• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Favorite Ancient World Wonder

What your your favorite Ancient-Era World Wonder

• Temple of Artemis

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Stonehenge

Votes: 35 20.7%
  • The Great Library

Votes: 66 39.1%
  • The Pyramids

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • Mausoleum of Halicarnassus

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Statue of Zeus

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters

ArnoldI

I have no idea what I'm doing in Civ VI
So people, what is your favorite Ancient-Era World Wonder?

My vote goes for Pyramids. With them I get a horde of workers and develop amazingly my cities.

I dont have the ancient wonders pack but I voted for temple of artemis anyhow, I kind of think I might build that if I get around to getting that dlc. Otherwise I have been enjoying pyramids lately as well and of course great library is nice but I am trying to get used to not depending on it too much

Voted ToA. 10% food growth is stronger than 2 beakers, library and a free tech.

Stonehenge.

I'd have gone for Artemis, but I never even attempt to build it as the AI always beats me. Ditto GL which you now have to build so early on King and higher that you end up having to pick a tech you don't really need it for.

I votted pyrimds. I was never able to build GL in immortal level. AI finishes GL so early that it is ridiculous.

I was undecided between Stonehenge and the Pyramids, but come to think of it, it must be Stonehenge. When you build it early, it guarantees a religion with the best beliefs AND it also ensures you'll get a great engineer you can use for the Pyramids.

The Pyramids are pretty useful, but I'm fond of things like free techs and free social policies, so I picked the Great Library, although the Oracle (or is that from a later era?) is pretty sweet too.

Great Library. Getting a key tech such as IW, Philosophy or those that unlock UU/UB early is quite critical. Plus, more science and a free building never hurts.

MY BREAKDOWN

Temple of Artemis GOOD (growth rate lasts entire game, helps in a subtle way)
Stonehenge GREAT (getting religion and enhancers to that religion quickly. Only negative is the urgency to build it is lessened if you settle next to a religious natural wonder like Mt Sinai).
The Great Library GREAT (free tech & free library also equals more access to better wonders, like the Oracle)
The Pyramids BAD (Why get the pyramids when you can just go to war against the AI in the first few turns, grab a worker, and then head back to your capital? Only way to justify is if you're on an island alone)
Mausoleum of Halicarnassus OK (Really dependent on a strong marble/stone start)
Statue of Zeus BAD (AI usually builds this asap, and doesn't offer any benefits beyond those who warmonger asap.

I voted Temple of Artemis.
If the poll is which is the best to build, I would have votes for 'none of them' and to build for now so you can get the better wonders later. ToA is amazing, but only later on. So take it from whoever built it :).
Of the others, the one I come closest to building is the Pyramids.

I've spent a long time with the shiny new Civs like Celts, Ethiopia, and Maya. It wasn't until I started playing a lot of the classic Civs again that I realized how great Stonehenge is, thus my vote is Stonehenge.

10% growth on ToA is OK, but considering you can grab additional growth bonuses through religion (indirectly Stonehenge) you are not completely missing out. And like Mr. Bison points out, ToA is much better later on and you can just grab it then, where as the faith from Stonehenge is much more useful right from the start.

Also, Pyramids are much better in wide, sprawling games which don't seem to get a lot of love around here. The increase on tile improvement stacked with the Liberty policy is awesome when it is key to get a lot of those luxuries, roads, etc. developed ASAP.

Pottery is nearly always my first tech, and if I manage to pop a free writing ruin after, I am often tempted to try the GL gamble.

Pyramids increases the speed of improvement building, which ALSO stacks with the Free Worker POlicy, 4 workers, and pretty much roads and other improvements done in less than 3 turns on Quick. I'd say that's pretty useful.

i love ToA, but most of the time i go for the GL. on emperor and lower i often try to get another ancient wonder after that. i also like the great lighthouse (which you didnt include), but that's a great one to capture later.

Ditto GL which you now have to build so early on King and higher that you end up having to pick a tech you don't really need it for.

if you manage to get the GL, you should always be able to research calendar in time while building it, so you can take philosophy. for civs like the iroquois or rome it should be no problem to take iron working as the free tech.

I don't get the love for the Great Library, its a crapshoot at best to get, and if you conquer it, its a piddly 3 beaker bonus.

This one was a bit hard for me, but ultimately I went with the Pyramids. It's obtainable (haven't tried much on Deity, but whenever I've wanted it on Immortal down, I've gotten it) and practical (only a bit more than two workers, plus gets the 25% and the GE point).

I like the ToA, but it's a bit hard to get, plus I feel like it causes more harm than help since you're putting yourself so far behind on units/basic buildings. Stonehenge is great, but with certain Pantheons, Religious CS and Natural Wonders, you can still found a religion pretty easily.

While I think the GL is nice, I think it's vastly overrated. I'd rather just build a library and then work on settlers and units. I think an early second city snowballs a lot better than the GL. It's not bad, I just think there are better ways to spend your time and hammers (unless you're Korea, then it's worth it).

Stonehenge.

I'd have gone for Artemis, but I never even attempt to build it as the AI always beats me. Ditto GL which you now have to build so early on King and higher that you end up having to pick a tech you don't really need it for.

I've had the opposite experience, oddly enough. I can usually get Artemis no problem but I have to head straight for Stonehenge if I want to have a chance at it.

I voted for Stonehenge. ToA would have been my second choice.
I don't have much use for the Pyramids as I always go very tall. Statue of Zeus is practically impossible to get. I like the GL but I barely get it. Mausoleum is meh.

I don't think I've ever built the pyramids.

The problem is, they come too late to be your 1st worker, so you need to have built/capture one (or two) before. When it does come around, I really dont need three (or four) workers total. Not that many citizens to build improvements for, can't build a lot of stuff like TP or lumber mills, so they just sit around costing maintenance money.

How exactly is it useful?

Top Bottom