Final Verdict: We want our stack back and other great cIV features!

Vote for which feature you'd like to see back in Civ V!

• Stack (no more 1UPT): much easier to move armies around.

Votes: 76 6.7%
  • Local happiness instead of the shallow global happiness.

Votes: 117 10.3%
  • Multiple units for each strategic resource: makes more sense historically

Votes: 36 3.2%
  • The old slider system: makes for more dynamic gameplay.

Votes: 92 8.1%
  • No more purchasing units with gold.

Votes: 19 1.7%
  • Religion: what makes cIV the best in the series!

Votes: 169 14.9%
  • cIV's great graphics: current graphics in ciV is a joke.

Votes: 30 2.6%
  • The old map grid: hexes does NOT make CiV look deep!

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Something else

Votes: 103 9.1%
  • Nothing, i like Civ5 how it is :).

Votes: 490 43.2%

• Total voters

NobleJms

Chieftain
Like most people here, I have been an avid Civ player since Civ I, and I have to say Civ V is such an abomination compared to cIV BtS expansions, not to mention the worst of the series by far. :(

I believe I can speak for the majority of the Civ players here regarding features that absolutely must be brought back to Civ V, hopefully in future patches or expansions. These features are so essential to the whole Civ experience that I am not sure why Firaxis removed them in this generation.

1. We want our stack back: 1UPT makes moving units around so tedious and it's hard to get into formations in battle.

2. We want the old strategic resource system back: who came up with the idea that one iron mine can only generate one swordman? If I have an iron mine, I should be able to put it to use and build as many iron units as I want.

3. We want our slider back: the ability to shift the macro focus of your empire to either wealth/science/happiness is more dynamic than the current system.

4. We want local happiness back: CiV's global happiness system makes the game MUCH shallower, it's like playing a game for 10-year-olds. :rolleyes:

5. No more purchasing units/buildings plz: it makes no sense to buy a building and it's suddenly there the next turn. Firaxis please remove this feature. Realistically, gold should haste the production process, but not producing things out of thin air.

6. We want religion back: religion is what makes cIV a much deeper game than all others in the series, including ciV. Why did they remove religion?

7. Bring back the graphics of cIV: as many players have noted since the game's release, ciV's graphics is absolutely terrible. Rivers and trading posts are just plain ugly. It's just about on par with Civ III if you ask me.

8. We want the old map grid back: sure, hexes are interesting at first glance and seems to make the game look complicated (reminds me of a boardgame), but after several games they begin to get on our nerves. :mad:

Firaxis, please pay more attention to what we the core Civ players really want. Until these problems have been fixed, I'll stick to my cIV. :sad:

While i agree with only some of your post.. you should probably change "We" to "I" regardless of how many ppl may or may not agree with you.

1. Never! The wars and battles I've had in V beat the ones in all previous installations. Maybe they can finetune the 1UPT system but stacks, please no.

2. I don't support your view on this either. On previous game it didn't matter at all if you lost one iron mine out of your four, now they are more important which is all good I think.

3. I don't want the slider back, now all the big decisions on economy and what to build are more important. Matter of taste yeah but I think slider again took away consequences of decisions.

6. I haven't missed the OLD religion system a bit, to be honest, but I'd like to see religions and espionage back in some new form. As for espionage, I don't want a control a lone ninja across enemy lands, I don't think that is job for an empreror of a great nation.. but something more abstract and nationwide, like more espionage points give more info on other civs etc.

8. Are you serious?

Yeah lot of this is about my tastes against yours, so nothing personal. :)

I would just like to remind of you that the game is week old, so we're going to see it go to all new places with new upgrades, civs and concepts.
The game has flaws but I think they are all stuff that can be fixed, but the improvements and the good stuff is so great that I just can't really go back to previous versions without missing them..

OMG go and cry with your teddy :cry:

If you want all of those features, GO AND PLAY CIV4 you muppet.

Moderator Action: If you don't agree with him, then by all means discuss why. But comments like this aren't really conducive to good debate.

I have also played Civ since the original and you don't speak for me. At all.

All those things are exactly the things I would identify as the most positive changes - particularly the 1 unit per tile and the hexes. The new combat system is undoubtedly the highlight of the new game, and a very refreshing change from tedious stacks of doom smashing themselves into city walls repeatedly. Limited strategic resources - awesome. Sliders? They never really made sense anyway. Religion? It was fun but shallow and tacked-on.
The only thing I will agree with you on is the rush-purchasing, and that's really fairly minor in the scheme of things.

