First Impressions: I kind of hate playing Millennia.

Lord Lakely

Idea Fountain
Disclaimer #1: I didn't really see a thread where you can post your own impressions about Millennia so here it goes I guess. If I did miss such a topic, feel free to move this post there.
Disclaimer #2: this is going to be a rant, so be warned. Contains whining betwixt the good points.
Disclaimer #3: this kind of turned into a review as I wrote but oh well.

Okay, so I've spent the entire day playing Millennia, which I was excited for. It's a Civ-like by Paradox and has several really cool mechanics I want to see implemented in Civ. It looks like a game specifically tailored towards building your own empire, tweaking it to your liking with no stress. It has production chains, towns, modular constructio which are all things I dream of for CIv 7. Finally, I thought. Finally, a game for ME.

How wrong I was. I am not yet sure whether Millennia is a bad game with really good ideas, or a good game that is very badly balanced. What I do know is that I've tried to play it four times, including on the lowest possible difficulty setting (which is really just the same game as ever but with one really dumb AI as the opponent), and ragequit all four games before Era five. This game is anxiety-enducing, and that's not fun.

So sure, the game is not for me, and I could leave it at that. But the game has a fundamental problem it urgently needs to address: Millennia a critical mass of convoluted mechanics that are very poorly explained.

The first problem for me is that the game punishes you extremely harshly for playing a peaceful builder game. The strongest national spirits are all militaristically oriented and you're incentivized to conquer the map as effectively a single city state with a lot of bad, low population vassals that you do not control directly. Raiders especially is busted as you can very quickly get a critical mass of cheap units that cost no maintenance and last you all the way to Era four. That is, to my knowledge, the only way to play the game and enjoy it. Which feels like a shame for a game with such rich economic mechanics. Military approaches being the most optimal would be more okay for me if this didn't feel like the only way to play Millennia effectively.

Directly controlling cities almost always leads to problems, even if you micro them, so you're better always better off playing it like Civ 5 Venice. This playstyle also causes you to fall behind the AI, as you only have one or maybe two cities to get all the valuable types of experience from, or units, and it's very difficult to get both. (Picking Raiders in Era 2 is one of few ways to get both). No matter well you build up your industry, you will always be come up short militaristically or economically unless you integrate more cities into your empire and doing that destabilizes your empire. Walking this tightrope could work if the values were balanced properly and they're not. Vassalization is a broken mechanic that solves all of your problems. Unrest? Vassalize. City causes a Crisis? Vassalize. Instability in any way shape or form? Vassalize. Absorb the city, dev it, then vassalize it again, rince and repeat. It gets old, surprisingly quickly.

As an example of its strength, take for instance, the Theologians civil idea (or national spirit or whatever it's called) you can adopt in the Age of Kings. It incentivizes you to found a religion, so I do so immediately, as soon as I can, in my largest city. No idea whether religion has any downsides, the game advertises it as a cool new mechanic introduced in Age 4, so I take it. Before I know it, I garner civil unrest due to a lack of Faith for my religion in my city and the ONLY way to stop it is to vassalize my city immediately. None of the buildings that give faith are unlocked as I had a tech lead and entered Era 4 first. Unfortunately, I was too late to vassalize my city, locking my next Era as an Age of Intolerance.

The Theologian idea group offers a way to help you out by building Monasteries, which are described as an Improvement exclusive to hills. However, after unlocking Monasteries I don't see them amongst my other improvements and they don't show up in the Infopedia. In reality, you need to research Organized religion first AND you can ONLY build Monasteries in outposts attached to the city, not in actual cities! THE GAME DOESN'T TELL YOU ANY OF THIS. The game does NOT tell you how you can avoid this particular crisis because it does not explain the mechanics that can help you prevent the disaster. I had to infer everything myself through guesswork and deduction. The game gives you ONE pop up telling you that your city needs religious satisfaction, but the speed at which the dissatisfaction snowballs out of proportion gives you no time to react, only to prep in advance. It's like playing Baldur's Gate 3 on Honour Mode blind.

Speaking of the Age system. Um, who the hell balanced this? (and that's a rethorical question because the answer is no one). The Age idea is great and so are the idea of Special Ages and Crisis Ages. However, they imprimentation is not good and civ 6 did it better. Say that I am happily building up my empire on continent #1, and an AI that I haven't met, on the OTHER continent, who has ZERO bearing in my game, grows their homeland city to 11 pop, fails to build an aquaduct or midden in time, resulting in horrible sanitation issues, and then locks their next era into an Age of Plague Crisis Era for EVERYONE. Fun! Your population just DIES and you're forced to spend hundreds of Improvement points cleaning it up, as you try to catch up in tech. But you can't as improvements lead to production, and production leads to everything else. Pity if you haven't built Lookout Towers in your cities during Era 1 because that's the only consistent way to get the Exploration XP needed to have the plague doctor unit you get for free clean up the waste.

I don't know whether it's the same for you guys, but when something like that happens and there is NO WAY TO STOP IT AS A PLAYER, and the "solution"prepping like a maniac on the off-chance it may happen, I just lose all will to play the game. The game, pardon my choice of words, F***S YOU OVER for playing it because it's not balanced properly. It uses trial and error, but in a way that leads to regretting having made the purchase.

It's not much better when you're accidentally locking yourself into a Crisis age either. Once you've passed the threshold (and the threshold is LOW, irrespective of difficulty), there's no undoing it. If you advance 18/20 points into the crisis age, that's it, those 18 points are there to stay forever. That feels... unwholesome, even unsatisfactory. A player should definitely have the agency to reverse their mistakes, especially if when interacting with game mechanics that are poorly explained. You accrue all this political power with the different XP you get, and you can't use any of it to buy down crisis progression?

The things I've mentioned aren't even the only things that should be improved - Diplomacy for instance is terrible in this game, with an AI so painfully obtuse and dickish it makes for worse interactions than Civ 6, and that game's bar for Dip is below sea level. Most meaningful interactions are locked behind sending an Envoy, but as it turns out, there's no point down that as the average difficulty AI will find ways to declare hostilities and hate you anyway. Envoys are much better spent on buying city states, which is also the cheapest and easiest way to get cities. You don't actually settle that often in the game, so enjoy having a region list full of Spanish names in your game as the Persians, because the Minor nations are just the cities of empires that didn't spawn in the game. The Civ you play (whichever one that is) suffers badly from a lack of flavour and identity.

Overall, I just feel like this game failed at the overal objective of playing a game in the first palce: which is to be fun. Sure my fun isn't your fun. If you enjoy painfully realistic simulators of How The Western Roman Empire Fell, then this game is absolutely for you. For me though, I would appreciate an option to dial back the some severe, punitive nature of the game. Currently, there's no such thing - every game you set up in Millennia determines the map, the size and the number of opponents (also the opponents themselves but this is entirely meaningless in Millennia - Rome, Egypt and Japan are 100% identical save for names of the towns they settle.)

It all leaves me with the impression that Millennia in its current form is half-baked, and that I'm playing a beta-branch early access rather than a full release. Mechanically it does not run like a game that has been playtested properly. I plays like it was released not because it was finished but because it hit its publication deadline. I hope the rough edges get patched out quick.

