fountain of youth - SUPER IMBALANCED!

Wow, I was rather surprised to read all the hate about such a minor and extremely uncommon feature. But since I haven't been with Civ since it's inception, I guess I don't understand the impact it made on the "realism."

I for one am really happy it's there. I don't play games to emulate real life. Real life is boring enough as it is. The first time I found FOY (which was after about 20 games), I thought it was a really cool idea. :D

Spain UA doubling the happiness is a tad overkill though...

I agree. It so rarely pops up in each game that it hardly makes an impact on the game and civ experience as a whole. (Besides, Fountain of youth was an important part of ancient lore in many different cultures so to give it a shoutout once every one hundred games is not such a terrible thing. So what if it doesn't exist? George Washington making a declaration of friendship with Montezuma never existed either. For such an uncommon feature - one I happen to love - there is more hype than there ever should have been)

Welcome, Kurufinve87! haha, congrats of the thread ressurection.

Yeah FoY is extremely rare. That's part of the fun.

TY ;)
I play civ V for some time, lets say a year or so, and in all my games i found it like 3 times. Every time it was in such a late stage of the game that my units rly didn't need that promotion (i am not into 10 :c5happy: ).
And i wonted to see how it would be to play from start with that double hp heal (ok i know i could take Persia and see it but i wona take some other civ and try it ;) )
So if some1 mby have some good map with FoY close to capitol post it pls, any civ with some good uu will do the job :devil: . (who don't like to experiment a little ;) )
TY!

PS: Deity, Pangaea, Standard, Standard is my weapon of choice :goodjob:

I see the logic in saying the natural wonder bonuses be eliminated especially the made up ones . But it adds a fun bonus to the game . We luv the realism of Civ and thats why we play . A chance to lead your own nation to greatness ha ha . To liberate those poor citizens of other nations from bad rulers ha ha . But certain things are added just for fun without being to outragous I would think . Plus in real life sometimes whether you believe in divine fate or simple luck you just fall upon a great advantage . However that edge is not all too victory . Must more has to be done

If every "overpowered" trait of Civ V was taken away, then every single civ would be the same and every game would play out the same way. Yes finding the FOY is a big advantage...but so is founding a city with a whole bunch of food nearby. FOY is extremely rare and it is special when it spawns.

I have only ever seen it twice, once recently in a game as the Egyptians. Maria Theresa had it in her borders. Rather than get all pissy because it was so unfair that Maria Theresa had so much happiness, I sent my army over and took the city from her. It gave me a big boost in happiness which I was able to utilize in the game. I found the whole thing fun. It was worth trudging my army across the map to take that city. I made lots of enemies by doing so and the game was very dynamic. I don't see a problem with that.

I've been playing this game since Oct 2010, and I play Civ a TON (well over 200 games). I have seen the Fountain of Youth exactly once, sometime around Sprint 2011.

This makes me sad.

I have, however, seen El Dorado about a dozen times, although not in a few months.

In over 600 hours go gameplay I have NEVER seen the FoY, and only seen Eldorado once (mind you, I was playing as Spain, and it was just 5 tiles from my capital) :lol:

Well you don't always find it so don't worry about it!
If it pains you, just don't build a city next to it.

It's an easter egg! It's really rare and supposed to be fun. I think it adds a little extra spice to the game.

Incidentally, in multiplayer it provides a significant target. And one that would leave an empire crippled if it was taken from them, mid game at least.

Here it is one :king: GL and HF with it :cool:
In spoiler it location of FoY, so who wont can see it but it's close like mby 25 tiles from start point.

Spoiler :
FoY is at South West from your start location

Cheers!

PS: OFC if some1 have some more PLS post it ;)

Attachments

• Alexander_0000 FoY .Civ5Save
    616.2 KB · Views: 47
Got the Fountain of Youth for the first time in my latest game. I dunno if it was the Patch, but it`s made almost no difference to my game except add a few smilies. I`m beginning to think that the Devs made the Fountain of Youth to be what magic was in the medieval ages- just a placebo. It don`t really do anything except in people`s minds which would not be a bad thing.

Also wasn`t The Fountain of Youth believed to be real in the old days? If that`s the case, it wouldn`t be so far from reality for people to find a fountain and `think` it`s the FOY even if it does nothing.

Got the Fountain of Youth for the first time in my latest game. I dunno if it was the Patch, but it`s made almost no difference to my game except add a few smilies. I`m beginning to think that the Devs made the Fountain of Youth to be what magic was in the medieval ages- just a placebo. It don`t really do anything except in people`s minds which would not be a bad thing.

Also wasn`t The Fountain of Youth believed to be real in the old days? If that`s the case, it wouldn`t be so far from reality for people to find a fountain and `think` it`s the FOY even if it does nothing.

10 happiness is incredible, especially early on. It's basically 2/3 easy cities if you find it from the off. Double heal rate means you basically have an indestructible army.

10 happiness is incredible, especially early on. It's basically 2/3 easy cities if you find it from the off. Double heal rate means you basically have an indestructible army.

Yes...I've had the FOY in my second city while playing as Spain...and I found it first, as well.

It is great in the early part of the game...it takes away a lot of pressure. You can get your cities out fast and get off to a ...well...it essentially "guarantees" your game..playing as Spain anyway. The extra healing is great by itself....I would run all my new units past it to get the lifetime healing bonus.

But I guess, though, you have to decide if you want an easy game or not...;)

And, of course, it is just luck that it will even be in the game...it's hardly ever there...and even if it's in the game, whether it will be close enough to be useful in the early part of the game.

Is anyone aware of a "frequency" chart or whatever that would detail the probability of a natural wonder appearing in a particular game?

I still haven't had a game where I found fountain of youth. May have been there in some of the games where I didn't explore the whole map, but haven't seen it. Only seen El Dorado once.

To be fair, the chance of those things appearing early and being useful to you in a game is probably similar to the chance of other circumstances beyond your control making your game really easy, especially if you count AI-related ones.

Top Bottom