Frankly, it sounds like you wanted them to just release Civ IV again. What would be the point of that?

Are you serious?

Where is the "I'm fine with most of the changes" button? Especially hexes and the new graphics are probably unquestioned by the vast majority of the community!

What's the point behind a poll where we can only agree to your opinion? Especially when you entitle yourself to speak in the name of the "core community"?

I'm not saying anything about post counts now, because that's against the board rules.

Wow, each of those poll options reads like backwards world to me. :D

I haven't voted since I don't want to insinuate I'm unhappy with anything, I suppose I would have to pick religion since I believe a (different) religion system would be a worthy addition to this game if it could be made to work in Civ 5's world (I understand and agree with the reason why the old system would not fit in Civ 5). All the other options in my mind are referencing things in Civ 5 that are much better than in 4.

sorry this poll is invalid...

you need an option to say... Civ 5 > Civ 4.

Some of the changes you want to return to does not make a whole lot of sense in how they built the game. I believe it is the best game of the series and the most fun so far (when comparing non-modded versions of the game)

I don't want any of those changes. I already own Civ IV. Why I would want to make Civ V exactly the same?

I thought voting religion thing but then I realized that Civ IV religion was very stupid and had nothing at all to do with reality. Civ is better without it. Religion is way too complicated and way too volatile subject to be ever simulated in sensible way.

Poll screwed where is: i like more civ5 features than civ4 ones?
Do you really think that this poll can be even remotely considered?

1/ Stacks were the reason i gave up on Civ 4. They remove all strategy and thinking from the combat side of the game

2/ Multiple units from one source of iron meant that the strategic resources were pointless. I never had to go to war to get the resources i needed.

3/ The sliders were appallingly dumb, they removed any need to plan or think for the future. Oops i am running out of gold, adjust the slider... I want that tech quickly... adjust the slider. I can't believe people think that removing it is dumbing down, if anything it makes the game more complex.

4/ Local happiness just meant that you ignored cities that weren't important, now every city is important. As for the winning of wars making the population un happy arguement, Iraq shows that winning wars isn't all it is cracked up to be.

5/ Tempted to agree with this a little, but for the sake of devil's advocate I don't really see it as a broken feature, just a little strange, also it makes gold more valuable, without purchasing gold would be forgotten.

6/ I think most people would not like religion back in it's previous incarnation, it was shallow and spoilt the game. If it does come back i hope that it is better thought out than 'All religions hate all other religions, but love their own'

7/ graphics look great on mine, and i barely scrape in to the minimum. Much better looking worlds than 4 IMHO, they just look more realistic

8/ Hexes mean more strategy, no longer can you use exploits to scout more map, and just walk around a blockade on the diagonal.

Seriously, you are not speaking for the majority, you are speaking for yourself. And if you really have been a player of Civ since the 1st one (and why am i getting cynical about the number of people who claim to have been playing for millenia?) then you can surely remember the outbursts of abuse at every release of Civ.

I completely disagree with everything on your list. But I'd like to add one of my own. Which is the AI and Diplomacy.

Now, I don't want Civ 4's back. It was way too easy to manipulate Civ 4's AI. But what I really want is leaders with more distinct play styles and attitudes, and a fairly transparent diplomacy system. Not enough that you know exactly what the AI is going to do (like in Civ4), but you should at least get a general idea of what effect your actions are having on the other civilizations view of you.

With the game barely out, and a lot of the complaints being the natural knee jerk vs. change, I think the only things we can say for absolute certain are:
-The game is buggy as hell.
-The AI is godawful.

Both things which should improve in time.

Everything on that list is highly subjective, and you may even change your mind about it if you give Civ5 a chance.

1. We want our stack back: 1UPT makes moving units around so tedious and it's hard to get into formations in battle.

It would a bad idea to remove the only good new feature in CiV. But I'm afraid they actually may do just that. Allowing at least some stacking would greatly help to make AI more competive. :rolleyes:

No, I do not want the goddamn stacks back, it was HORRIBLE. There are a few things awkward about Civ V, but this is not one of them. I love the new single tile unit combat, and would be very upset if they decided to change it!

Top Bottom