I'll do another series of games tomorrow to see if I can figure out a way to make this game fun for me as a player. There are definitely... parts of Millennia I enjoy: the production chains, the improvement system, the different kinds of mana and upgrade system for both units and buildings, are all very promising. None of it matters. If the balance of the game remains as problematic and punitive as it is (except for when you snowball into conquering the entire map on the basis of Raiders), I can't see myself sinking many more hours into it. I kind of hated playing Millennia, and that bad first impression will be hard to overcome.

Last edited:
I won my first game on the highest difficulty as a peaceful builder. I picked 4 engineering national spirits and it's really strong. Mount builders is probably the strongest national spirit in the second age right now if you have enough grasslands. Vassals are really useless in the lategame. Raiders is good if you get boxed in by the AI in the early game and you cannot expand peacefully.

The maximum amount of cities you can get is 8 and you should aim for that. And you need to micro them all. To combat unrest you need city guards. There is an improvement to get more faith, but you need forests for it. You can also get faith temporarily with arts xp.

Diplomacy seems quite terrible. Later in the game I got spammed by notifications that AI's started wars all the time only to settle for peace a few turns later.

The game isn't all that polished at release but that is normal for complex 4x games. Same thing happened with civ5 and civ6. Just look at the patches that both civ games got in the first 6 month. In civ5 at release you could win with just 4 horseman.

This game, while it might look similar to civ plays quite different. If you want a civ6 clone you will be disappointed just like the IGN reviewer. It is a fairly complex strategy game that definetly needs some learning time. On the other hand there is a lot to explore.

I am getting the same feelings when I play the game. Just today I found out farm tiles besides rivers earn +1 food! I cannot find that information anywhere, it just appeared out of nowhere...

The game has a ton of great ideas, but like Humankind it hasn't done well to implement them IMO, which is disappointing. Still giving it a go here and there, but right now even when games are going well I often reach Age IV and just quit as I don't feel motivated to continue the game.

EDIT: Something I just noticed on another quick playthrough I quit: The infopedia literally doesn't give you all the info, it literally says it adds info AS you play the game... WHY!? Why can't I know what comes next ahead of time!? WHHHYYYYY!?

Last edited:
Thanks for kicking off the first impression review posts!

I just got to the age of Aether on the highest difficulty, so can only comment on what comes before. Since it was my second playthru up to that age, I was familiar with some but not all mechanics (eg diplo, art, religion, and largely avoided those).

So far, I’d say the game’s pacing feels like civ6 modded for normal build speed and slow era advancement. Turns can take quite awhile any time I am rushing improvement points, and certainly during wars. That was my preferred pacing and so it lands really well for me.

I got in one war against a 1-age more advanced neighbor who declared on me. I had some Spartans from a peaceful era as warriors, and started pumping out pikes, crossbows, and then knights. They started at knights and spears (!) and got arbs halfway through. I got organized warfare and so had 5-unit armies to their 4. We were fighting in a rather narrow mountain/forest region which made for some fun tactics.

Overall the war was super fun. I liked retooling my iron regions to generate military XP, which makes such a difference with extra heals and the occasional forced march (eg to break a city and take it in the same turn). Routing works really well IMHO, as most units will survive an attack, and come back at full health in 1-2 turns if you don’t chase them down. I sent my Spartans on solo runs to kill routed armies a few times, and about half the time they were themselves routed safely back to my line. Keeping enough leaders around to even the odds added some fun/challenge, and eventually I had exhausted my opponent’s military XP (I think) because their armies stopped including leaders, which was decisive. That said, it was more laborious to fight than in Civ6 1UPT, since I was constantly cycling in fresh units and changing up configurations to avoid (most) casualties. I liked this, and it felt more flexible than the 1UPT puzzle (I started sending units to an open space on the way to my next battle, and when fully assembled move the army in to attack; for this the Undo button is a must). Once I captured the first city and we moved to fighting in more open regions, it became more difficult to stave off casualties, but tight terrain definitely gave me as a player space to outsmart the AI enough to fight a more powerful enemy. So, a very fun experience, but I made sure to avoid every other war afterward, even using the culture power for peace, to avoid getting into super slow turns.

I find the city management fun, once I know what I am doing, but of course, quite painful to learn, since no wiki yet and the in game info is rather limited. I imagine that heavily colored the reviews.

I find the game’s systems to be well balanced against each other. Everything seems a little expensive until you implement the age’s tech, then it seems reasonable. I could generally build all the buildings I wanted to, spending ~30% of my time on projects (improvement points and knowledge). I like being able to export tools to new cities to get them up and running quickly. Also like how upgraded governments give enough food/production so that new cities develop much faster than your first cities did. Managing needs is fun, and keeps growth rate up as a reward. I find that I am equally pressed for flat tiles as I am for pops, with just enough to do what I want after making a couple tough decisions.

All to say, I feel like most criticisms I read in official reviews have not panned out for me. I just hope the UI and turn-transitions get streamlined in the next year. If the game played as seamlessly as Humankind’s “end turn” button, if the tooltips were anywhere near as exhaustive as in Old World, if all relevant info was on screen (eg city yields, per-turn deltas for all values), and if there were snappier menu interactions (with more actions possible without entering a menu), I bet games could be played in 1/3 the time with less mental load. My favorite features are the improvement menu that pops up when you click a tile, and the army menu with most actions right where you expect.

Edit: forgot to add that I love how some baseline techs (some new units) are included in the age advance, so that you don’t have to choose to research some XYZ vs getting one useful unit in each era.

Last edited:
There were a whole bunch of us that were eagerly looking forward to this game as soon as it was announced. Partly that was due to the utter wasteland that is the bug-infested Civ VI at this point, the lack of any information about Civ VII, and the prospect of some very interesting new ideas and game mechanics from the Millennia team.

Then the Demo dropped, I got a chance to play several games for the first 60 turns - roughly the first 2 - 3 Eras/Ages - and the eagerness went down a number of notches.

Now I've had a chance to try to play the released game, and the eagerness is dead and buried, and I already regret paying for the game. I'm sure there are numbers of people out there that will play it and enjoy it, but to me, to put it bluntly, the game is BORING: a collection of old mechanics that has been barely serviceable in Civ for 10+ years, trotted out apparently because they used up all their innovation on the Age mechanic, which itself is very poorly done.

