Finding City Names for an RFC Map

Circuit

Writing Letters
Seeing as FramedArchitect released info as to how to use his dynamic city naming mod, I would like to create a dynamic name map for Gedemon's Yet (not) Another Map Pack, to complete the RFC-esque experience. Getting the mod to work is straight forward; more troubling is, what's a good resource to get city names, and maybe invent names for really strange alt-hist scenarios (such as Egyptian colonization of the Americas and such)?

My plan for a Dynamic City name mod is to use the translation of the city name in the language of the Civilization that own it.

But I've not started to work on it yet, and obviously "what if Egypt conquers America ?" will still be a problem.

In terms of the city names, I think you can have it two ways:

- The first would be the simplest, which would be to have a list of civ-accurate city names for the region in which they would be present (Eg. Egyptian names in areas ruled by or in contact with Egypt) and then another list of modern / otherwise ahistorical names for regions in which the civ wasn't present (eg. America).
- The other would require more work, and that would be to work out the language conventions of the civ (eg. Japanese has, in most cases, a vowel after every verb, with exceptions for long sounds [eg. tta], compounds with 'ya / yu / yo' [eg. kya] and the character 'n' [eg. Ronin]). This way, for when an ahistorical scenario takes place (such as conquering America), the local name is put into that civs language conventions (eg. Japan founding a city where Christchurch, NZ is would be 'Kuraisutochachi'). I haven't looked at the code so I don't know the limitations of it, but this would most likely be way too much work unless there's a way to automate the name changes somehow.

Top Bottom