Finishing the Hybrid Upgrade Roster

Sniperian

Chieftain
As (almost) all of us Rising Tidiers know with the New Hybrid affinities the only thing signifying that you have a said hybrid affinity at least at one point in time is your units. as even 1 point difference on the affinities would make you the more numorious one. (and there is no archetecture or buildings to signalfy it) but there is one small things with the units.

The Armor, Marine, Gunner, Cruiser, and Cutter all have Hybrid Upgrades where as the Carrier, Artillery, Submarine, and Needlejet do not. Granted they have higher affinity costs to get there third tier upgrade (2nd for Carrier) They take much longer to acquire and make it harder to emurse your self when your firing a full on purity Devastator, covered in red, in your Silver and Blue Army.

This problem is mostly found in Domination(and Not-turn-off-able time) Victory games
where people would evenentually get 18 points in every affinity (with there main affinity (hybrid or other) first.

(also In my opinion I think Supremacy's(and Supremacy Hybrids) 2 attacks per turn thing is quite weaker (especially if you moved one tile.) also The track "Tide Hunter" Rocks)

I included a list of name suggestions for the remaining hybrid units in my "Ideas for More Units" thread. But I have better formatted post on Reddit.

I agree, I think its really weird for Hybrid units to be next to Core affinity units. So I tried to fill in the blanks. Some of them I like more than others. Only I didn't figure out what their upgrades would be.

Ascendancy (Harmony/Purity)
Harmony/Purity has a very confusing naming scheme. That took me quite a while to pick through and make sense of. Their names are derived from heroes and champions. Of powerful species from old earth. Thus I took that framework and ran with it.

Land
  • Soldier > Marine > Tier 3 > Champion
  • Gunner > Ranger > Tier 3 > Kodiak
  • Combat Rover > Armor > Tier 3 > Gladiator
  • Missile Rover > Artillery > Tier 3 > (Trojan)
  • Explorer > Tier 2 > (Paragon)

Air
  • Tacjet > Needle Jet > Tier 3 > (Glory)

Sea
  • Patrol Boat > Cutter > Tier 3 > Argo
  • Gunboat > Cruiser > Tier 3 > Mako
  • Submarine > Tidehunter > Tier 3 > (Victor)
  • Carrier > (Consul)

Trojan - Missile Rover: Named after the Greek/Trojan story involving a particular horse. And the siege and destruction of a city.
Paragon - Explorer: Named after the concept of a person of significant merit or who epitomizes an ideal.
Glory - Tacjet: I wanted to differentiate the air units with a slightly different naming scheme. Thus these are named Glory after the strength of humanity.
Victor - Submarine: Another concept in the family of Champion and Gladiator, one of warriors.
Consul - Carrier: The carriers I tried to name after something that "conveys" something else. The Harmony/Purity one here is named Consul, after the Roman elected position.

Mastery - (Purity/Supremacy)

Land
  • Soldier > Marine > Tier 3 > Eidolon
  • Gunner > Ranger > Tier 3 > Virtuoso
  • Combat Rover > Armor > Tier 3 > Maestro
  • Missile Rover > Artillery > Tier 3 > (Artisan)
  • Explorer > Tier 2 > (Savant)

Air
  • Tacjet > Needle Jet > Tier 3 > (Magistrate)

Sea
  • Patrol Boat > Cutter > Tier 3 > Baron
  • Gunboat > Cruiser > Tier 3 > Countess
  • Submarine > Tidehunter > Tier 3 > (Duke)
  • Carrier > (Sovereign)

Artisan - Missile Rover: Following the aristocratic/artsy naming scheme of the land units.
Savant - Explorer: Named after a person of extensive or profound learning. It falls into the scheme of "esteem" that this hybrid follows.
Magistrate - Tacjet: Named after a civil or minor judicial officer. Again more authority figures.
Duke - Submarine: Following the "landed title" theme of the sea units. Barons rule baronies, Countesses rule counties, Dukes rule duchies.
Sovereign - Carrier: Named after the "concept" of a ruler, this holds Magistrates who carry out its edicts.

Voracity - (Supremacy/Harmony)

Land
  • Soldier > Marine > Tier 3 > Hellion
  • Gunner > Ranger > Tier 3 > Fury
  • Combat Rover > Armor > Tier 3 > Savage
  • Missile Rover > Artillery > Tier 3 > (Vandal)
  • Explorer > Tier 2 > (Errant)

Air
  • Tacjet > Needle Jet > Tier 3 > (Anarchy)

Sea
  • Patrol Boat > Cutter > Tier 3 > Vortex
  • Gunboat > Cruiser > Tier 3 > Wrath
  • Submarine > Tidehunter > Tier 3 > (Ruin)
  • Carrier > (Rebellion)

Vandal - Missile Rover: Named after someone who willingly damages things. Vandalism!
Errant - Explorer: Named for one who deviates or strays from the path or is an adventurer. I thought it was highly appropriate.
Anarchy - Tacjet: Again more lawless or otherwise destructive themes. This is closer to the Harmony/Purity Tacjet in that its more about a concept.
Ruin - Submarine: Yet another word about destruction. Very simple. I'm happy with it.
Rebellion - Carrier: Named after the concept, its plays on the Supremacy/Harmony desire to shrug off the shackles of history and break away from the limitations of imagination.