For starters, they remove agency from the gamer.
1. You can't even place your starting city - the game does it for you, and not very well. In 7 sample starting positions, every single one was just outside of the radius that would include useful Resources, with no resources within the starting radius to compensate. Frustrating doesn't beg in to describe it: with 20 years of examples from Civ and now Humankind and Old World, this is simply D***-A*s Game Design (in the future, because I will use it again, abbreviated DAGD)
2. Almost immediately you meet (in most cases) 'city state' equivalents, which are substantially worse than Civ's because they do Absolutely Nothing except sit in place and defend themselves: no roving units, no trade routes from them, no Resources until you do something to them. What an utter waste of map space.
3. Right afterwards, you meet Barbarians. The same Always Hostile Barbarians that Civ has used since at least Civ II 25 years ago, only these infest every spare corner of the map with camps and roving armies within a single Age, making any Scouts virtually useless after the first 15% of the game. Another waste, this time of a unit type. In every game I played in the Demo, I fought 2 - 3 times more battles against Barbarians than against 'city states' and other factions combined.
4. Which brings us to the battles. And we might as well leave them right away, because, again, they have removed all gamer-agency from them. You piles up your units as allowed, you sends them into a tile to fight, and then you wait and (if you are masocistic) you watch some of the worst graphics animation I've seen in any game for at least 10 years until the game tells you what happened. DAGD. They have Veterancy and Leaders and different unit-types (mobile, line, ranged) in the game already, yet the gamer can seemingly do nothing with them except build them, pat them on their little digital heads and send them off. Why bother?
5. The vaunted Ages mechanic has some nice touches, but all is buried under a steaming pile of World Wide Ageism. Everybody goes into an Age of Intolerance, or an Age of Blood, or an Age of Demented Dogmatism: as posted, something happening a world away drags your faction and neighbors and continent into an Age you never heard of, Just Because. And There Is Nothing You Can Do About It - except quit in disgust, which seems to be the default gamer response they were looking for. DAGD.

People have commented positively on the Resources and 'production lines' in the game, and they are a refreshing change from Civ (or Humankind, or Old World). But establishing the production requires that you build stuff on the map, and there the familiar DAGD rears up to bite you on the keyboard again. Everything is built outside the city, which is a single tile. It doesn't really matter whether they call it an Improvement or a Building, because none of it can be defended unless you sit an army on top of it - walls only cover the single tile of the city. I had one improved Resource tile that was 'pillaged' 4 times, as fast as I could rebuild it, by Barbarians - it was a frogging Magnet for every Barby Yahoo on the continent, and no way to stop them except to station an army on or next to the tile And Never Move It Away. DAGD.

And the Production only enhances existing resources, it doesn't really add new ones. IF the late game adds Industrial Steel or Concrete construction materials or Silly Putty to the resources and bonuses it is not apparent in the first half of the game: all you do is extract a little more food, or Production, or whatever from each tile - if you can keep it operating at all. IF better implemented (as noted by others, the Bane of this game: DAGD Implementation) this more elaborate extraction of Resources would be a really neat feature. Emphasis on IF.

Since the game was released, I have tried several times to play past the Demo limit (+60 turns) but I have only managed it once, and that only to about 75 turns, when I turned off the game before I fell asleep over the keyboard. Too much of the game boils down to old, old mechanics we've seen in other games for Decades, tired graphics no better than games that were released 5 - 10 years ago, and a few 'new' features poorly done.

I'm sorry, I really wanted to like this as a different approach to 4X gaming, but the only consistent difference is that it bores me to tears faster than any other game I've tried for years, and life's just too short to put up with that.

PS: It does provide a host of new examples of what Not To Do in Civ VII, or what not to Implement The Same Way even if they do try to do it. Hopefully, someone at Firarxis will take notice . . .

OMG a Boris Gudenof rant, we truly aren't worthy <3

I played another game yesterday and got a lot further this time around. Reached the age of Revolution.

The diplomacy is even worse than I thought. Sent an envoy to everyone, made treaties for knowledge and culture and I'm getting... NONE of the sort? Why does the game show me a treaty for 17 Knowledge, I sign it, and return five turns later and it says I signed a treaty for ZERO knowledge?! Does it increase incrementally? Was it just a flat 17 Knowledge that I've already received? Game doesn't tell you that.

One of the AIs also loved to sign open borders with me, only to cancel them after three turns, as soon as they could. The "Improving relations" button is just a button that you press. Your relations go up and, the AI remains as robotic and stupid as before. No, I do not want to sign an alliance, because doing so IMMEDIATELY forces me to declare war on other nations. There's no agency there either, making the mechanic as pointless as it is irritating.

So as it turns out, putting every AI on apprentice helps prevent the Age of Plague without spamming Eureka's like a maniac. Christ almighty. if Civ 7 features Eras again, then add in more player agency - as Boris said, I feel like I'm racing AGAINST THE AI to save the world from death and doom. if I doom my empire and have to go through a crisis, it's my own damn fault. but I shouldn't be getting the ages that other players have brought down on themselves or worked towards. Like, I shouldn't be benefiting from another player's Golden Age either? It looks as though the AI doesn't take these ages into account anyway, or works towards preventing the bad ones, so if that happens, then why include them in the release branch anyway? You can absolutely cut content if the content doesn't work. There's no shame in that.

Also dodged the Age of Intolerance by simply rushing to the Renaissance and only THEN founding my religion. Why introduce a new mechanic only to immediately punish you for it for trying? What does Religion even do besides give you extra buildings? I suppose I can use it for science and culture? Certainly not for realm stability as I can never fully satisfy any of my cities even after I've built the TWO (2!!!) religious buildings that satisfy faith. I live in a city that has half a million residents - I have a church across the street, then another three blocks away. How is an in-game city with 15+ pop going to provide faith with just a temple and a holy site? Public schools are improvements. Why aren't temples improvements? I have to get out of my way to build Castles and then Abbeys, which is not that big of a hassle compared to some of the other rubbish the game forces you to go through, but still. A good example of the lack of balance in the game.

Religion isn't interesting in its current form. It's just a name, a symbol and a unique name for the temples. That's it! Oh and you need it to build the temples, which give Culture so if you want more culture, you'll want a religion I guess. Infer my entheusiasm.

But anyway, I got a special age in the Age of Enlightement called Age of Alchemy, so that's cool? The Arcana harvesting mechanic got old very really fast and I quickly lost track of my alchemists, but ooh big dragonfire cannons. (this game really needs to decide whether it wants to go for augmented realism or fake history. pick a lane.) If only the map clearly showed where my Alchemists are, so I wouldn't be stuck looking for them. (I gave up after 30 seconds - a Where Is Waldo hunt is not why I like Civ-likes.)

Then I entered the age of Revolution. I think this is the default era name? I assume so because it was the only era I could enter from Alchemy. It feels like I entered a crisis though, I'm being pelted by rebel militia, although my realm is fully stable with no unrest. it's a nuissance (and I have to again, spend HUNDREDS OF IPs REPAIRING MY IMPROVEMENTS), but not a major threat. A squad of BOW HUNTERS (era 2 unit) can kill the (era 7!) rebels on the basis of range alone. (again: if I can do this, why even have the mechanic in the first place? What does it add to the game?) Which I suppose brings me to Barbarians.

Barbarians are trash in this game. Now, I HATE raging, threatening barbarians you had in Civ 4, but you could just play without them. You could also make them more dangerous if you like a challenge. The Barbarians in Millennia are weaker than those in Civ 5 & 6, do NOT upgrade with time, meaning they'll be attacking your gunpowder units with sticks and stones during the late renaissance. That's the one difficulty they have, regardless of how tough the AI are. There is also no option to switch them off, which I feel like should be in the game because in their current state they add nothing of value to the game beyond the first two eras.

