fix diplomacy patch?

Well hopefully firaxis reads my post because i'm offically done with this game :mad:

I just raged quit my civilization 5 aztec marathon game because my best friends randomly denouced me... THis says enough..

If they want to fix diplomacy it isn't going to happen in a few patches. They need to change their hole philosopy

Currently the AI is playing as a human player who wants to win.

For me it ruins the " civilization expeirence " because you can't create you're own playstile and play you're civilization how you want it to be.

In civilization 5 peacefull victories doens't exist it is just a multiplayer game where you beat eachother up and either win domination victory or science? or the other victories because larger is better.(puppets)

Well maybe firaxis fires everyone who was thought the Idea of making a Ai who plays to win for civilization franchise and get a new philosophy for civilization 6

This must be a troll.
Moderator Action: Please don't call anyone a troll.

I haven't played the other Civilization games, so I'll can't really comment. My only other experience with the series is Alpha Centauri and the AI in that game is even more aggressive than the Civ5 AI. :scan:

It's a matter of opinion I guess. I want AI civilizations that are competing to be the top nation in the world/or to win the game and some people just want to role play/build. I suppose it wouldn't hurt if they had different game modes, beyond making the builders play on low difficulty.

You were able to build proper long lasting alliances in civ 4 and yet the a.i put up a much better challenge than civ 5's a.i did on release. Whilst the a.i has been improved from what it was, diplomacy is still bad.

I don't think any one wants an a.i that is not going to challenge us, and i really don't see how having a.i act less ridiculous when it comes to diplomacy would effect this.

There is a lot of diplomacy issues I'd like to go away. I don't know whether Civ designers read civ forums, but still it's nice to participate in such a conversation :)

1. AI negotiating peace treaties ONLY takes into account vast army numbers. Doesn't take into account army composition, army positioning, casualities, cities lost, terrain features (which for example enable a human player to defend forever with no units). All this causes situation like I had multiple times - last remaining AI was down to last city with 0 health, but still had much larger army - refused to talk and sign a peace treaty. This isn't AI designed to get a victory. Furthermore immortal / deity AI's will 90% time outproduce human player causing neverending wars and making warmongoneric gameplay the only vialible option (and as the OP said there is multiplayer for that, people playing SP want something more/else). I've lost most of my interest in civ 5 after the last patch introduced these changes.

2. Double standards for AI diplomacy. For example you send your troops towards enemy. AI notices and asks if you want to declare war. You either say yes and loose the first turn surprise attack, which might cost you the game or you say no, declare war next turn anyway and get a permanent -2 with all leaders. Now try doing the same thing when you see AI's army approaching.
It's similar with spying, land stealing, CS stealing, religion spreading etc. The AI will do that no matter what you do, but when asked politely to stop (for land stealing and CS stealing human player doesn't even have this option) they get furios - why? They're the "bad guys" for starting a conflict in this situation, why does a human player suffer diplo hits for such a behaviour?
And it's even more frustrating with AI's settling their city right next to your border. For one it's annoying as hell, but I understand such behaviour as they "are designed to win", but now when I settle my other city close to my border (which now is also close to AI's border) the AI goes insane with anger. Again double standards.

3. Some minor issues, that are annoying, but not game breakers - I sign a DoF with one of the AI's, next couple of turns every other AI pops out and says "hey I'm friends with them too" - completely unnecessary, makes the game longer for no reason and combined with already long waiting times is realy annoying (there are multiple notifications like that).
AI asking for a deal you said no to a couple of turns in a row. Happens mostly with open borders. I declined, cause I don't want to do it. What is the point of asking the same thing next turn?

4. AI's getting angry on human player for basically every aspect of the game, but for example when you pay some other AI to attack your friend he acts like he doesn't care (game doesn't have a build in system te recognize such a behaviour). And this is actually an action, that should lead to massive rage outbrakes - you could only imagine what would happen in real life in such a situation. (And please don't write things like this AI doesn't know, that you paid the other AI - the AI has knowledge of everything you do, it just that this behaviour hasn't been programmed into and is abused by human player :)

That's that for now. I feel like I've just finished a session with a therapist :)

On the double standards thing. Obviously they aren't going to program what your opinion of other players is because that's your decision. I don't know about you, but if a civilization settles a city right next to my capital, they certainly get a "diplo hit". As in... I'm going to do everything I can to get you to DoW me and I'm taking everything from you I can until you don't exist any more.
Although it would make sense if they made up their mind on who is supposed to get pissed when a request (like "don't settle near me") gets denied. If Korea asks me (Japan) not to settle near them, I can say okay (promise and potential diplo hit later) or no (diplo hit now). If I ask them not to settle near me they just get pissed.

Maybe the diplo hits are to keep the Human player from manipulating the AI too much as that is one of the major advantages (along with combat) that the human has.

Top Bottom