FIXED_GEM_ preset_No_Custom_Civs

Fermongu

Warlord
I like this map a lot, but one thing I didn't like was the great amount of resources, it felt like cheating having cities with resources in all her tiles.

So I decided to go into WorldBuilder and reduce them. But then I decided to tweak here and there, balance resources a bit more, put in unused terrains (principally sea) and more.

This is a list of changes I've made:

- Reduced density of resources overall. Mostly on saturated areas (Europe, India, China, Middle East, Egypt). I think there still are too much resources, but the difference should be very noticeably.
- Placed resources in empty areas (Argentina, Oceania, euroasiatic steppe). Now there's more balance in resource density all over the map.
- Moved and tweaked some resources around (example: lots of mining resources moved from plain and grasslands to nearby hills, but not all)
- Added missing resources (Elephants, Parrots, Manganese, Turquoise, Fine clay, Guavas) in appropiate regions (mostly), removed Ivory and Common clay (they're not map resources).
- Added missing Natural Wonders (Auyantepuy in Venezuela, Kilimanjaro in Kenya, Aurora boreal) and moved Shark Bay to a Coast tile (Australia).
- Added Sea tiles surrounding coast. More sea tiles in Oceania.
- Removed starting Storms.
- Revised kelp and coral: reduced in areas full of them, placed some in empty areas. Made them coastal features (removed from sea tiles). Removed from tiles with an existing Bonus resource.
- Give small lakes the "Lake shore" terrain.
- Replaced Rocky terrain in Australia with scrubs.
- Namibian desert surrounded by badlands now instead of rocky.
- Tibet has Rocky terrain now instead of Plains.
- Base terrain of Peaks modified for better terrain blending (though hardly noticeable).
- Added some Permafrost terrain at high latitudes.
- Extreme of South America replaced with Taiga terrain (and some more forests).
- Tropical ocean more limited to Tropical regions.
- Whales moved to Sea tiles (save Gibraltar and Red Sea).
- Tweaked oasis placement a bit.
- Some small tweaks to the map (retouching Iberian peninsule and Canary Islands, removed land bridge between India and Ceilan, Sea bridges in Oceania between isles, placed caves in Spain and France).
- Replaced totally misplaced Holy Roman Empire with Aboriginal in empty Australia.
- Replaced Congolese with Ethiopia.
- Removed "duplicated" civs: Scythia, Cantonese, Cholan, Apache.

- Tupi civ based now on existing custom Tupi civ (it was Inca-based).
- Native americans, Vikings and Zulues starting points altered a bit.
- Updated internal description (for V40.1) and changed map name to a less confusing one.
- Tweaked default game speed and game options. Play map as custom scenario if you want to choose different game options.
- Lastly, I looked on Civilopedia the requeriments for constructing all the cultures in game, and placed resources where needed so hopefully all cultures should be possible to build in appropiate regions. Some asiatic cultures from the interior needs a "Coast" nearby, and I'm not sure if the changed "Lake shore" will still count as a "coast" tile for meeting the requeriments, playtesting needed.

- Optional: to fix Carthaginian and Ottoman flags, some minor tweaks needed in the mod.

- BONUS! If you want to experience a more advanced era, or just want to test things, I have uploaded a save of my ongoing campaign, playing as Siam, very near to Medieval era.

- RECOMMENDED: if you want more realistic animal spawning, use attached CIV4Spawninfos.xml (copy file inside folder "...\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\XML\Units"). Only use this file for this map, conserve the original file for normal mod gameplay. Max density of animals is reduced too. Less crowding of animals but still plenty to hunt.

- FOR YOUR INFORMATION: when you get to medieval era (or even classical) turn times will be very long (2+ minutes), and gameplay (lots of cities and units to manage) will also be very slow. For these reasons, this map will probably not be considered by many as "playable" after reaching such stage.

Map is cleaned and loads well on latest SVN

I did this for enjoyment and a (hopefully) more balanced gameplay with this map. I want to give credit to Acularius (original creator of the map) and Harrier (ported it to C2C).