Finally, now that I've unlocked electricty, I now need a resource called specialists to make oil wells. I do not know how to get specialists. I'm sure the game has told me when I entered my age of Alchemy when I unlocked education, which I believe is where they also unlock? I assume it works like improvements, but I only see shovels and grimoires as my resources. How do I get specialists? Do I need more education buildings? But I already have those in all of my cities.I have every building in my cities. Why don't I have specialists. Do I need to wait? The Infopedia doesn't give me answers. (usually an indicator I need to wait because prescience is a sin.) It sucks because Eras 5, 6 and 7 were fun, well-balanced and ituitive, but now I've hit era 8 (which might be a crisis or not? I am STILL not sure.) there's a new, important mechanic and I no idea how to use it.

There are still so many problems with this game. I've enjoyed this longer game, but I still feels like my main opponent is the game itself, which has been designed with little regard to user experience. Like a dungeon master who deliberately withholds information from you and likes to see you suffer.

These issues need to be patched out. You should be able to customize game difficulty. You should be able to toggle certain features on or off. The infopedia NEEDS TO HAVE A SEARCH FEATURE and clear articles that explain everything, with links, tooltips and pictures if needed.

I'll play some more (a new game from scratch) for playtesting purposes, until I've hit the entire game, but blergh. It does get better the more you play and the more you learn to dodge the pitfalls but christ. I should not be forced to SUFFER for hours in order to have an enjoyable game.

Last edited:

I played another game yesterday and got a lot further this time around. Reached the age of Revolution.

The diplomacy is even worse than I thought. Sent an envoy to everyone, made treaties for knowledge and culture and I'm getting... NONE of the sort? Why does the game show me a treaty for 17 Knowledge, I sign it, and return five turns later and it says I signed a treaty for ZERO knowledge?! Does it increase incrementally? Was it just a flat 17 Knowledge that I've already received? Game doesn't tell you that.

One of the AIs also loved to sign open borders with me, only to cancel them after three turns, as soon as they could. The "Improving relations" button is just a button that you press. Your relations go up and, the AI remains as robotic and stupid as before. No, I do not want to sign an alliance, because doing so IMMEDIATELY forces me to declare war on other nations. There's no agency there either, making the mechanic as pointless as it is irritating.

So as it turns out, putting every AI on apprentice helps prevent the Age of Plague without spamming Eureka's like a maniac. Christ almighty. if Civ 7 features Eras again, then add in more player agency - as Boris said, I feel like I'm racing AGAINST THE AI to save the world from death and doom. if I doom my empire and have to go through a crisis, it's my own damn fault. but I shouldn't be getting the ages that other players have brought down on themselves or worked towards. Like, I shouldn't be benefiting from another player's Golden Age either? It looks as though the AI doesn't take these ages into account anyway, or works towards preventing the bad ones, so if that happens, then why include them in the release branch anyway? You can absolutely cut content if the content doesn't work. There's no shame in that.

Also dodged the Age of Intolerance by simply rushing to the Renaissance and only THEN founding my religion. Why introduce a new mechanic only to immediately punish you for it for trying? What does Religion even do besides give you extra buildings? I suppose I can use it for science and culture? Certainly not for realm stability as I can never fully satisfy any of my cities even after I've built the TWO (2!!!) religious buildings that satisfy faith. I live in a city that has half a million residents - I have a church across the street, then another three blocks away. How is an in-game city with 15+ pop going to provide faith with just a temple and a holy site? Public schools are improvements. Why aren't temples improvements? I have to get out of my way to build Castles and then Abbeys, which is not that big of a hassle compared to some of the other rubbish the game forces you to go through, but still. A good example of the lack of balance in the game.

Religion isn't interesting in its current form. It's just a name, a symbol and a unique name for the temples. That's it! Oh and you need it to build the temples, which give Culture so if you want more culture, you'll want a religion I guess. Infer my entheusiasm.

But anyway, I got a special age in the Age of Enlightement called Age of Alchemy, so that's cool? The Arcana harvesting mechanic got old very really fast and I quickly lost track of my alchemists, but ooh big dragonfire cannons. (this game really needs to decide whether it wants to go for augmented realism or fake history. pick a lane.) If only the map clearly showed where my Alchemists are, so I wouldn't be stuck looking for them. (I gave up after 30 seconds - a Where Is Waldo hunt is not why I like Civ-likes.)

Then I entered the age of Revolution. I think this is the default era name? I assume so because it was the only era I could enter from Alchemy. It feels like I entered a crisis though, I'm being pelted by rebel militia, although my realm is fully stable with no unrest. it's a nuissance (and I have to again, spend HUNDREDS OF IPs REPAIRING MY IMPROVEMENTS), but not a major threat. A squad of BOW HUNTERS (era 2 unit) can kill the (era 7!) rebels on the basis of range alone. (again: if I can do this, why even have the mechanic in the first place? What does it add to the game?) Which I suppose brings me to Barbarians.

Barbarians are trash in this game. Now, I HATE raging, threatening barbarians you had in Civ 4, but you could just play without them. You could also make them more dangerous if you like a challenge. The Barbarians in Millennia are weaker than those in Civ 5 & 6, do NOT upgrade with time, meaning they'll be attacking your gunpowder units with sticks and stones during the late renaissance. That's the one difficulty they have, regardless of how tough the AI are. There is also no option to switch them off, which I feel like should be in the game because in their current state they add nothing of value to the game beyond the first two eras.

Finally, now that I've unlocked electricty, I now need a resource called specialists to make oil wells. I do not know how to get specialists. I'm sure the game has told me when I entered my age of Alchemy when I unlocked education, which I believe is where they also unlock? I assume it works like improvements, but I only see shovels and grimoires as my resources. How do I get specialists? Do I need more education buildings? But I already have those in all of my cities.I have every building in my cities. Why don't I have specialists. Do I need to wait? The Infopedia doesn't give me answers. (usually an indicator I need to wait because prescience is a sin.) It sucks because Eras 5, 6 and 7 were fun, well-balanced and ituitive, but now I've hit era 8 (which might be a crisis or not? I am STILL not sure.) there's a new, important mechanic and I no idea how to use it.

There are still so many problems with this game. I've enjoyed this longer game, but I still feels like my main opponent is the game itself, which has been designed with little regard to user experience. Like a dungeon master who deliberately withholds information from you and likes to see you suffer.

These issues need to be patched out. You should be able to customize game difficulty. You should be able to toggle certain features on or off. The infopedia NEEDS TO HAVE A SEARCH FEATURE and clear articles that explain everything, with links, tooltips and pictures if needed.

I'll play some more (a new game from scratch) for playtesting purposes, until I've hit the entire game, but blergh. It does get better the more you play and the more you learn to dodge the pitfalls but christ. I should not be forced to SUFFER for hours in order to have an enjoyable game.
I've got this deep. actually going deeper. well into what's equivalent to 'Modern Era' in Civ series.
Still NO KAY to variety of unit lineups. especially evolutionary paths that follows Civ6 faulty examples of rigid classes. the 'Line' class is very deceptive to me. no converged paths and even separate Constable units (which are footsloggers, IRL dedicated law enforcement armed force are more mobile. you can't catch criminals on foot without the helps of steeds or automotives or helicopters!), and oddly enough. Inquisitors share the same lineage as NG. while its actual evolution path is Blackshirts. since they serve religious tyranny and even if they exists today AS IS (in any country that has no religious tolerance, and heresy is criminal offense (and favorably a capital punishment. and so often the execution is done in front of publics and very very gruesome, i'm not sure if late generation inquisitors use fusillads instead of purification pyre). they would have the same police vehicles.
Simply put. Inquisitors became Fascist Blackshirts.
In this game however. their upgrade path puts them towards either Riot Police (Crowd Control Unit) or National Guard.

