Florence: The Rise of a City-State

Midnight-Blue766

The filidh that cam frae Skye
I've been playing some games recently, and I have noticed that in many games, I tend to develop my capital city only while neglecting my other cities. Thus, I concluded that I probably would be better off trying a One-city challenge for once. The version of CIV that I am playing is a modded version of Beyond the Sword, which features Revolution DCM, the Next War, and more than two dozen new civilizations. I myself am playing as Medici of Italy (Chm/Cre). The Italian UU is the Cavalry-replacing Carabinier, while the UB is the Palazzo, which replaces the Castle and gives +25% :culture:. There are only 4 opponents to begin with (though that will be remedied with the BarbarianCiv option), and Raging Barbarians, New Random Seed on Reload, and Limited Religions options on.

And thus, be begin!

bcAlthough one nowadays might wonder why the people of Florence never expanded beyond their city limits, one must take into account that the geography of ancient Tuscany was limited to a small clearing in the Great Forest that left little room for expansion. Besides, the city of Florence was built on very suitable land: there were deposits of precious jewels to the southeast, hills to the north and south and a wide grassland surrounding the immediate boundaries: the ancient Tuscans probably saw little reason to leave this paradise.

The earliest technological development in Florence was the working of Bronze from the limited deposits in the hills: because of its rarity, very little tools were developed from them, with the metal only being a luxury belonging to the Patricians. This marked a beginning between the have and have-nots, eventually leading to slavery:

In 3100 BCE, the earliest farms began to be built by early teams of servi.

Later on in 2620 BCE, the earliest flint arrowheads began to be used by warriors:

Finally, in 2480 BCE, Florentine warriors made contact with the Quechas of the Incan Empire, ending their period of isolation.

However, less friendly contact came in the form of hostile Gothic warbands, who destroyed what little infrastructure that existed in the north of the city. Only when the Goths attacked Florence itself did they fall to the flint arrows of the city garrison.

Eventually, in 880 BCE, the Patriarch of Florence (Lucius Curis Caelestis) ordered the construction of a great Oracle to the gods, headed by the Sybil, a priestess that could foretell the future. Presumably, the Oracle would have been a magnificent site, had Patriarch Tiberius not ordered the burning of the site for unknown reasons in 560
BCE. Coincidentally, later writers reported that a similar project in the city of Londinium was completed the year that Tiberius torched the Florentine Oracle. This coincidence has sparked the interest of many writers and historians to this day.

In 160 BCE, Incan traders showed the Florentines how to smelt Iron from what little ores existed in the hills. Although it was not of sufficient quality so that weapons could be made, the most important development of this period were the new iron axes that could cut down the formerly impenatrable jungle.

In 1 CE, Florentine scouts would eventually discover the Quebecois, who lived on the far side of Mu. Later expeditions would discover the Norwegians, who conquered their capital of La Ville de Quebec in centuries previous.

This looks great so far! Subbed

Subbed. The start was great.

I am liking the unusual civs.

Okay, it looks like this may not be the best starting location, so I'll have to restart the game. I'll change it once I am satisfied with my location.

The earliest vestiges of the city of Florence can be traced back to the year 4000 BCE, when early Tuscan tribes settled in the region.

The early tribes soon mastered how to work with brick and mortar, enabling larger buildings to be constructed than the size allowed by old mud brick dating to this period. The knowlege of agriculture, mastered on the banks of the Arno River, was one of the most important developments of early Florentine history. This knowlege was soon to be deployed in the construction of an early farm, thus helping the population growth of Florence.

The isolation of Florence soon came to an end, though. In 3400 BCE, the earliest contact with the Bohemians in western Mu.

Later, in 1720 BCE, Maliese scouts made contact with Florence.

The most important military development of this era, though, was the great Hadrian's Wall. Constructed (as the name suggests) by the Patriarch Hadrian, the Wall stretched for thousands of kilometres in the Tuscan countryside. The purpose of the wall was to keep out the Gothic and Lombard raiders that terrorised the Tuscan countryside during this period.

Not anymore.

I would have settled 1se if I were you. Gold=good.

Great update.

I'd have gone 1N and settled a second city SW of the gold, but that's just me.

well... it's an occ, so that isn't entirely possible :p

I would have gone 1S to... @Farsight: why did you settle there?

Oh, it's an OCC :crazyeye:

I probably should have picked up on that, sine I also have an OCC story with 'city-state' in the title :lol:

I agree, I personally would have gone 1S too, the river helps mitigate the jungles a bit.

jungles? what jungles? do you mean floodplains?

I didn't take that into consideration... I just saw the ton of resources that would be in the BFC ;p

Top Bottom