Free PBEM Chatroom info!

gonzo_for_civ

Chicken Walker
Retired Moderator
Hello PBEMers! It is with great joy I announce to you a new service being offered for free by myself and Chieftess. As you know, a LOT of PBEMing is posting "i got it" type posts and negotiating w/other players. In order to keep the PBEM threads smaller and keep the spam down chieftess and i will be offering a chat room creation and admin service. Here's the description of the service:

1) We will create an IRC chatroom for you! This means all the members of your team can head on over there and talk to other members online! You can even talk their to other members of the team who's turn is coming up instead of posting an "I'm done" post and they can tell you they've got it there instead of posting an "I got it" post.

2) We will Operate the chatroom for free! Yes, you heard right, Chieftess and I will be Ops of your new board which will allow us to set up custom options for you and kick whiners/flamers.

3) Well, what if I want to be an op too?? We will also set up anyone you'd like as an operator of your chat room, this means you and any selected PBEMers can Op also.

4) Absolutely free mIRC lessons!!!!!! In case you don't know, there is more than one way to access the chat room currently available. You can either use the Java chat applet to which a link is provided at the bottom of every page or else you can use a mIRC client. Chieftess and I are going to make a "user's guide" to mIRC and chat navigation so you can know how to use your newly set up chat.

If you are interested pm me or chieftess or else post in this thread with what your PBEM name is and what you'd like the chat room to be named. Note: Please only request a chat if you are the creator of a PBEM or if you have a verified link to a post by the creator asking for the room's creation. Rooms are automatically delted if unused for 21 days.

Instructions on how to do everything will be posted below by me and chieftess :)

CFC Chatroom Homepage
Plain mIRC download page
Link to download recommended client, DarkStyle mIRC

Note: Once you know how to join mIRC, a working PBEM chatroom for the Pioneer PBEM game is up at #civ3mp. Please do not disturb the chatters in that room, but feel free to say hi :)

Registering a Nick

/nickserv register <password> <email>

This is one of the basic, but important commands to use so someone doesn't steal your nick and pretend to be you while playing a game.

To register, enter in the above command. Make sure you are using the nick you want to register with. For example, say you want "PBEM_King" (without the quotes).

Type in:

/nick PBEM_King

Then, register the nick. Choose a passsword that you will remember. Suppose PBEM_King's email is on hotmail:

/nickserv register sugarcandy PBEM_King@hotmail.com

Your nick is registered! Now, the 2nd part is, you'll have to enter your password each time you log on. You can use mIRC's "Perform" option (more on that later). But, here's the command to identify your password:

/nickserv identify <password>

In PBEM_King's case, it's:

/nickserv identify sugarcandy

Note: /nickserv can be shortened to /ns

Something to watch out for:

Sometimes, when you choose a nick, someone else owns it. That is why it asks you for a password. Another type of nick is an "agreesive nick", which turns you into a guest if you try to use it. (examples ar the letters of the alphabet, and 2 letter combinations). If you encounter one, just type:

/nick <username>

and choose another nickname.

Creating the Chat Room - Part 1

There is a very simple way to create a chat room:

/join <roomname>

For example, suppose yours is "Late Night PBEM", you can type in:

/join #late_night_pbem
(note, the pound sign is option, but it makes the room a link in mIRC).

Also, 2 things to remember. You can't use spaces in the room name, or it will use the first word.

If you go to a room, and you are NOT the op, then that room is registered to someone else. Simply exit that room and try another name. It can help to put a number after the room if you don't want to keep trying. (More on registering a room later).

Greetings, and welcome to mIRC lesson 2 of 2. In the last lesson you learned how to:

- Register a nickname
- Create a Chat room
- How to create a chat room(2)

In this lesson you will learn more about:

- Using the mIRC clients
- Accessing your newly created room
- Using the java client for access to the chat

Using the mIRC Clients

Each of the 2 mIRC clients linked to in the first post are similar. They are also sligthly different. In both cases you will be asked to enter in some info before connecting. You may need to go to File -> Connect to pull up the connect screen. Once at the connect screen fill in the blanks with your desired info. When the server blank comes up you want to type in: irc.webmaster.org

Hit connect

You will be bombarded with several messages, mostly of no interest. If it is your first time connecting with a nickname please note whether or not it says the nickname is already registered. If so, you'll need to type /nick (your new desired nickname) to change your nick.

If you are entering for a 2nd or 3rd time and already have a registered nickname you will most likely either get a password prompt or a message telling you to identify. Type in /nickserv identify (your pw) to identify your password or type the password in the prompt(if there is one).

To register a nickname look for the register option in your client. In darkstyle this is under Commands -> Services -> NickServ -> Register and that will register your current nickname. A password and more can be set in the Commands -> Services -> NickServ -> Set -> menu. Once you are set up you are ready to access the chat room.

To join a chat room simply type /j #chatroomname or type /join #chatroomname if the first doesn't work.

To chat just start typing. To denote an action you are taking type /me whatever action you wnt to take.

In Darkstyle you can change your color by typing ctrl-k then the color code desired(displayed in a pop-up) followed by a comma and a bg color if you desire. If you want no bg color the comma isn't needed.

Ctrl-B is like typing [b] on the forums and Ctrl-B again is the [/b]. Subsitute u for b if you want underline.

To use the java client simply click on the chat room link at the bottom of the page. The ctrl codes won't work in the chat but there is a graphical interface set up for you already. You can change the room: option to #yourchatname to access your room directly or join the default room and switch to your room using the method listed above(/j or /join) You can use the /nickserv command in the chat as well so you can use your username and password as well.

It is recommended that all PBEMers create a nickname so no one else pretends to be you.

This article will be updated tomorrow :)
irc.webmaster.org

Creating the Chat Room - Part 2

This is the more advanced topic.

To register a room, you must be in that room for it to work. Otherwise, it will give you an error stating something like: *** [ChanServ] You must be a channel operator in #sometestroom in order to register it!.

Let's use the above example, #late_night_pbem

Now, go to the room:

/j #late_night_pbem

Then, use the following command:

/chanserv register <room> <password> <description>

You would type something like this:

/chanserv register #late_night_pbem spammers A room for PBEM

Again, you will have to register the room each time you log in. You can use the Perform option, but for now, use the following command (similar to nickserv):

/chanserv identify <room> <password>

So, you would type in:

/chanserv identify #late_night_pbem spammers

Top Bottom