Last edited:

Can't speak to any body's 'worthiness', but that ain't a rant.

A Rant is when I am angry.

This is just Frustration

And the Frustration boils down to this: they decided to make a 4X Historicalish game. Fine, I will never be the first to complain that we have too many of those.

BUT if you are going to jump into a genre that has already had examples going back 25 years or more (and much, much longer if you include boardgames) then no matter how many new and innovative ways you want to pursue the genre, it just makes sense to look at examples already out there of what did and did not work.

And try not to replicate the latter while ignoring the former, because that is a recipe for (wait for it) DAGD.

For just one example:

I understand they were looking to give the gamer an absolutely Blank Slate and the ability to build their Civ/Faction untrammeled by any starting biases or 'unique bonuses' (or maluses, for that matter). Not at all a bad idea, and a potential complete departure from every 4X game I've seen so far (going back to boardgames, in fact)
BUT
Gamers really like special units, buildings, improvements, etc. They may argue at interminable length on how they could be better or more integrated or more 'true' to the historical antecedent, but that doesn't mean, in my experience, that they want to do without them completely.

So what could they have done? Well, they could present some compensating Unique Idea/Concept in the game that would fire the gamy imagination as much as the special units et al did in other games - like Ages To Order and a flexible advancement path through those Ages. But instead they gave us Ages Imposed by the rest of the world, which force you to play in certain ways and give you no agency to get out of Imposed Paths. Hint: Gamers do not like to be forced to play certain ways with no options at all: they get tired of that very, very quickly and start turning the game off and going back to playing something else.

What else they could have done is given the gamers special units, improvements, buildings, etc generated by on-map, in-game peculiarities rather than unique to an artificial Faction or Civ (which they are trying to avoid). Start next to a desert? You might get Camel resources which allow you, in certain circumstances, to build Camel Rider units. Similiar types of on-map agencies might allow Elephant or Mounted units ONLY with access to Elephant or Horse Resources rather than generic 'scout riders'. There are numerous on-map combinations that could allow 'special' units, procedures, buildings, improvements and the way your specific Faction relates to the special circumstances. That would keep the Build Your Own flavor of the Factions while not making them all so Mind-Numbingly Boring after just a few plays of the game because there is absolutely nothing unique or special about them except the spelling of the city names..

I understand they were looking to give the gamer an absolutely Blank Slate and the ability to build their Civ/Faction untrammeled by any starting biases or 'unique bonuses' (or maluses, for that matter). Not at all a bad idea, and a potential complete departure from every 4X game I've seen so far (going back to boardgames, in fact)
BUT
Gamers really like special units, buildings, improvements, etc. They may argue at interminable length on how they could be better or more integrated or more 'true' to the historical antecedent, but that doesn't mean, in my experience, that they want to do without them completely.

So what could they have done? Well, they could present some compensating Unique Idea/Concept in the game that would fire the gamy imagination as much as the special units et al did in other games - like Ages To Order and a flexible advancement path through those Ages. But instead they gave us Ages Imposed by the rest of the world, which force you to play in certain ways and give you no agency to get out of Imposed Paths. Hint: Gamers do not like to be forced to play certain ways with no options at all: they get tired of that very, very quickly and start turning the game off and going back to playing something else.
This is a very good idea. If the choice of Civ is purely cosmetic, make it so that you pick a BIOME at the start of the game, and gain specific traits that should help you advance. Harder biomes should give stronger bonuses, since you start in harsher terrain.

The game sort of does this with the first national spirits you unlock, but it's not fully balanced. Big Game Hunters is more powerful than Mound Builders which is itself much more powerful than Naturalists and God-King Dynasty.

The game does give you unique units from time to time. The Bow Raider and Damascus Sword are two of them, but both are locked behind Innovation and you're unlikely to get them.

The only real cosmetic thing about the game are the flags and the city names... but the flag is always the same and rarely corresponds to your player colour, while the city names tend to run out really quickly. The Custom Nation's Builder merely allows you to combine city names and town names from different civs under an alternative flag.

I don't mind a bit of repetition and I do like the customizability of it - but I suspect Humankind (which I haven't played yet) did that aspect better.

---------------------

Meanwhile, started another game, went wide this time with Feudal Monarchy. It was okay. i was playing Germany and rolled out of city names after my 10th settlement, so I'm now naming everything manually :crazyeye:. I would expect there to be more than 25-ish names for towns if you can have up to 3 towns per settlement but oh well. Maybe the devs didn't anticipate anyone would play this game on Huge and with a reduced amount of players (which is how I play Civ all the time.). Maybe the devs didn't anticipate anyone would play this game.

The game did that thing again where it tells you what you should do, but not how to do it. I went Inventors because free Innovation and early electricity sounds juicy, and unlocked their Inventor's Laboratory.

1711836901577.png

Dear Paradox, what is this? Why does the improvement I supposedly unlocked not show up here?

1711836742408.png

If I don't have it yet, why is it not grayed out like the upgrades and units in the cities?

Why does it not show up on the TECH TREE to tell me what to research in order to get it.

1711836994878.png

It has to be under "REASON", right? That's the only thing that makes sense to me....

What I do know is that I cannot build this improvement because it's not in the Infopedia. :crazyeye: This is unironically 100% of my Infopedia consultations. I don't even check what the things do anymore - I just use it check whether I have it or not. If it shows up, I have it, if it doesn't, well, drat.

It's the same crap I've written about before but come on. This is just so elementary when it comes to designing a game? Especially one this complex?

It turns out that Arcana from the Age of Alchemy is the equivalent to Specialists in the regular game, but they cannot be used interchangeably? So if you pick this age, you basically screw yourself (and the entire map out) of Specialists until you unlock whatever the upgrade is? Seems a bit harsh. Maybe I'm playing it wrong, but you know if the INFOPEDIA ACTUALLY GAVE THE INFO I NEEDED, I probably wouldn't play the game this poorly. :-/

Looking for some positive things to say . . .

I repeat what I've posted before, the still artwork is very nice, and a welcome trend in recent games. In fact, I wouldn't mind having some of the pictures from the game as Wallpaper on my computer.

On the other hand, in the Age of Enlightenment picture shown in the post above, I wonder why the speaker is wearing a hat indoors. If you take a look at any of the 'group shot' paintings from the period, you will find that such behavior was simply unheard of: nekulturny, even.

Can't speak to any body's 'worthiness', but that ain't a rant.

A Rant is when I am angry.

This is just Frustration

And the Frustration boils down to this: they decided to make a 4X Historicalish game. Fine, I will never be the first to complain that we have too many of those.

