For King(Queen) and Country?

Jes Stone

Chieftain
To start, I am not a modder.

I've seen many mods and used some, but I was wondering, as an RPG player mainly, is it possible to create a King's (Queen's) Avatar (not the anime or the web novel) within the game, as part of the mechanics?

Let's say, for example, I am playing as Oda of Japan and as the game starts there is a unit named "Chief Oda" who's a bit powerful than a warrior (on Ancient Era) and can attack as a military unit mainly. This unit may also have a passive buff to any adjacent units up until 2 tiles (like a general).

This unit changes in every era, as well:

Ancient Era: Chief Oda
Classical Era: Warlord Oda
Medieval Era: King Oda
Renaissance Era: Emperor Oda
Industrial, Modern, Future, Atomic, Information Era: President Oda

Strenght-wise, it also scales with the era.

Although this unit may act as a boost to the civilization and the army, it has a weakness. If the unit is killed in battle the player can't produce within the cities and can't move any unit for 2 rounds. Meaning, that the whole civilization is on pause for 2 rounds.

Reincarnation happens after the third round and the unit is automatically produced in the capital city, again.

I am writing this to share my thoughts on how this mechanic can make Civ V more like a game of chess and RPG both at the same time. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I don't know about 5, but there's definitely mods for Civ4 which do something like what you describe. IIRC there's some civs in Fall From Heaven II (a very popular fantasy mod) that have their leader represented as a very powerful unit on the ground, with the downside that when they die your civilization loses its unique ability.

Top Bottom