FORTS in BtS... Everything there is to know

Very helpful article--thanks! I dimly recall reading somewhere that you can get a 3-tile-wide canal with fort-city-fort. Have you checked that?

Very helpful article--thanks! I dimly recall reading somewhere that you can get a 3-tile-wide canal with fort-city-fort. Have you checked that?

Yes I covered that.

By far the easiest way to remember the rule is that forts can act as canals only if they are touching a water tile, exactly the same as cities.

So even inland cities touching only a lake can also serve as part of a fort canal chain.

I've built a line of forts 8 wide across the southern end of my continent when it was blocked by ice flows. Submarines could get through and my workers had nothing better to do so I built this "Sothern Passage". Each fort had to be either next to water or next to ice (which counts as water for this purpose) and also needs to be inside your own culture for the ships to pass. This was quite useful, in that game, for shifting ships from one side of my continent to the other, and massing my fleets, rather than a long trip around the other continent as mine was blocked at the northern and southern ends.

I've built a line of forts 8 wide across the southern end of my continent when it was blocked by ice flows. Submarines could get through and my workers had nothing better to do so I built this "Sothern Passage". Each fort had to be either next to water or next to ice (which counts as water for this purpose) and also needs to be inside your own culture for the ships to pass. This was quite useful, in that game, for shifting ships from one side of my continent to the other, and massing my fleets, rather than a long trip around the other continent as mine was blocked at the northern and southern ends.

Great tip... Thanks! I'll add it to in a moment.

Yeah forts do come in handy when you have bored workers on a cold map (in this case I added the forts via worldbuilder after I finished the game).

Note that it will only work if all forts involved are in your cultural borders, or a vassal's cultural borders.

Spoiler :

Or just plain amusing:

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0066b.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0066b.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 4,863
  • Civ4ScreenShot0067b.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0067b.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 2,913
lol Tephtros you really should censor your picks before posting.

In the first screenshot, finally you can put that galley out of its misery. :)

lol Tephtros you really should censor your picks before posting.

In the first screenshot, finally you can put that galley out of its misery. :)

Oh yeah I didn't even think of that. I'll fix it.

"lol Tephtros you really should censor your picks before posting."

Now I'm getting curious... :)

Good thread, I didn't know about the ice tricks or about the trade route with fort in neutral territory. I'm dutch so I love building canals :)

I have a question, if you don't have calendar yet, can you use a fort to hook up a calendar resource? This would be VERY useful

I have a question, if you don't have calendar yet, can you use a fort to hook up a calendar resource? This would be VERY useful

No. :(For forts to connect resources you still need the tech that normally enables you to connect the resource.

But if you build forts on all the tiles where you could later build plantations, the resources will be connected as soon as you get the tech, and your workers can build the plantations over the top of them where needed.

Forts are actually very much, much, much more improved since that God-awful vanilla release. However, some of their best features seems obviously non-intentional. Typical...

Forts are actually very much, much, much more improved since that God-awful vanilla release. However, some of their best features seems obviously non-intentional. Typical...

Hmm what do you mean non-intentional? Are you talking about stringing forts together? I consider most of the features in the list to be obviously intentional. :confused:

Nice article.

Not sure if it has been mentionned, but forts can't be built on oasis as NO improvement (besides roads and railroads) can be built on oasis...

Great article! :goodjob:

I consider most of the features in the list to be obviously intentional.

I really don't think it was intended to allow the chaining of an infinite road through a continent. The ICE issue, is more of an exploit. One that it seems they did not think about in advance.

If you have a continent where every single square is next to a water tile, why not? ;)

I really don't think it was intended to allow the chaining of an infinite road through a continent. The ICE issue, is more of an exploit. One that it seems they did not think about in advance.

Even if that is one of the exploit-like features of forts, I don't think that is alone "some of the best features of forts". What else did you think was not intentional about forts?
Chaining forts alongside ice yes, but that is one thing. Most of the things in the list, which are great features of forts are clearly intentional - airbases, missile bases, defense bonuses, healing bonus, protection from flanking (due to being classified as a citytile), loading ships etc.

You consider it exploitative to have tundra cities that touch the ice with culture just to do this :confused::confused:?

On some maps that is literally the only way to connect 2 oceans, but its advantage otherwise is hardly overwhelming. Probably the real draw for me with forts most of the time is the typical 2 across channels or an air/tac nuke base. I don't use them defensively much since it's hard to bait the AI to attack them instead of just going around, and frequently better to just siege smack it anyway.

Top Bottom