Favorite Era ?

Emperur

Chieftain
I have not played Civ Yet but I am starting Christmas, The Classical Era seems funnest so what are your guys fav eras ?

Whichever era Julius Belmont lived in

Ill have to say Renaissance/Industrial. It's where stuff gets real- World Congress, awesome units, and exploration (and conquest) over seas. It's where you really need to figure out how you're going to win, and with the right strategy, anyone here can quickly turn a neglectable political entity into a civilization. As long as you are at roughly the same tech progress as everyone else, anything can happen at this point.

Ancient and Classical. After Classical, enjoyment of the gameplay starts to noticeably degrade, until by the Information Era, gameplay has become too routine and tedious.

Ancient and Classical without a doubt for similar reasons to CaptainPatch's

The Renaissance and Industrial eras, for sure. By then you've already built up you're empire and developed it considerably, and then you can focus on all of the good stuff. There are new lands for you to explore (New world, island chains) , new means with which to dominate (World congress, ideology, tourism), and new units to spread your borders with (Gunpowder units, artillery).

The earlier eras are good because they let you build up your empire, but the Renaissance and Industrial eras let you finally unleash the full potential of what you've created.

I personally hate the ancient and classical era that's my beef with starting new games. my personal favorite era is definitely the medieval/renaissance.

The underrated Information Era and late Atomic era, people are tossing nukes at each other and some civs have been killed off.

Late medieval/early Renaissance. Cities are planted, infrastructure is built. Time to have some real fun :evil:

I'd say Renaissance, but only were there a reasonable colonization system that didn't require dumping thousands of gold for a city to be average. As it is, Industrial.

Medieval!
If I've done everything right, I should be growing but established, building a formidable military and building wonders.

I'd say Renaissance, but only were there a reasonable colonization system that didn't require dumping thousands of gold for a city to be average.

Here Here. No sorry it will be 25 turns for your new Renaissance expansion city to build a market oh it's the modern era now.

Except my answer to the OP would be Medieval, for the grand struggle over your continent, if only that existed at all, if only the game would slow down and let you build and use Medieval units, if only the whole Medieval-Renaissance period wasn't an inconsequential pitstop on the race to industrial...

Ancient and Classical. After Classical, enjoyment of the gameplay starts to noticeably degrade, until by the Information Era, gameplay has become too routine and tedious.

I'd very much agree with this...if we were talking about civ 4. In civ 4, I enjoyed early development and hated seeing other civs. Why? Because they're usually aggressive and really arrogant. "Oh you didn't give me something. What a greedy person", and that counts as a diplo penalty. >rants< another reason why I can't understand civ 4 fans...blah blah blah, before I go off topic.

With civ 5, for me, the opposite is true in terms of mid game, but not late game. Late game is indeed tedious unless you're warmongering.

Information era since most of the units are way better than the earlier eras.

Medieval/Early Rennaisance. At this time, the powers of the game start to emerge, trade routes are made, lasting alliances and enemies are made, you get access to more awesome weapons (Trebuchets are awesome. So are Knights.) without them being completely overpowering (like artillery), and you start to truly explore the world and not just your region.

My personal favorite is the Renaissance, because the main lands are nearly all settled, so you get units to seek new lands and civilizations. Or, you could always destroy them all. :D

I like ancient to industrial. after that your building a massive army to take aluminum and uranium from the other civ's and cleaning up the fallout from the nukes.

The most difficult wars come when you get Industrial as Cannons/Gatling guns will quickly destroy your armies. However, I find that once you get Artillery at Great War Era (I forgot the name), it becomes a lot easier to capture cities.

The most difficult wars come when you get Industrial as Cannons/Gatling guns will quickly destroy your armies. However, I find that once you get Artillery at Great War Era (I forgot the name), it becomes a lot easier to capture cities.

Absolutly true. In the modern era four stealth bombers, four or five main battle tanks and one or two mech robots for the cu de grace will get you a nice big city in one turn :D

Top Bottom