[FIXED] incompatible saves between Deluxe Babylon and normal version

Godking

Chieftain
Over at WPC, our plan was to start the first community game (for those civ veterans, think single player demo game), in the next couple of days. Unfortunately, it appears that we encountered a rather significant issue, and I am checking over here to see if anybody else has encountered it yet.

Basically, if you have a save that was made by a person who purchased the game from steam with the babalonian civ, ONLY other people who have that special purchase can open the saves. Even if the game was started by another player who doesn't have the babs, once the person who has that game opens and saves it, it can not go back.

From the testing we have done, this is a compatability issue with the saves being made a different way by those who have the babs.

Thanks for the confirmation. I suspect we now understand why Firaxis didn't include a PBEM multi-player component with the release. Hopefully, they fix this soon.

I personally blame Trip, but that is his job - to take the blame. :D

Anyways, if anybody hears anything, please post. Thanks again.

At least in the case that I cited, I'm 90% certain that the game was initially created by a player without Babylon (the game creator owns a boxed copy, not a pure digital download version). It's literally impossible for Babylon to be in the game.

As shown (and tested) in this succesion Game savefiles from the special version (+babylon) can't be opened with the standard game aöthough the original save was created with the standard game (so no Babylonians were in game).
This does divide the community for succession games and does not bode well for the expected DLC.

Moderator Action: Thread merged in and moved to the confirmed bugs section.

I don't have Civ5 so i can't test it, but i'm sure someone else will confirm that the save does not work. And i'm sure, that reports from 3 different people can't fail.

I can also confirm that our game cannot possibly have babylon content, as it was started by a "regular" edition owner.

Also note that, according to further testing in this thread, opening a save in a deluxe version and then immediately re-saving (no ingame actions taken) is sufficient to block the save from being opened by a normal version.

Gyathaar did a fan-fix for this, available here

This fix is a perl script that strips the incompatible pieces out of the save... which is entries for the babylonian UU and UB

to use the script you need to install perl on your computer, and then run:
perl convert_deluxe_standard.pl path_and_filename_of_your_savegame.Civ5Save

the script will then create a new save in the same folder as the original save with a "_converted" added to the filename

Thanks Gyathaar!

OK, never having used Perl, anybody able to tell me what I need to do?

I added perl to the comp, but there is nothing that looks like a DOS prompt, which is what I was expecting.

Top Bottom