The Anarchy may sound better as simply the Anarch, which may be more fitting.

Sea
  • Patrol Boat > Cutter > Tier 3 > Baron
  • Gunboat > Cruiser > Tier 3 > Countess
  • Submarine > Tidehunter > Tier 3 > (Duke)
  • Carrier > (Sovereign)

I'd actually switch the Submarine from "Duke" to "Knight." Both are titles of nobility, but if you combine chess imagery with the theme of aristocracy, knights are the chess pieces than can hop over other obstacles to attack from unexpected places, and the way submarines can pop up unexpectedly from under ice or out of nowhere seems (to me) similar to the way knights act in chess. (But maybe that's just ideosyncratic on my part?)

DefiantMars, awesome list! It's very well thought-out. I could definitely see these making it into the game if the hybrids were expanded.

I think I still prefer your choices over the replies above. But, I have some to add myself, just for thought.

You're right, the H/P hybrid names are a bit disparate. They seem to still represent both halves of their prime affinities more than the other hybrids, with the champions/antiquity of Purity and powerful-beasts/aggressive-fighters of Harmony.

If you want to mix more animals into it with the antiquity flavor:

Scorpio: could be used for the missle rover, especially since it was a siege device too. Or maybe even the submarine.

Aquila or Eagle: could be used for tacjets. They have very kingly symbolism and were used a lot in antiquity.

Gryphon: another tacjet name. Though, I'm not sure if the mythological side leans too much towards pure Harmony.

Some others:

Ballista: Another name for the missle rover. Not that crazy over it though.

Triumph

- - - - - - - -

I don't really have anything to add to P/S at the moment. It's looks pretty solid.

- - - - - - - -

For S/H, I have some more names to consider.

Rogue: submarines (then make the carrier Ruin? I'm not as crazy for the Rebellion name as I am for the other ones, even though the meaning behind it is nice.)

Fiend: tacjets (then the carrier could be Anarchy?)

Some other names:

Berserker, Maniac, Frenzy

DefiantMars, awesome list! It's very well thought-out. I could definitely see these making it into the game if the hybrids were expanded.

I think I still prefer your choices over the replies above. But, I have some to add myself, just for thought.

You're right, the H/P hybrid names are a bit disparate. They seem to still represent both halves of their prime affinities more than the other hybrids, with the champions/antiquity of Purity and powerful-beasts/aggressive-fighters of Harmony.

If you want to mix more animals into it with the antiquity flavor:

Scorpio: could be used for the missle rover, especially since it was a siege device too. Or maybe even the submarine.

Aquila or Eagle: could be used for tacjets. They have very kingly symbolism and were used a lot in antiquity.

Gryphon: another tacjet name. Though, I'm not sure if the mythological side leans too much towards pure Harmony.

Some others:

Ballista: Another name for the missle rover. Not that crazy over it though.

Triumph

First off, thank you.

I would have liked to include more animals in my initial post, but they seemed to be going with a "type" rather than the actual animals "Kodiak" Bear, "Mako" Shark. I like the Eagle but I'd like to follow that pattern a bit more.

I like "Triumph" I think that might be better for the Missile Rover and using Trojan using the sneaky association for the Invisible submarine.

- - - - - - - -

I don't really have anything to add to P/S at the moment. It's looks pretty solid.

- - - - - - - -

Purity/Supremacy was much easier to dissect. Their scheme was quite clear.

@kipwheeler, I don't like using the Knight title for the Submarine because I don't think that Invisibility and Knights really match.

For S/H, I have some more names to consider.

Rogue: submarines (then make the carrier Ruin? I'm not as crazy for the Rebellion name as I am for the other ones, even though the meaning behind it is nice.)

Fiend: tacjets (then the carrier could be Anarchy?)

Some other names:

Berserker, Maniac, Frenzy

I came up with most of my names while at work. So this set was sort of "heat of the moment". I think that Frenzy could be the submarine because it keeps in line with the naval unit "destructive concept" naming Vortex, Wrath. I think that Frenzy would match.

I think I'd want to call the Carrier "Anarchy" but I think I'd like to call the tacjets "Rogues" I don't like calling them Fiends. The negative connotation is just slightly larger than I'd like. Plus is reminds me of Star Wars' "Rogue Squadron".

But regardless, I just hope that a full contingent of upgrades is made available, whatever their name.

Ahh... now it makes sense the way you think. You're an architecture student. :D I remember somebody saying that during some early Rising Tide talk; I did some quick googling, and sure enough, it was you. (I studied architecture too; those studios... *shudder*)

Ahh... now it makes sense the way you think. You're an architecture student. :D I remember somebody saying that during some early Rising Tide talk; I did some quick googling, and sure enough, it was you. (I studied architecture too; those studios... *shudder*)

Is it that obvious? :lol: I'm suffering through the last of the undergrad.

A lot of pattern recognition, micro/macro-scale analysis going on here. You know, the "fun stuff".

I need to get back to hand drawing because I'm quite rusty. I'd love to try and draft up concepts or at the very least, impressions for these and my Unique Units.

Top Bottom