Attachments

• Flag fix.rar
    4.5 KB · Views: 324
  • GEM_27civs.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    1.8 MB · Views: 270
  • CIV4SpawnInfos.xml
    237 KB · Views: 199
  • Ramkhamhaeng June 14, AD-0816.CivBeyondSwordSave
    10.4 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Sounds like we should replace the current one with this one.
A clear cut improvement of the map.

I haven't tested either.
What do others think?

We've had many players wanting a GEM playable map for sometime now.

Thank you! :)

Ivory is a manufactured resource in C2C. It should be replaced by elephants on map.

Sounds like we should replace the current one with this one.
A clear cut improvement of the map.

I haven't tested either.
What do others think?

I agree 100%.

If I remember correctly - the Fixed_Gem was a modification I made (by request) to the then current GEM version, with Notepad. So that it loaded in the then version of C2C, but I could not test it (my system would not load it). I could only edit WB files via Notepad.

I think Faustmouse (I may be wrong) checked it out and then loaded it to the SVN.

So it is a very old version - which needs updating.

Last edited:
It would be safe to include it right before v38 release, no big issues in replacing an old outdated map with an improved one, it won't introduce more issues than it solves.
@strategyonly: I know wer'e getting ready for release, I'm wondering if it would be ok to add this map to the SVN right after your next commit and before we release v38..

Ivory removed and a few more elephants placed instead. Helped Scythia starting location just a bit.

- More resource tweaking.
- Placed caves in Spain and France.
- Placed Aurora.
- Base terrain of Peaks altered to better terrain blending (almost all peaks had a Taiga base terrain :nono:). This is not very noticeable anyway.
- Some more terrain changes (rocky in Tibet for example).
- More tweaks on Iberian Peninsule.
- Given a working flag to "Apache" civ.
- Tupi civilization now is based on existing custom Tupi civ, it was previously based on Inca civ.
- Corrected color to Congolese flag.

- Optional: fixed incorrect Carthaginian and Ottoman flags, but it needs minor file tweaking in the mod.

- More resource tweaking.
- Base terrain of Peaks altered to better terrain blending (almost all peaks had a Taiga base terrain :nono:). This is not very noticeable anyway.

A side note:

Peaks have a 75% defense bonus. So on my maps (SEM+ and LEM), I made all Peaks have a base terrain ICE., This gave a -15% terrain damage for players who used this option.

- Tupi civilization now is based on existing custom Tupi civ, it was previously based on Inca civ.

There were about 6 Civs that used other Civs as the base. Unfortunately I no longer have those details on my system. You may find a list by searching GEM threads on this site, if you have not already found them all.

Last edited:
Updated 1st post with a custom file for more correct animal spawning (no more giraffes in australia XD). I didn't touch sea animals, maybe in the future. Enjoy :)

What is differance between no custom civs and modified? I noticed leaders not having traits. does that mean developing leaders? (=

Yes, developing leaders is On by defect. You can play it with Custom Scenarios and choose whatever options you prefer.

Hi,
I recently started a game with this map on version 38.5 and I have an issue : no religion is founded. No Druidism, no Shamanism,... I think I discovered the tech Tengriism first, but nothing happened (no religion and no prophet).
Does anyone have the same problem? How could I fix this (without restarting the game if possible..)

@JohnnyCamel: do you have the Divine Prophet option on? Sometimes the AI gets a Great Prophet from researching the religious tech but uses the Great Prophet on something else. I play with Tech diffusion on and sometimes notice a beaker bonus on the religious tech even though the religion has not been founded yet.

May this be a bug with some options or combination? I advanced in this map until half classical era and still no religions found too (divine prophets + limited religions).

May this be a bug with some options or combination? I advanced in this map until half classical era and still no religions found too (divine prophets + limited religions).
That combination will have the AI holding off until it can initiate it's 'favorite' religion. Since they can only ever initiate one religion, they care only about that one unless it's already been founded. So you very well can go quite a ways into the game without seeing any religions founded.

That combination will have the AI holding off until it can initiate it's 'favorite' religion. Since they can only ever initiate one religion, they care only about that one unless it's already been founded. So you very well can go quite a ways into the game without seeing any religions founded.

Except that that is illogical behavior by the current game rules. When an AI's favorite religion is founded by anyone anywhere in the world, the religion automatically spreads to him, too. So no need to keep a Great Prophet on standby for that.

Top Bottom