Favorite Tech Quotes

"To everything ... There is a season ... And a time for every purpose under heaven".

Love the song, love the quote.

And Railroad because "Pig Iron" is just hilarious every time.
Especially the dead-pan delivery of it. It should be more expressive but then it wouldn't be so funny.

My favourite is from Radio ("...you know, her life was saved by rock-and-roll!") because it's true and it's what happened to me back in 1995 when developing a crush on a pop-star helped me get over my first ex. :) Never looked back!

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist."
- Dom Helder Camara (Communism)

or maybe this one

"Beep... beep... beep... beep..."
- Sputnik I (Satellite)

I like the one for flight. "Once you have tasted flight you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I got my pilots license about 10 years ago but haven't flown since due to the cost. This probably suits me the best.

=====
Note: I think the Ben Franklin quote was more about risking your life fighting oppression from the British than it was about defending free speech today. He wasn't exactly a pacifist and spent a good portion of his life trying to convince other nations to side with us in war.

This one is good:
FISSION - "If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... I am become Death, the Shatterer of Worlds." - J. Robert Oppenheimer, quoting "The Bhagavad Gita"

"If in other sciences we should arrive at certainty without doubt and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics."

Two reasons:
1 - I like maths (IRL, not just in the game)
2 - "Behooves" just sounds funny. I don't even know what it means :lol:

"If in other sciences we should arrive at certainty without doubt and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics."

Two reasons:
1 - I like maths (IRL, not just in the game)
2 - "Behooves" just sounds funny. I don't even know what it means :lol:

It means, "something that would be good for us."

"I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others only do from fear of the law"

This one for me.

I've gotta agree though the quote that first struck me was the communism one. It's so true when you consider American prejudice.

And after learning about Napoleon it just made Nationalism stand so much more out in my mind.

Not bad, but it would apply to a lot more than communism. "but if I ask why the unemployed have no job they call me a facist", etc.

All awesome quotes are like that though. Looks good on a coffee mug, but it doesn't really hold up as policy.

I never realized the railroad one was a song until I listened to some Johnny Cash recently.

Oh, and steam power! It makes me laugh. Mr. Spock nails it.

"You would make a ship sail against the winds and currents by lighting a bon-fire under her deck? I have no time for such nonsense."

Mr. Spock nails it.

Ha-ha. "Mr. Spock." :)

I wonder if "Mr. Spock" had any context to the lines he was reading? If not, then it must have been a bizarre recording session with all these unrelated quotes to record.

That is a good point.It would be weird to go from "Nature herself has imprinted..." to "It is from their foes not their friends.." and then wind up with "And on the pedastal these words..."

Not to mention having to just recite something like fission without context.

Not bad, but it would apply to a lot more than communism. "but if I ask why the unemployed have no job they call me a facist", etc.

All awesome quotes are like that though. Looks good on a coffee mug, but it doesn't really hold up as policy.

Doesn't hold up as policy? :sad:

"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some to be chewed and digested."
- Sir Francis Bacon

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word."
- Al Capone

"People can have the Model T in any color - so long as it's black."
- Henry Ford

:king:Psalm 50:10,The Holy Bible (NIV)

for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills.

Has to be the quote from the Network Node tech. Ok, it's not from Civ, but you didn't specify, and I still find myself remembering it randomly, 10 years later.

It is a marching song from Alpha Centauri

"
I don't know but I've been told. (soldiers ehcho it back)
Diedre's got a network node. (soldiers ehcho it back)
Likes to press the on off switch (soldiers ehcho it back)
Dig that crazy Gaian witch. (soldiers ehcho it back)

Spartan, Barracks MARCH!

Sir! Yes Sir!
"

Attachments

• Network Node.zip
    151.5 KB · Views: 87
Top Bottom