Favorite Religious civ to play as besides Celts?

Favorite religious civ, excluding Celts

• Ethiopia

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Spain

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Mayans

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Shoshone

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Byzantium

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters

JimBobV

Warlord
I like playing an early religious game, and there are several civs that stand out of the crowd in particular. The obvious choice would be the Celts, as they have a heavy religious UA, and their other two uniques are above average. Aside from them though, I would like to know what your opinions on which civ you like to play for religion the most, as there are several others that give you significant boosts.

I personally like playing with Ethiopia as their UB, the Stele, is a great and quick source of early game faith, almost ensuring you'll be the first to receive a religion if the Celts aren't in the game. They would probably be one of my favorite civs out of all, although their situational UA and mediocre UU hold back the potential this civ has. If the UA was improved to be more constant, I would definitely play with it more often. A close second for me is Spain, which when played properly, can give you some of the highest faith yields in the game. If you grab the one with nature pantheon as well, then just about any natural wonder you get is worth the grab, even weaker ones like the grand mesa. Its best played for religion when you can find Mt. Sinai, because with one with nature, it will yield a whopping 24 faith per turn. Even without religious wonders like this, any wonder will still give you above average faith yields, which can be fed into great people consistently to grow your empire.

I love Shoshone regardless, the extra land plus the default UU scout with shrine control... Yes please.

Edit: Though Favorite religion to spread is as Egypt. The Ancient Egyptian Hotdog Dog demands that Hotdogadonianism is spread to the infidels!

I really like the Byzantines....their trait....'Patriarchate of Constantinople' is great for me
Also, (though it has nothing to do with religion [or faith:c5faith::)]) their UU's are awesome....I really like how the Dromon shoots Greek fire (if you don't know what that is look here.)

Best example for greek fire is a flamethrower that shoots napalm. It is one of the greatest weapons of the ancient world.

Ethiopia even if Celts had been included; while Celts get you to a pantheon first on turn 5 / 10; Ethiopia can get you to a religion faster with its UB replacing a Monument (But giving 2 faith & 2 culture) and still being able to build the Shrine, for 3 faith per city from buildings alone and still being able to chop that forest right next to the capital whose underlying terriagn is Plains or Hills.

Mayans are my favorite. I do like Ethiopia's UB, but not the rest about them.

Etheopia for me, even if the Celts were in.
I don't see why you excluded them. Most people would still pick the Mayans as they are easil the strongest of these sides barring Divine intervention with the Spaniards.

I really like the Byzantines....their trait....'Patriarchate of Constantinople' is great for me
Also, (though it has nothing to do with religion [or faith:c5faith::)]) their UU's are awesome....I really like how the Dromon shoots Greek fire (if you don't know what that is look here.)

Тhe thing is, that while you have religious UA, they get 0 bonus towards finding a religion, so in most cases you didn't even manage to found and enhance a religion fast enough to grab any good beliefs ...

Why exclude the Celts from the list? As for me, though I love the pictish warrior, I'd go Byzantium, as I think their UA is the most interesting religious one. I think the one I'd be strongest with of the list given is the Mayans. Of unconsidered civs, I'd say Siam, which is a civ I love anyway, but which also gets a religious bonus from CSs, on top of the other CS bonuses, the Wat culture, and the stampy fun:) :) :).

Honestly, Egypt. I rush the shrine, get the monument to the Gods pantheon (+20% production towards ancient and classical wonders) and rush stonehenge. Easily get a great prohpet that way. Then, once I quickly work my way to Theology I rush Hagia Sofia and get the great prophet, improve my religion, get Borobudur and then use the missionaries to spread the faith of Xen(thou-ism).

Well the Celts are excluded because its 'other than Celts'.

Well the Celts are excluded because its 'other than Celts'.

Yes. I'm asking why this is the case, not wondering if they were forgotten. They're not the consensus number one civ, so it feels odd to make this list without them.

I chose Spain. And TBH, if it was a choice, I would have picked the Celts as my least favorite religious civ to play as.

Yes. I'm asking why this is the case, not wondering if they were forgotten. They're not the consensus number one civ, so it feels odd to make this list without them.

Why should it feel odd? The whole point of this is to see which religious civs people like besides the celts, as the celts are obviously the superior choice when founding a religion.

Ethiopia, as their UB is their one redeeming quality, and by far the best UB.
Can someone explain to me how the Shoshone are considered a "religious" civ? :confused:

Top Bottom