First succession game:

If you still have space I'd like to join. Don't see a lot SGs for vanilla or PTW; in fact, see more for vanilla than PTW.

I jumped from Chieftain to Monarch and have one victory at Monarch. And since I started some SG's I have not had the time to play any solo games. Which is good; I think play better at SGs than solos because of the ten turn turnsets that force me to think and plan (and not just hit the space bar).

My SG's are at Monarch, Emperor and Diety, but none are complete.

You're in CommandoBob. And on that note, the roster has been filled. Sorry to anyone who felt they've missed out. But do watch this one!

Right then, down to business, I've rolled off some starts and am happy to do whatever really. However, if you can get a better one then I'd be more than happy to play that.

Glad to join! This should be wild; one Brit, two Yanks, one Aussie and one undeclared.

I am in time zone GMT -6.

Do we have any thoughts on how we want to win?

I didn't realise where everyone was in the world, tee hee. Ok, I think number 2 is a good one because it's next to fresh water and has food bonuses. Therefore the capital could churn out settlers rather quickly, and we wouldn't need an aqueduct. However, the luxury does have a big impact on the state of affairs. I think we should have a vote (between the players - sorry Carmen510, but I'm not including yours) I vote for start number 2. Seeing as there are 5 people playing, I will wait until there are 3 votes for one, or wait until everyone has cast their vote. (Votes can change)
If anyone wants to roll off their own starts that are better than any of the ones that I've done they are more than welcome - we'll just have to put it to the vote. ;)

I favour the first start, at monarch we shouldnt have any difficulty keeping up with other civs in expansion even without a food bonus, and start 1 is the only one which looks like we could get some decent RCP with, the others are all half-rings at best due to the coast. Also it was the first start rolled up and it 'feels' better to just take the first start given.
Start 2 is nice but a bit 'too much of a good start'. OTOH it might be fun if anyone in the team has never used a 4-turn settler factory before.
3 & 4 are good in that they have luxs available for the capital immediately but at Monarch we get 2 content faces (so with 2 warrior MP thats size 5 before u need to use the lux slider or hook up a lux) so the luxs are less important. Also with start 1 I suspect that there would be luxuries somewhere nearby and probably some food bonuses nearby as well.

Have you done up a roster?

This is the kind of knowledge that I was expecting to learn, you've just demonstrated what I've been reinforcing. Yay. My vote's been changed... [sarcasm]Didn't see that one coming[/sarcasm]. Could you explain about the 4 turn settler factory?

Thanks for the article Sima :)

In the example of start 2 we would irrigate 1 wheat, mine the other, and mine the 4bg's (road everything as well obviously). At size 4.5 (with a granary) we start the settler.
2bg's + irrigated wheat + mined wheat gives +5fpt so growth in 1 (if at 4.5), +6spt so settler in 5, at the start of the cycle.
1 turn later on growth we are +5fpt still but are now at +8spt with 6 shields in the box (so 24 to go)
2 turns later we grow to size 6 with 1 turn left on the settler. We get the 1 turn of growth (to take us to size 4.5 when the size drops) and we have just built a settler in 4 turns. Then just rinse and repeat.

Just a quick look at the start ups.

Save 1 Like tupaclives, I tend to take whatever start is given and begin from there. Since we are not England, boats are not our strength, so a coastal start is a waste. The extra commerce is nice but it does not make up for missing city sites. We have a good start place, fresh water is always nice, and two bonus grassland tiles help too. The river is running in three directions, so we have some prime real estate very close by. And three hills for lookouts. Plus, we are not that far north, so we can expand any direction we want.

Save 2 Hmm. Too many forests/jungles too close to our city; gotta spend early worker turns chopping wood and not making roads, building mines or playing with water. The lake/pond is nice but it only helps us and not the rest of our cities, unless that is another lake to the east. Three BG are good and the two wheats are not to be ignored And yet, somehow, I don’t like it. We have to expand northward to grow and meet people. I get the feeling that southwards will have more wet terrain, which will slow us down. This start reminds me of Britney Spears, just a pretty face with nothing to behind it.

