FfH2 Bug Thread

Great mod!
But after playing my first ever Ffh2 game with the 40z Version, it crashes now with the new 41a. Everything is downloaded about an hour ago. Installed it then patched it, and run the old Media patch over it. Everything seemed to go smoothly.

One thing I did in my game, is using the World Builder to reseed a destroyed Mana node(stupid Barbs settled on top of it :mad: ). But saves before that crash the same way.

Also I found a minor CivPedia frackup with the Assassin and Angel Special Abilities. They point to the units instead of the appropriate Promotions.

Edit:Only the old saves crash, starting a new game works normally.

Attachments

• Flintson AD-0759.CivBeyondSwordSave
    420.9 KB · Views: 51
Edit:Only the old saves crash, starting a new game works normally.

0.41 breaks saved games.

One thing I did in my game, is using the World Builder to reseed a destroyed Mana node(stupid Barbs settled on top of it :mad: ).
I don't understand why it is now possible to build a city on a mana node. In my recent game a AI player has done this, too. Was this 'feature' introduced with 0.41?

I don't understand why it is now possible to build a city on a mana node. In my recent game a AI player has done this, too. Was this 'feature' introduced with 0.41?

It seems, yes.

hansdampf, I am afraid you are right. The patch 0.41a breaking games should be mentioned in the official post (the 1st one of this thread).
No, Opferlamm, it is not mentioned. At least. not where it matters... (i.e. not buried into a 69 pages thread...)
The official place for knowing about a patch is in the 1st post of this thread, by Kael.
It is clearly said:
Patch 0.41a
1. Fixed a graphic error with the Dwarven Smithy.
2. Fixed a graphic error withe Adularia Chamber.
3. Fixed a graphic error with the Amurite Archer.
4. Fixed an issue that could cause a crash when the game starts if the Hyborem menu is selected (thanks to Zifnab!).
5. Fixed an issue with the Decius model (he would show up as a red blob).

No mention that it will break a save game.
Besides, a saved game get broken when data in it refers to a missing or modified address such as deleting a unit type, modifying its attributes (ex.: new stats recorded in a unit data), adding/modifying/deleting features that should be permanent in a game (ex.: promotions, spells), etc. It is not likely that a graphic fix, done on an already existing data, would break a saved game at it stays with a "1 to 1" relationship.

The last patch breaking a save game is 0.40t. When a patch breaks a save, it is indicated after the patch number, ex.:
Patch 0.40t (patch t will break save games)

Thank you Lone Wolf for adding this information. If it is exact, I hope Kael will correct his starting page as it is the reference for any one downloading the patch (and it should reduce the number of false bug reports)...

It is actually the .41 patch that breaks the save game, not the a-patch. .41 used to have a mention of it (at least it did when it wasn't released yet, and I seem to remember that it had it after being released as well).
It has disappeared however, probably with the latest update, and I'd assume that it will be fixed shortly.

Saved games from different versions don't work with each other. In effect, a new version always breaks saved games. From the FAQ:
Q: I have a save from previous version of Fall from Heaven, can I load that one on the new patch?

A: Save games only work within versions, except where the bug thread notes that a patch "Will break savegames". So a savegame will work between Fall from Heaven II 0.30d and Fall from Heaven II 0.30e but wouldn't work between Fall from Heaven II 0.24 and Fall from Heaven 0.30.

Sengir, I do not think 0.41 is really a "patch" but is more like a new version. As Emptiness points out with his quote of the FAQ, it is evident that there is no descending compatibility between main realeases. Your 2 posts make sense then.

Anyway, very confusing is not it?

I guess the best is to stay on the safe side and apply always a simple rule:

always finish your game before applying any new version, via a full download, or a patch!

Issue One: disappearing towns. This is NOT the issue with changing religions. It also isn't 100%. One will disappear than another and then another over the course of several reloads.

Issue 2: Corrupt Data. I seem to be crashing around turn 90 with Perp and then the data corrupts and I can no longer log in.

Both of these issues may be related since both have happened in the last four Bals/Perp maps I have tried. Also, my method of play was the same as well. I was doing a lot of save and reload while trying to power some freaks in arenas.

I began to test, watching my towns before and after reload. As they initially started to disappear, I immediately reload to an even older game save but it did not correct the problem. Also, only a few towns disappeared on first related reload. Then over the course of a few more reloads, all were missing.

I hope this helps. I actually haven't done a full reinstall on BtS or .41 but will if I notice this pop up with any other civs. It may be a problem with others but I have never reloaded much with others. My Balsp arena grinding may have accelerated the issue.

always finish your game before applying any new version, via a full download, or a patch!

You can still easily play the 0.40z games if you rename the ffh2.old folder to ffh2 (and rename the current ffh2 folder to something more sensible like FFh2 41.

I don't understand why Kael doesn't name the folders with version numbers anymore. All that the renaming business does is break old savegames.

0.41a
i got random leaders. I chose to start as Hannah the Irin, yet im Basium for Lanun. I dotn have unrestricted leaders selected. Custom game

Currently there is a bug where if you select "End of Winter" you also get "Unrestricted Leaders". Were you playing with "End of Winter"?

It may be a problem with others but I have never reloaded much with others. My Balsp arena grinding may have accelerated the issue.

When you reload are you first exiting to the main menu and then loading the save, or are you loading the save while in a game?

More on the disappearing cottages. I'm playing an increasing difficulty game, and the cottages appeared as normal until turn 100 when the difficulty increased, and then they disappeared.

Here is a saved game if anyone wants to have a look.

Attachments

• Cottages Disappear.CivBeyondSwordSave
    144.3 KB · Views: 75
I am able to see your cottage improvements. From your event log, I see that you have just recently switched to follow Fellowship of Leaves. The latest version of the 0.41 installer corrects a problem where cottage improvements become invisible after you switch to follow a religion, so I suspect that you have an old version of 0.41. I recommend that you delete your "Fall From Heaven 2" folder and the 0.41 installer you used (if you still have it), redownload and reinstall FfH2, then download and install the latest patch. That should allow you to continue your game with visible cottages.

having a problem with mulitplayer. never done it before. and i got a gamespy account, but when i try to log in through the multiplayer screen it keeps telling me my id is incorrect or not existent, which isn't true. what am i doing wrong? and if this has already been answered please point me to where

Top Bottom