Fox-40: Island Immortality (OCC-AW)

I've got it for tomorrow then. Seems like a build-up and fortification round to me.

MGs aren't that good vs mounted , especially because someone :rolleyes: decided that they could only have Drill as first promo......

We've got rifles though which are +50% vs mounted. Zara will be able to out-tech and massively out-produce us, if we leave him too long he'll be unassailable I would imagine.

lurker's comment:
Well ... Rifles are +25% vs. Mounted, so the MG may be the first defender anyway. More likely than not while on defensive terrain.

Can you still build Grens? I had mentioned this earlier in the thread, but Grens can take a lot of useful promotions and then be upgraded to MGs to work around the bizarre promotion restrictions for MGs. I don't think Grens actually go obsolete until Assembly Line.

Unfortunately MGs are pretty much required for your invasion stacks to survive any encounter with the AI SODs. The era-independent siege damage means large stacks of outdated troops will prevail, given enough sacrificial Cats/Trebs. (When your last SOD disappeared you also gained enough GG points to indicate ~25 enemy troops died as well.) MGs put a stop to that nonsense and should at least buy you time until someone shows up with Cavalry hordes.

Do you even have Military Science? Two or three Ships-of-the-Line and a couple of Airships should keep you safe from Frigate-covered invasion stacks. Once an AI researches Combustion ... it's turtle time.

lurker's comment:
... until someone shows up with Cavalry hordes.
lurker's comment:

All of the AIs have Nationalism already (with the exception of Genghis), so it's a fair bet that some of them have Military Tradition as well. Unfortunately, you can't see who, as our intrepid French don't have Nationalism themselves.

Zara, Mao and Justinian all have Rifling already.

Taken together, I'd say you can expect to encounter cavalry sooner rather than later. Beware of the trampling hooves!

Apart from scouting with zee airship, you might also want to consider landing your rifles and machine guns only at first, and leaving the cannon on board of the vessels. Absorb the damage from the inevitable stack of counterattack doom, and only then bring the cannon on shore. A minor detail: the initial landing party has to survive for all of this to be of any use...

Oh, and a question: does Civ crash for anyone else when trying to open the turn log? Somebody using an older version of BUG, by any chance?

Lekdevil.NL said:
Apart from scouting with zee airship, you might also want to consider landing your rifles and machine guns only at first, and leaving the cannon on board of the vessels. Absorb the damage from the inevitable stack of counterattack doom, and only then bring the cannon on shore. A minor detail: the initial landing party has to survive for all of this to be of any use...
I doubt that would be much use since cannons can't attack amphibiously, it takes 1 turn to land and our SOD would have to wait one more turn on the enemy soil. I'd try to avoid that.

Oh, and a question: does Civ crash for anyone else when trying to open the turn log? Somebody using an older version of BUG, by any chance?
It must crash for everyone if it does for you. If the save is infected (which seems the case) playing a single turn with the simcutie file is enought to screw it. That isn't exactly BUG related as it hasn't been included in several releases but if the old version hasn't been deinstalled properly the evil simcutie file survives and destroys more logs... That's why you should be VERY cautious when ctrl-tabbing in SGs (best quicksave first...).

I doubt that would be much use since cannons can't attack amphibiously, it takes 1 turn to land and our SOD would have to wait one more turn on the enemy soil. I'd try to avoid that.

True, an attack would take one turn extra. But, assuming your stack will be attacked as soon as it lands anyway, the difference delaying the landing of the cannon (cannons?) would make is that they wouldn't be ripped to shreds by flanking damage from attacking cuirassiers or (gasp) cavalry. Think of the humongous stack of knights Zara used during the Great Patriotic Massacre of 1620™. Now think what would happen when all of those have been upgraded to cavalry. Your proud cannon regiments would be reduced to scrap iron and scattered in all directions by the time the dust has settled.

Maybe all this can be avoided by upgrading everything to artillery first, if possible.

I guess that's mostly why rolo keeps suggesting to go artillery next, to avoid flanking.

Now you mention that massacre: I escaped such a massacre a couple of times before 1620 (tough I'm pretty sure it wasn't this stack). That's part of the reason we need to be fast. Another reason to be fast is the AI pace (zara really is scary...).

As I expected, not much action except for disposing of some caravels. However, we should be careful of the Chinese as well. They have a couple of galleons at a coastal city along with a huge stack.

Finished Artillery

Since the team decided to go Assembly Line next, I picked Nationalism next. It is one of 3 pre-req for AL. Though, I was thinking MS wouldn't have been bad as a next tech

Spoiler :

Settled a GProphet

Our city

Tech situation

Stats

I built mainly MGs, a couple of cannons and artillaries. I've placed the MGs along our shore where we're within the 4 tile range of naval drops.

I also finished filling up our Naval army.

Attachments

• Fox-40 AD-1744.CivBeyondSwordSave
    376.6 KB · Views: 82
Do we have enough cash to upgrade our cannons to artillery. If so, we should look at doing tis, otherwise onwards to Zara. I'm not sure about the detour to Military Science, if its only a few turns I would do it.

Roster
-- GreyFox == Skip until 9/Sep
-- R_rolo1
-- Berserks01
-- Imhotep == UP!
-- Mystyfly == On Deck
-- Ozbenno

Detour to MS is 6-7 turns, but it enables Gren which would be extremely helpful against Zara's rifle SOD.

I see it, but won't get to it this weekend most likely. May I ask for a swap ? :)

I won't find time until late sunday most likely so a swap would be necessary with some other player like oz or rolo.

Lurker's comment:

Trying to pinpoint the exact cause of the game log crash, I went back to the first 4000 B.C. save and loaded all subsequent ones, until I found the first save that resulted in a crash. This turned out to be GreyFox's 1175 B.C. save, posted here. I'd say it's likely that he's still running an older version of BUG. Interestingly, the very first save, also posted by GF, does not cause a crash. This is possibly due to the fact that the game log was still empty at that point (no turns had been played).

I'm having pc issues, please put me on autoskip until further notice. Sorry guys... :(

Research went through Nationalism, Constitution and Corporation. Assembly Line remains 12 turns away.

I unloaded some cannons to be upgraded to Artillery and then went visiting Zara. I has spied his main army on the eastern border, so went to the centre on a hill if he counter attacked. Here's our stack.

Here is his, notice the cavalry.

He didn't counter-attack IBT, so I razed his city. No losses

I cannot begin to describe to you how much I hate this event, he gets 5 free rifles out of it :mad:

I then headed north-east and decided to attack New Sarai as Zara now sports frigates, which we have no trouble beating but can be troublesome. He had a stack of around 20 rifles, 20 knights and plenty more there. He suicides a few troops but not to any great extent, the machine guns kill his rifles without damage so maybe he gave up :confused:

In any case the next five turns are spent pulverising the troops with artillery and killing off the remains. As this game is BUGGED I can't access the log to tell you nut I must have killed off 40+ troops. We lose nothing.

Zara must be gassed (at least partly), we have a couple choices. Head inland with this stack and start destroying him completely, while we build a new stack for the Chinese and others is one. Destroy all the coastal cities of everyone with this stack, continually replenishing is the other. Justinian could become a problem as well, maybe we need a stack just for him. What do we think?

We probably need to head for Combustion and Plastics after Assembly Line. Juggling the expences and trying to get the most beakers as well is challenging :mischief:

We have some maces and cannons that can be taken back to the mainland for upgrading if we choose as well.

Top Bottom