Future GOTM Map Suggestions

. Huts are bad for competition because someone can open an advanced tribe or monarchy in the beginning of the game while others get barbs.

Why not allow 'mini-restarts? ie if the hut doesn't give a player what he wants, allow him to pop the hut again? Then it's down to the skill of the player to determine what is needed for development next, rather than down to luck.

Since this will probably be anathema to the real experts, perhaps designate some GOTMs as 'veteran expert' games (no hut mini-restarts), and others as 'newbie' games (hut mini-restarts allowed)?

I'm curious how today's players would compare with those from the early days. I suggest a GOTM identical to one from the past, perhaps GOTM 10 or 20, for example. I'd prefer one that included some strong players.

Our moderator could probably do this "secretly" since VERY few players from those days are still active, so I doubt anyone would recognize an old GOTM. But some of the rules were different then, so if we want a completely level playing field, we'd have to revert to old rules for that game. I'd prefer that it were announced openly. We'd be on the honor system, as usual, not to peek at the spoiler or at the archives.

thats a very good idea.
I was thinking of trying an old gotm when I have more time, in the summer.

dont think its necessary to revert to the old rules, so things are a bit different.

I'm curious how today's players would compare with those from the early days. I suggest a GOTM identical to one from the past, perhaps GOTM 10 or 20, for example. I'd prefer one that included some strong players.

well, don't do GOTM 1, since i recently played that one as practice :). I've since started playing backwards (played 85, might play 84 next) just to see how they went

I'm playing 16, with van rehoming allowed, and it's going pretty well. I'll probably post a report when I'm done, maybe in the original spoiler thread. It's odd to read posts from 2002, wondering if Civ2 was dead, and if the GOTMs could go on.

GOTM16 was the first GOTM I ever played. Back then Matrix ran the GOTMs. For reasons unknown to me my submission was never accepted. I kept playing till GOTM 24-25 and then went away till GOTM 40.

I wasn't a CivFanatic back in 2002, but it's fascinating to imagine how Civ2 theory evolved during those years - and since then. We can get some idea from reading the posts in Apolyton's GL and the writings of Starlifter and Andu, etc, here at CFC. I hope to learn more by playing GOTM16 and comparing my game with the archived saves. If anyone else is interested in this, I'd be happy to post my opinions on what's changed since 2002. I'd also be interested in hearing from GOTM players of those days - Ali, Duke, Lord V, etc. If we do this, I guess we should change threads soon.

I do not have time to replay it. But I would be willing to dig up my saves and my notes and post summaries.

Ali [and all]: I'm hoping someone can comment on what the GOTMs were like back then. For example, which rules were different ? Were the best players competing with each other for the Gold Medal (or just having fun) ? What have you/we learned since then ? Well, I don't want to hijack this thread, so I've posted my log in the GOTM 16 spoiler, and I hope you will join me there!

I have designed a map recently which I have not had a chance to play. I suggest it here for a possible future GOTM. The description here is from memory. More details will be provided if the map is picked for play.

This world is 40x250 round. It consists of 256 isles. Each isle is a 2x2 square. Human player plays purple and starts on one such isle near the south pole. There is another such isle within a trireme's reach a little bit further to the South. Orange player is a little further north (not reachable via trireme) and starts on 2 such isles connected together at the tip. The cyan player is north of orange, again out of trireme's reach, and his homeland consists of 4 such isles. The yellow player is north of orange, again out of trireme's reach, and his homeland consists of two close by land pieces each made of 4 such isles. This pattern continues and culminates with the white player having a homeland of 64 such isles. The remaining 128 isles are near the north pole.

The isles each have 2 grass tiles (512 total) and one plains tile (256 total). The remaining tile is distributed as follows:
128 forests, 64 hills, 32 deserts, 16 swamps, 8 jungle, 4 tundra, 2 mountains, and 2 glaciers.
No grass tile covers a special.

Just to make it more challenging, the human starts with one settler and no techs. Orange player gets 2 settlers and 1 starting tech. Cyan gets 3 settlers and 2 starting techs, ... White gets 7 settlers and 6 starting techs. No starting tech will allow the building of a wonder.

Ali, it looks interesting, with the whole conquer-with-limited-resources deal, but may I make a few suggestions?
1. We switch civ colours with white, so they're purple and we're white. Your ''White'' civ is supposed to be supreme, right? (We can also forbid OCC if you want it.)

2. In every single rival civ starting position, put them on an island/starting position that has access to forest (and maybe not only from their starting island...) and not on ours. That would make it more difficult for us from a shield-producing point of view, since I don't think that the AI will be able to use its extra settlers very efficiently.

3. Give every civ (except us) Map Making. We want them to use up their extra settlers in cities fast. It would also make it more difficult for us to get Lighthouse, but they usually don't go for LH first so I don't think it will be a big deal for us.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. We switch civ colours with white, so they're purple and we're white. Your ''White'' civ is supposed to be supreme, right?
It was that way at the beginning. Then I switched it over for a good reason; unfortunately I do not remember the reason right now.
2. In every single rival civ starting position, put them on an island/starting position that has access to forest ...
3. Give every civ (except us) Map Making. We want them to use up their extra settlers in cities fast.
The starting positions, for everyone, are all nice positions: multi special, access to forest, and often on river. The multiple settlers are not all at one position but rather distributed in their homeland, each placed at a very good city site. For civs with multiple islands in their homeland, the settlers are distributed among islands as well. They can expand without map making. No one's homeland is within a trireme's reach of another's or the 128 neutral isles.

and often on river

Early conquest of the nearby civs just became 50% harder. Should be really interesting... but I hope for my sanity that the orange and cyan civs won't build too many walls.

The multiple settlers are not all at one position but rather distributed in their homeland, each placed at a very good city site. For civs with multiple islands in their homeland, the settlers are distributed among islands as well.

Oh... that spells trouble. Real trouble.

Also makes early alliances (and Marco's) a necessity.

They can expand without map making. No one's homeland is within a trireme's reach of another's or the 128 neutral isles.

AI triremes don't sink anyway, so this doesn't matter, unless the human tries to do conquest without lighthouse or caravels.

On the topic of future GOTMs, if you want to run some sort of comparison game I'll participate if it is posted by mid August. I have a few weeks off school at the end of August, so I'll be able to play it. I mention this because the GOTM community isn't all that large, so you may want an extra player.

How about planing on doing this for September, but making it available in Mid August instead of early September?

Here is my suggestion to Magic and others then: Lets play a custom designed short game for August and this map for September. Due to the size of this map, it does require extra time to play so why not give everyone extra time?

The custom designed short game could be OCC.

Top Bottom