Firaxis announces "Sid Meier's Starships"

I am intrigued that the game will apparently have some cross connectivity with BE. If you look at the screenshots, you can see that the starships have the same style as purity, harmony and supremacy units. So, perhaps your affinity choice carries over from BE to Starships.
Indeed. One of the screenshots has the name "Combat_HarmonyvsPurityFleet.jpg".

doesn't look like a 4X game to me. not from the description, nor the few screenshots or Sid's comments: "an experience that focuses on starship design and combat within a universe filled with interstellar adventure, diplomacy, and exploration".

I agree. The description sounds like "Sid Meier's Pirates!" except in space.

You can clearly see a Supremacy fleet in the screenshots. I wonder how it will be, but if it's true that it's going to be released for ipad too, i am guessing the game will feel bland as a 4X, so it probably won't be exactly that.

I hope it will feature alien races, that eventually will get into CivBE, while the transhumanism is cool, variety on factions would improve more vastly from complete different races with assymetrical developments.

That's unexpected and weird. It looks like a BE spinoff in an alternate universe where each of the 8 colonies landed on a different planet and developed for a while before discovering others. I can't say I'm hyped, and I'm a bit miffed that they're announcing this at a time when BE has only had one major patch and still feels half finished.

EuroGamer has a large German interview. It says, SMS will only be available as a digital download and probably be a smaller title. It looks like SMS continues the story of CivBE: After the "Big Mistake", mankind colonized several planets, not just one. In SMS you leave your planet with a fleet to explore the galaxy and meet the people who colonized the other planets. So you will meet leaders who picked different affinities. I would say you probably will be able to play SMS with a Civ you played in CivBE before, carrying over this Civ to SMS.

Meh. Is my reaction.

EuroGamer has a large German interview. It says, SMS will only be available as a digital download and probably be a smaller title. It looks like SMS continues the story of CivBE: After the "Big Mistake", mankind colonized several planets, not just one. In SMS you leave your planet with a fleet to explore the galaxy and meet the people who colonized the other planets. So you will meet leaders who picked different affinities. I would say you probably will be able to play SMS with a Civ you played in CivBE before, carrying over this Civ to SMS.

From the interview, it sounds like the victory types will be very similar to Civ:

Sid Meier : There is a population of victory for which you need to control more than half of the galaxy. For you travel across the galaxy from one system to the next, solve their problems and bring them in as your federation. There is a science victory in which you have to be the leading civilization in technology and science. Then there is the classic Civ Domination victory in which you eliminate all your competitors. There will also be a miracle victory, if you want you to focus on the miracle. So there is to win the game a number of ways.

It might fill a vital niche in the 4x genre (non complicated game with many options), or it might make GalCiv III look good and make that game the new standard for 4x in space.

I guess it depends if Master of Orion IV is going to be a F2P game like World of Tanks now that Wargaming.net owns the IP etc... (I'd rather it wasn't)

Given that WoT is a pretty good game with a fair f2p system (compared to many others) I am still looking forward for a new Master of Orion. let's be honest, it just can't be worse than MoO3. ;)

Starships... available for mobile phones. Nuff said. I'd rather take any f2p that is tailored for PC and not dumbed down for the Farmville masses.

It's official: BE is an orphan. I hope you like it the way it is because that's all you're gonna get.

According to Pete, it has a few gameplay features from Ace Patrol, but will have more strategy involved.

It's official: BE is an orphan. I hope you like it the way it is because that's all you're gonna get.

This looks like what is passing for a BE expansion pack, as far as I can tell. That's the only way this announcement makes sense to me.

Well it looks like a rather small game, also the early release (spring) seems to go with it, and it works on an iPad. Looking at the screenshot there is very little UI.

Also it looks like GC3 a lot but I feel GC3 wil be by far the meatier game.

Maybe it will be cool who knows but I doubt it will be a big release. Eitherway nothing was shown almost on these previews.

Top Bottom