Foreign Mods Don't Work

darthdodo

Chieftain
What I mean by "foreign" is mods that don't include in the game. "Rhyes & Fall" would be considered a "domestic mod".

I've downloaded several mods (from this website) all of which give me the same error message:

Failed to read worldbuilder file "c:/program files/firaxis games/sid meir's civilization 4/beyond the sword/mods/(mod name here)/private maps/(mod name here)civs.civbeyondswordwbsave"

Now I do exactly like the read-me files say. I unzip the files, then move the whole mod folder, in this case "Earth 40 Civs" to c:/program files/firaxis games/sid meir's civilization 4/beyond the sword/mods/

It gave the the above error message, so I then tried going into the Earth 40 Civs folder, copying the Private Maps out of it and placing it in *c:/program files/firaxis games/sid meir's civilization 4/beyond the sword/private maps* and playing it like that, but the same problem occurred.

You're loading them as a mod right? Not a WB file? Weird!

I went to Advanced Mod and loaded it as a mod. When I did that it showed an error message saying "Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword has run into an unknown error and must close" or something along those lines. It asks me if I would like to send an error message or not. Typical Windows error message.

Hmmm. Are you patched to 3.17?
Something that happens to me on my Vista machine is that a mod will start with no interface. You have to run as an administrator sometimes to get the mod to work. You might be using XP, and if you are, then that doesn't apply.
Something else: I have the best success when I unzip the mod directly into the C:\Program...\mods folder. Sometimes if you unzip elsewhere and paste the mod in, some files don't make it to the right spots. "CVcoredll" (or whatever it's really called.) is famous for this. If Civ is loading the wrong one, your mod won't load.

My advice is to pick a single mod like Wolfshanze or Varietas Delectat, install it carefully, and try to make it work. If it won't, go to the Creation and Customization threads (Modpacks subforum) and check for help there. Most mods have a subforum, and there are lots of people there who can give specific help. And remember, the more info you can give, the easier it is to help.

Happy Civving.
-LM

Hmmm. Are you patched to 3.17?
Something that happens to me on my Vista machine is that a mod will start with no interface. You have to run as an administrator sometimes to get the mod to work. You might be using XP, and if you are, then that doesn't apply.
Something else: I have the best success when I unzip the mod directly into the C:\Program...\mods folder. Sometimes if you unzip elsewhere and paste the mod in, some files don't make it to the right spots. "CVcoredll" (or whatever it's really called.) is famous for this. If Civ is loading the wrong one, your mod won't load.

My advice is to pick a single mod like Wolfshanze or Varietas Delectat, install it carefully, and try to make it work. If it won't, go to the Creation and Customization threads (Modpacks subforum) and check for help there. Most mods have a subforum, and there are lots of people there who can give specific help. And remember, the more info you can give, the easier it is to help.

Happy Civving.
-LM

I do have an XP. And yes, I did unzip it elsewhere and copy it to the mods folder. I'll try that. Thanks. :)

Top Bottom