Floating weapons, bone proportions etc.

Jaegerguy

Chieftain
Hello!

I've been working on a female model based on the female Great Musician. I can only make very simple meshes from scratch, but copying parts from existing models and stiching them together usually works fine. However, I get a floating weapon when I preview the animations, probably because of bone proportions and such, as the musician model has shorter and less bulky limbs than the Pikeman. I've been trying to minimise the amount of floating, but I wanted to ask if there is any smart way to make the weapon properly attach to the hands.

I know there is a lot that can go wrong, firstly because I made a naginata which I want to be used with two hands, so I use the Pikeman animations, but the weapon is shorter than the pike. I don't know exactly how to set the bones, and it doesn't help that different units have differently placed weapons in the unanimated meshes, some have the weapon floating next to the dude, some have it attached to one or the other hand etc.

So, is it even possible to have a unit with proportionally smaller arms without floating weapons? Is there any smarter way than trial and error? I don't know how to do or edit the animations

EDIT: ARGH wrong board, I was going to post in the general modding one. Could someone move this? Thank you

Last edited:

I think I managed to solve most of the problem, that always seems to happen on it's own when I post here and wait for replies :lol:

I just stretched the arms of the model (and I don't think her arms look like those of a monkey quite yet) and replaced the weapon with the standard pike. Firstly, I think I had upscaled the model along the z-axis in some phase to make her taller, which left the arms shorter than the rest of the body. I also assume that the original shortening the shaft of the weapon actually caused unforeseen problems in the animation side, and I think I can settle for a longer naginata. I guess it's ok to have a thread about this in case someone has a similar problem some time in the future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom