3 you must try In Nomine.

I can't play EUIII until I upgrade my computer - how it requires so much video memory, I can't imagine. But from what I've heard, EUII is superior in some ways.

EU3 is much better than EU2. I understand that AP is concerned with less historical events happening in EU3, but the game is not ONLY about this and EU3 In Nomine just has an overwhelming number of improvements over EU2 or even the basic EU3. Besides, the historical events are gone because a great number of players were asking for this. Having the same things happening in all games isn't exactly the main feature of strategic games, which are actually the most "replayable" genre.
There are also other Paradox games similar to the EU series:
- Victoria is set during the industrial revolution. It's much more difficult than EU to play, however.
- Hearts of Iron (one and two) is based during the second world war. I have HoI2 and I don't like it compared to other Paradox games because the timeframe is too short and if you don't play a major power the game is just boring to say the least. If you play a major power it's a real mess and anyways, it's 90% about combat.
- For the middle ages there is Crusader Kings (with Deus Vult expansion) but it's very old by now, however I still play it as it is very interesting in its concepts.

these games are all real time but you can set speed and many concepts are actually closer to turn based games than RTS games. They are sort of in between.

Another game of this genre, which I suggest over these and it is one of my favorites (sadly not very widely known) is Knights of Honor. It is a great game and also visually entertaining.

Lastly if he likes fantasy then definitely Heroes of Might and Magic.

EU III looks awesome, but the graphics card requirements seems daunting. I know I have at least 32MB since I can play CIV, but how/where can I check if our computer has 128MB?

I would highly reccomend Rome Total War with the Expansion PAck Barbarian Invaision. The Battles aren't that hard to pick up on. (they are the only RTS part of the game) They are alot simpler than your average RTS battles because you only have the units you enter the battle with any you just have to focus on them as opposed to researching new technologies and such. Plus there are alot of awsome mods for them. Like The Fourth Age (LOTR) and Chivalry:Total War.

On the plus side RTW came out ~02 so the graphics and comp requirements aren;t that bad. No worse than Civ.

If you are going to play EU3 you MUST have a video card with pixal shader 2.0 or better or it won't work at all.

If any of you are looking into Empire: Total War, just thought you'd might like to know that it's on sale for 50% off on Steam. :)
(I personally haven't played it, nor have I played any of the EU games, though I have Rome: Total War. Pretty good game)

Top Bottom