BUT if you are going to jump into a genre that has already had examples going back 25 years or more (and much, much longer if you include boardgames) then no matter how many new and innovative ways you want to pursue the genre, it just makes sense to look at examples already out there of what did and did not work.

And try not to replicate the latter while ignoring the former, because that is a recipe for (wait for it) DAGD.
Historical 4Xes has always been subjecting to 'realism VS playability' spectrum when designing any aspects of the game.
And since History is a very serious subject. Game Designs has to be 'Acceptable'. And Millennia falls below Acceptable standards.
my interests are unit lineups.
And this game's unit lineup is very lame. it follows worst examples of Civ5 and 6. there's no converged points in some unit classes despite they should. For example in the Age of Enlightenment (Age 6 or 7 can't remember. I Only have one 'Deep play' game thus far) you get a standard infantry called 'Musket'. basically they're Fusiliers. (and equivalent to 'Line Infantry')
what considered nonsense is that Pikemen of the Middle Ages (Age of Kings) and Arquebusiers of the Renaissalce Era did NOT converge in the following one to form Fusiliers/Musketeers/Linear Infantry regardless that they DID IRL.

Last edited:
After playing as inventors, I learned to start checking if domain upgrades were typical improvements, domain powers or culture powers, since that workshop building is bought from the engineering domain menu. Certainly the infopedia is insufficient at launch, with very key terms not linked to pages, and many items simply omitted. I might add though that nothing I have seen is as confusing as Civ 6 tourism, which even a fully functioning wiki is not sufficient to help me understand how to win a game with.

I find I need to take a break from the game ever 1-2 ages, since you are basically learning a new game with each one. I’m entering info age now, and used the last two ages to catch up on research/knowledge so I don’t enter the victory age too far behind. Retooling my entire civ to increase knowledge has been quite fun. I don’t think I ever had this much fun playing late game Civ6. To me, learning each new age feels most similar to the grit of old world where civ powers are subtle yet meaningful. Certainly feels similar to humankind in the sense of adding new features throughout the game, based on what is needed at the time, but the bonuses of each feel less exciting to play (but humankind was all about flavorful runaway growth that was unfair to the AI). I think my biggest question is how replayable millenia is, once you know the mechanics. Maybe that will depend on whether I win this game.

What I’ve like lately:

1) The AI continues to wage effective war against each other into late game. In my game, one AI conquered another in rocketry age using armies that were 4-5 modern units with 1-2 outdated units. Honestly, unless I tried to modernize every unit line, I would field the same mixed “it is what it is” armies, but it gives the player the chance to create stronger armies than the AI if they sink everything into it. Also, by making cities relatively fragile, even simplistic AI can capture them. But that’s apparently not trivial. In Civ6 you could mod it to make cities weaker to where AI could capture them, but after mid game, AI would suddenly refuse to attack cities, sometimes parking 3-4 units nearby without attacking. Millenia allows some AI empires to grow through conquest throughout the game. I think that may create dynamic games where there are real stakes for not intervening against AI expansion. AI will also conquer rebel empires (though none emerged in my current game), in stark contrast to dramatic ages in Civ6. In a game where you let your money dwindle as you stretch yourself thin in warfare, there is no doubt a rebel nation will form, and maybe give those to an opponent.

2) New tech in later ages creates interesting dynamics. I’ve never had such a good time playing the builder phases of 4x, making the best out of the regions I could secure in early game or the haphazard regions I conquered form AI. From a grand strategy perspective, I find myself asking “what can I do here to win” and then enjoying a reward cycle as I pick a national spirit/government to best support that and thread the needle of new needs and limited pops/tiles to get it done. Age of Aether was quite enjoyable for me, continuing in a world where mountain lightening and not coal/oil formed the backbone of modern civilization until wind power emerged.

3) I really like domain XP and improvement points/specialists. It feels so natural to build incrementally as they trickle in, or run an IP project when I need to rapidly develop. And in late game peacetime, it gives a reasonably 4-8 actions per turn so that I am clicking “end turn” often enough while still feeling active. Building computer factories was a good example. I could get enough specialists/turn to where I could build a comp factory in one city every turn, while also modernizing a few improvements, which took up about half of the rocketry age (playing as Silicon Valley).

4) The culture cost of having more regions disincentives nonstop expansion unless you pick a vassal focused spirit/govt. In my current game, I had few vassals early and so did not pick those, and it feels good to sit on my 3-4 vassals from the one empire I conquered and know that it would be suboptimal to sacrifice knowledge to expand further.

What I hope will improve over the next year:

1) AI diplomacy and alliances seem to be a headache. Sure, you can use culture powers to secure a truce before an ally’s wars have much of an impact, but the threat of randomly being in a two-front war seems to render the benefits of an alliance moot.

2) I want to be able to help my vassals. After capturing a city, all improvements are razed, and it takes ages for the vassal to repair them.

3) The 1 city, 1-radius regions (vassals and city states) are weird. They provide no benefit as vassals, yet there is nothing to do but vassalize them. They help create tactical situations in wars, where capturing one lets you fight in friendly territory, but it seems that optimal play would avoid creating any of these, and would use very few settlers. However the AI turns all neutral territory into these vassal regions. It makes sense to destroy towns of regions you won’t integrate, to free up those tiles for your cities. Otherwise, I like the region/town/outpost mechanics.

About the difficulty, I feel like the game truly does only set it for AI (exactly as UI suggests).
I play on lowest diff usually because I like me some peaceful building sim. Then a single Barbarian Archer assaults my Army of 2 Spearmen and 1 Crossbowman, all with 1 Promotion and 100% Health and through 'Draw' kills the Crossbowman and leaves at 10% one of the Spearmen. Eh??? Pretty sure the Barbarians are buffed or cheat in the same way that AI does with higher difficulty - it's just there is no way to set it for them.

The issue is, this doesn't make the game more difficult - just more tidious. I simply trained more Units, moved them there and tried again and destroyed them and their BARBARIAN CITY ('tis not Encampments like in Civ). It wasn't difficult, it wasn't challenging, it just artifically, through no fault of my strategy, slowed me down. I still got my game where I intended it to be, it just took like 30 minues more - not exactly something I'd consider interesting design.

Also, the Combat feels like coin flip anyway. I got my army to such state where practically every fight was 80% Win, 20% Draw, but it felt more like 50% | 50%, the outcome being either my Units dropping by half Health or just by 10%. Usually this took turns - one Army dropped by 50%, then Army of same Power against another Barbarians of the same Power dropped by 10%, and this constantly taking turns and reapeating across the game.

Another complaint, why does the game spam me with another pop upkeep resource every 5 citizens, with buildings associated with them, having time to develop this needles feature (sometimes Housing and Amenities in Civ 6 already feel like they are redundant to be represented both rather than one, getting into each other's salad), but Vassals are so underdeveloped as a feature.

As for other points, even for an 'indie' game, I feel like this game is unpolished and needed another year in the oven. Although destined to be unable of competition and miniscule in scale compared to the giants, I see outlines of an interesting game that could yield me much fun in combination with modding support, it just needed to be finished.

Looking for some positive things to say . . .

