Free Unit upgrading

thebigticket

Chieftain
Hi, I'm not really sure if this is the right thread, just dont know where else to go...
My problem is that I hate seeing cities defended by riflemen next to longbowman or similar such unrealistic things. So I would like to invent free unit upgrading always and for every civ.
I play the Rhye's and Fall of Civilizations Mod and there for example Germany gets free unit upgrading with the industrialisation tech.
I hope its just a minor change in the code and that you can help me finding it. :king:

I think there's a value you can set to 0 in the GlobalDefines.xml file, but don't change it there. Instead, copy it (BTS/Assets/XML) to "My Games/Beyond the Sword/CustomAssets/XML" and edit that copy using Notepad. Search for upgrade. IIRC it's a multiplier that is applied to the :hammers: difference between the two unit types. If you set it to 0, the cost for all upgrades will be 0:gold:. It won't auto-upgrade for you, but the AI's will probably do it without concern for losing XP.

Thanks for the quick answer and the quick solution, it just worked :goodjob:
Just one question occured...
I searched for "upgrade" and there were 3 lines found:

<Define>
<DefineName>MAX_EXPERIENCE_AFTER_UPGRADE</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>10</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

<Define>
<DefineName>BASE_UNIT_UPGRADE_COST</DefineName>
<!-- Rhye -->
<iDefineIntVal>10</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

<Define>
<DefineName>UNIT_UPGRADE_COST_PER_PRODUCTION</DefineName>
<!-- Rhye -->
<iDefineIntVal>2</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

(I used the xml from assets in the mod folder, actually the same code just different values)

Obviously the first lines have something to do with experience so I didnt touch it.
But free unit upgrade did only work if I changed for both "BASE_UNIT_UPGRADE_COST" and "UNIT_UPGRADE_COST_PER_PRODUCTION" the iDefineIntVal to 0. What is the difference between those two unit upgrade types?

And thanks again :)

The cost of the upgrade is defined by this formula (guessing from the names of the XML values):

price = base-unit-upgrade:gold: + (new:hammers: - old:hammers:) x unit-upgrade:gold:/:hammers:

So the first value (10) is a straight cost for each upgrade while the second value scales with the production cost difference between the two unit types. To upgrade from a 60:hammers: unit to a 100:hammers: unit would normally cost

10 + (100 - 60) * 2 = 90:gold:

Top Bottom