Save 3 The Polar Express? Frigid Frenchies? Sniffling Snail Eaters? The fishing may be great in the river, but we are too far north and are forced to grow southwards. No thanks.

Save 4 The land mass is Pangea and we get a start on the coastline? And on a forest that gets wasted if we settle here? I would want to keep the forest to chop AND settle on the river, but that means two turns walking to get away from the coast. Also, judging from the mini-map, everything to the north is water, so again we are forced to grow southwards.

I vote for Save 1.

It lets us build and play with a settler factory to help us build. We will need some early defenders/explorers, since we will be in the middle of nowhere/everywhere.

Just a quick thoughts about how we want to win.

(As France, we are commercial and industrious. The Musketeer is our Secret Weapon.)

Earlier today I went to Google, typed in “French military victories” and, well, you can probably guess the rest.

I would like to refute the common perception that the only wars the French can win are when they fight the French.

I suggest that we, the glorious Frenchmen of Knickers, conquer the world! And then we can say,
“I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.”​

Start #2 is completely, absolutely, superior to Start #1 because of the complete ease of growth. I won't go through the individual statements, but Tupac and Bob's reasons for taking start #1 aren't great (I think it's just a pretty face with nothing to behind it, or Start 2 is nice but a bit too much of a good start.)

We have an excellent starting position in #2. From what we can see there, there is absolutely no reason to take start #1 over #2. Also, #1 is NOT a settler factory, like Bob says above. There's no food bonuses. It will be an abysmal factory.

So we have two votes for #1, and two for #2. Cody is tiebreaker.

Also, if we start #1, move worker south (2) and settle on spot if nothing important presents itself. If we start #2, mine worker and move settler east (5). The one time of 10 shields is no biggie, especially considering that it will take 5 turns to clear.

Some interesting points here... I've still not really grasped the concept of a settler factory, but I'm sure it will become clear as we get one set up and whatever. As for the roster I don't want to go first, if anything I'd like to be last. (I'd like to mention that the roster in the first post is in the order that we signed up to it, not the order we'll be playing in). Yeah, a conquest win sounds like a good idea, and doesn't that google french military victories search only work if you click I'm feeling lucky? Maybe I'm wrong.

Knickers said:
and doesn't that google french military victories search only work if you click I'm feeling lucky? Maybe I'm wrong.

lurker's comment: Using "I'm feeling lucky" google will take you to albinoblacksheep.com, which has a google mockup that says defeats

CommandoBob said:
Earlier today I went to Google, typed in “French military victories” and, well, you can probably guess the rest.

You got 4,200,000 search results and proceeded to google failure, which turns up the biography of George W Bush immediately?

If you don't understand the Settler Factory idea, read that article. In short, you need a city at size 4 or 5(with aqueduct/river/lake) that produces +5 food per turn, a decent amount of shields(I think +6), and a granary. If you have all these things, you can set your city to make a settler and it will produce a settler every 4 turns, the fastest possible in the early game.

Bah. Who goes? I figure we should settle on forest, move worker to the wheat that is in the borders, road/irrigate that, then road/mine the next wheat. Then road/mine nearby BGs. We should prebuild the granary with the Pyramids. Screw making warriors.

drakdan said:
CommandoBob said:
You got 4,200,000 search results and proceeded to google failure, which turns up the biography of George W Bush immediately?
I should have added that I hit "I Feel Lucky".

drakdan said:
but Tupac and Bob's reasons for taking start #1 aren't great (I think it's just a pretty face with nothing to behind it, or Start 2 is nice but a bit too much of a good start.)

Start too has nice growth but no river, hence no commerce bonus, starts on the coast, hence an incomplete ring, it also requires us to move (unless we want to waste a BG) whereas start 1 can settle on the spot. In addition start 1 has its main river headed in 3 directions, and if you look closer you can see the edge of another rive on the edge of the black. All that adds up to plenty of commerce, the lake in start 2 only benefits 1 city, a 3-direction river, and another river (dont no anything about that river though) adds up to a benefit for several cities.

Of course now that the votes have been cast the point is moot and I'm happy to play whichever start the team chooses.

Knickers could you please post a roster with the turn order?

Top Bottom