I repeat what I've posted before, the still artwork is very nice, and a welcome trend in recent games. In fact, I wouldn't mind having some of the pictures from the game as Wallpaper on my computer.

On the other hand, in the Age of Enlightenment picture shown in the post above, I wonder why the speaker is wearing a hat indoors. If you take a look at any of the 'group shot' paintings from the period, you will find that such behavior was simply unheard of: nekulturny, even.
The art is good, yes. It's pretty, and flavourful. I like the economics - the production chains could be (or should be) deepened further so you can get a wider berth of trade goods, some of which give you mana (I'm currently struggling hard to get more engineering XP - I would like an alternative option that doesn't lock me into Machinery at the Age of Kings), but that's not a huge deal for me.

I also like the map. The resources and tile types are distinct and easy to discern. It feels like it's less rare to have a horrible starting location in Millennia than it is in Civ because even the bad land gives you something. Plains starts are amazing if you get Big Game Hunters, for instance. I would imagine that God King Dynasty gives a good upside to the very punitive Hills starts. Not being able to chop forests beyond spending engineering XP is really bad mechanically though, since you WILL need space for housing, sanitation and resources and forests don't allow you to place any of those things before clearing them, and you won't always want to dedicate your engineering XP to that.

>>Millennia a critical mass of convoluted mechanics that are very poorly explained.
It's not that they are poorly explained, they are, but it basically becomes a game of filling the various needs bars for your cities. You just try to keep it topped off all the time.

>>punishes you extremely harshly for playing a peaceful builder game
This is very common for Paradox games. There is no such thing as a peaceful 4x game in their mind. No peace in Stellaris or any of the others is there? The best I have been able to do so for is war early, conquer your continent and then you can have peace until the end of the game. I would say the bigger issue here is that the war aspect of the game is so horribly bad, from the rock-paper-scissors mechanic to the horrific war UI that looks like it is from some game 20ish years ago. They should just patch that thing out, since you can't really influence anything in the combat anyway since it's basically an auto-battler. The little tooltip that says how much damage you'll take and receive approximately is enough.

>>THE GAME DOESN'T TELL YOU ANY OF THIS.
Right. I still don't know really how the religion aspect of the game works. It's just another meter of needs that needs to be filled and maintained. I don't know what it does beyond that. As far as I know the only thing is does is to create problems and it allows you to pick a few national spirits. In my latest game I didn't even pick a religion and that was fine to, the only drawback if that is a thing was that I couldn't build a few buildings, but on the other hand there was one need I didn't need to fullfill. So it doesn't even show up as a need if you don't have a religion. I suggest skipping it for everyone.

>> Age of Plague Crisis Era for EVERYONE
That just isn't true. OK my sample size is two games so far but I have yet to see Age of Plague. I gather that it's bad. It seems to me, with my limited sample, that the AI always do the normal ages. You have to activate the interesting once. But that could be wrong. Still even if you get locked into a bad age you don't have to research it. Just back fill with tech and wait for one of the other civs to pick something and then let them finish it. That will make that the age instead of your bad one. At least that is how I got out of Age of Blood.

I guess it's my time to vent, or rant, a bit about the game now then. I don't think Millennia is going to be a CIV killer. It's basically Old World, Humankind and all those other potential "CIV KILLERS" that just don't do it and all fall short in the end. This one does to. It was fun for a few games but it's basically an abstract mess that doesn't really do or add much. Not enough polish to be viable.

I do kind of like the Age system. It does give a little variety to things.

I think it was when I picked Inventors one of the events was that needs for knowledge increased. Then it doubled. That was annoying. Basically people was crazy for libraries. The more libraries and universities I built for knowledge the worse the need for knowledge became. That just made no sense. I had to spam out school improvements just to try and keep them satisfied.

Things that annoy me is that I can't burn placed cities to the ground. So in my war the AI was losing but kept spamming worthless cities up north behind itself. So I ended up with about 14 worthless vassals on the map that I just couldn't do much with. It had packed them in so tight that it was pointless to try and make it into something proper cause there was no place left to put towns so it would be bad cities. Towns are burned to the ground when conquered. If you can delete them I don't know how. I must have missed that part or aspect of it all. It's the same as I do think you are supposed to be able to clean a tile or harvest it so you can build other things on it, but I forgot how and then I never found that again. I know where you cut down trees and swamps and such but how do you get rid of the deers ...

I do kind of like the production chain aspect of it, even tho it's very unpolished. But it's a lot of looking back and forth and counting of how many of X do I need to supply a Y and what happens when they upgrade and ...

I wanted to absorb an outpost but I can't control which city it went to. It just took one of the three cities that borderd it and gave it to I guess the oldest one. It wasn't the one I wanted to have it. No undo function for that option, I guess I could have saved and loaded again.

National spirit and/or/some Special era units can't be upgraded. I guess the era once can. At least the Explorers always seem to be good, but the Raiders eventually become really bad and the Spartans ... Same. It's hard to know when you should turn them into leaders and then delete/retire them. It's just that the war xp for doing it is bad, it costs more to turn them into a leader then you get back when you retire them. So you better just delete them when they become obsolete, at least the Spartans made good police with the buffs to keep the population in their place.

I don't know how the diplomacy actually works. It seems to mostly be about turning on and off the killing of units in neutral land. Have not been able to do much about it beyond that. I mainly use it now to quickly see what the AI picked and how much power and regions/cities they have.

If I want to save points for an improvement I kind of have in mind where I wanted that improvement, it doesn't remember that. Just that I wanted to save points. So I have to keep track of that myself. Which on a larger map or later in the game becomes somewhat annoying.

In the early game I don't have enough improvement points, in the late I don't know what to do with them all. It just sits filled. Even when there is a war or event it refills quickly.

Is the best town a town surrounded by either farm land, forests or hills? It seems you want to have like most or all of some type to maximize the specialization of said town.

The Chaos events, it just seems that I keep wealth banked, about 1000-1500 at most and then pay for the problem to go away. That have so far worked all game. I took some of them was was something something is active for 5 turns or so. Big deal. No matter. But I don't want it to spawn in 3-4 barbarians per region/capital/city or whatever. That problem you pay to go away.

Farms are better near water, so is apparently windpower. I thought they wanted to be on hills and such. But more power if they are coastal. It didn't say. I just found out when I built it and then read the tool tip. The Infopedia (or whatever it's called) desperately needs a search function. Or better information. I guess you'll gather these things the more games you play. The little quirks of the game.

I guess I should prepare in my third game now for what I suspect is an attack from beyond the stars ...

Last edited:
It turns out that Arcana from the Age of Alchemy is the equivalent to Specialists in the regular game, but they cannot be used interchangeably? So if you pick this age, you basically screw yourself (and the entire map out) of Specialists until you unlock whatever the upgrade is? Seems a bit harsh. Maybe I'm playing it wrong, but you know if the INFOPEDIA ACTUALLY GAVE THE INFO I NEEDED, I probably wouldn't play the game this poorly. :-/
I don't think that they do, or if you can I have not been able to find out how. But the alchemists, or whatever the once that gather the thing from the ground that are really hard to see on some tiles, doesn't upgrade to anything so should just get disbanded. Cause once you leave the age there is no new spawning of the resource. As far as I can tell. At least Explorers are somewhat good or useful forever. The others? Not so much. At least the Ether (the big energy balls on the mountains are at least useful for the rest of the game as free energy). But the Alchemy thing? Bad. The era is to short and it just becomes annoying later on in the game.

It's kind of weird. There is another man with a hat on in the picture. I guess they are soldiers. Still weird, but I recall the first thing you learned in the army and navy was that as soon as you went indoors you took the hat off. That has not changed as far as I know, traditions and all. But it's a big nono to wear something on your head indoors. I put it down to artistic liberties. It looked cool to them or something, doesn't have to be analyzed or explained further then that. Civilians just doesn't know or understand such things.

The things I've mentioned aren't even the only things that should be improved - Diplomacy for instance is terrible in this game, with an AI so painfully obtuse and dickish it makes for worse interactions than Civ 6, and that game's bar for Dip is below sea level. Most meaningful interactions are locked behind sending an Envoy, but as it turns out, there's no point down that as the average difficulty AI will find ways to declare hostilities and hate you anyway. Envoys are much better spent on buying city states, which is also the cheapest and easiest way to get cities. won my first game on the highest difficulty as a peaceful builder. I picked 4 engineering national spirits and it's really strong. Mount builders is probably the strongest national spirit in the second age right now if you have enough grasslands. Vassals are really useless in the lategame. Raiders is good if you get boxed in by the AI in the early game and you cannot expand peacefully.
Diplomacy seems quite terrible. Later in the game I got spammed by notifications that AI's started wars all the time only to settle for peace a few turns later.

I believe those are emotional responses when you face a new system that you don't know yet very well :)

After having some time now with game, it seems that main factor to have happy diplomatic relations is to have a larger army. When your power rating is above AI's, you can have very fruitful and stable relationship, just don't forget to check from time to time if you still have enough diplomatic clout in terms of your army size. When you have established the power supremacy, you can have neutrality, send envoys and press more diplomatic buttons that will function.

If you offer a treaty and next turn the AI accepts, the yields from the treaty are shown, they are visible in the diplomatic screen with the checkmark and also in the tooltip of the respective yield, see my commercial treaty with Greece:

Spoiler :

If it indeed shows zero, maybe you've fell out, maybe they declared hostilities?

I imagine the somewhat erratic behavior of the AI results from when both power ratings are very close and fluctuate up and down, maybe something can be improved here, now it's only this 3 turn long cool-off period.

1) AI diplomacy and alliances seem to be a headache. Sure, you can use culture powers to secure a truce before an ally’s wars have much of an impact, but the threat of randomly being in a two-front war seems to render the benefits of an alliance moot.

2) I want to be able to help my vassals. After capturing a city, all improvements are razed, and it takes ages for the vassal to repair them.
Alliances are not to be signed lightly, as they're usually offered by a weaker party facing a much stronger third party.

As for helping the vassals, install a merchant there, he will help to max out the vassal prosperity, then you can eject him and move to another vassal needing help or to trade in a foreign city.

I don't know how the diplomacy actually works. It seems to mostly be about turning on and off the killing of units in neutral land. Have not been able to do much about it beyond that. I mainly use it now to quickly see what the AI picked and how much power and regions/cities they have.

As said above, the main diplomatic power is the size of your army, it seems. It is Realpolitik world out there, which I find pretty much realistic. If you don't carry a big enough stick, nobody will listen to your soft words. Press as many buttons as you want, you have nothing to back that up.

Declaring hostilities, signing open borders, alliances - all those actions are meaningful and you must think well to juggle them to your benefit.
AI seems to love send settling parties across your lands to settle in your backyard, so overly friendly neighbours should be looked at with suspicion, if you have some free land nearby. Closing borders and declaring hostilities are the tools to prevent this, if necessary.

AI interactions are very reminiscent of Civ III, probably the most brutal one. Like there, AIs will war each other until there's none other left. With alliances it may be possible to temper the appetites of an AI who threatens to grow beyond control, and join forces with a bit weaker AI to beat back the blobbing AI.

As for helping the vassals, install a merchant there, he will help to max out the vassal prosperity, then you can eject him and move to another vassal needing help or to trade in a foreign city.
I’ll have to try that. Come to think of it, the first game before that I had the national spirit that incrementally boosted prosperity, and it maxed out. They were repairing tiles left and right.

I finished my first full game yesterday, going into the age of departure 1 then before the lead AI, after using Aether and rocketry to catch up a full age on science. A few things I observed:

1) I played as Silicon Valley, which doubles computer production and buffs the knowledge from each, I found that since I could put all my knowledge workers into computer factories, and import rare earth minerals at 2 wealth each, there was no reason to convert computers into anything else. I’m curious to see if other age VIII spirits encourage using the full computer supply chain. Even though this offers a strong options for a knowledge comeback, it led very naturally into a Departure victory age, where production becomes the only important yield. This was nice in that what I did to catch up wasn’t enough to trivialize the endgame.

2) I found that having to pivot my entire nation toward production, using the power-intensive but tile-efficient titanium/plasteel line, created fun gameplay around taking 3-6 actions per turns as specialists came in (there seems to be little reason to go past 100/turn). Thinking my main rival was right on my heels created an exciting sense of urgency. Its unclear if the AI actually attempts the victory project, since it didn’t list their progress, and someone on Reddit said they looked and didn’t see the necessary improvement on the map (my game freezes if I view the map after victory, so didn’t confirm). But anytime the game creates urgency to balancing competing goals/needs, I find the economy mechanics engaging. Late game continues to create unique challenges, and it felt like a more compete endgame than in Civ or Humankind (the latter I don’t know that I ever played into endgame before getting bored or fed up with the breakdown in mechanics).

3) The AI has created some interesting warfare dynamics. The AI tends not to throw its units away attacking city/towns it can’t beat. In naturally fortified cities, I saw this lead to a stalled siege against a dying AI’s last city, where the AI wouldn’t cycle out its damaged front army as would be needed to let multiple armies attack from only one possible tile. However, in more ordinary circumstance with more open space, this put me at serious risk in a new game. After getting winnowed down in the field (due to insufficient wealth income to support enough leaders/units/upgrades), I pulled back and I had my rival (playing as warriors) park a strong army with a spartan and their all-units-stronger-on-defense perk inside my boarders. Rather than attack, they waited as additional armies marched in. This forced me to pick some tough fights, using scouts to lure their army out of fortification to prevent them from amassing a critically sized force.

4) The national spirits are more flavorful than I expected. Playing as naturalists->khan led to a minimal improvement game until I added an iron->spears chain. I felt the tension between the old and new, and that a new outsider leader used this to rally our nation and the surrounding peoples into a war of vengeful conquest. A large forest separated our empires, and having free movement and fast horse archers created a guerrilla experience as we routed their superior force while attacking out of range of reprisal. I suspect that if they just put some more human elements into the nations and their presentation that this could be made more coherent. And/or if a later DLC (or mod) added civ specific perks at each era or two for those who wanted them.

Top Bottom