[G&K] Deity Challenge #19 - Spain Pangaea (easy map)

Deau

Emperor
VERY EASY MAP - Posters please use spoil tags, ty.

Spain
UA: Seven Cities of Gold: Doubles tile yields from Natural Wonders
UU1: Tercio - Replaces Musketman. 26 str instead of 24. Also has 50% bonus vs mounted
UU2: Conquistador - Replaces Knight, +2 sight, can found new cities on continents different from capital.

Settings:
Standard Speed/Size/AIs/CSs
Map: Pangaea/Low sea level/Hot temperature/3 Billion years/normal rainfall
Standard resources
No quick combat. Sorry haters, I can't play quick combat until the devs add a damn combat log...

I expected someone to start one yesterday night or tonight so I've already played my game. I'll wait a few days to write-up my game not to spoil a few very useful infos.

For those playing HoF, map begs for it.
Initial start
Spoiler :

View attachment Spain1.Civ5Save

Recommended practice by Grendeldef - Links to previous DCs:
Spoiler :

Figuring out how to use steam's SSs, else I'll just upload from my disk, sorry for inconvenience should resolve within 10-15 mins.

Done

You can turn on/off the quick combat as you like ingame so nobody is gonna hate ;)

I will give it a shot, start looks a bit imba if you move a bit

Can we please keep the deity challenges hard. :(

We have the immortal challenges for easier ones. :(

I'm sorry Peter, I would however like to see the better players discuss how they tweaked their game to achieve best victory turn. I have a similar Babylon start I've replayed a few times to go from 244->228->212->195 victory and reading Tommynt's absurd play of the maya DC was quite interesting. At least from my PoV.

My first play of Spain's was 222 domination.

Spoiler :
tradition 4 cities opening. Added 5th city SW of cap (for crap and naval access) after completing tradition. Bought one settler and hard built two when cap pop hit 5. 4 cities were up before t50 and granary bought for 3rd and 4th city for faster growth.

Cap BO: scout - bought worker+scout with old faithful 500g - scout - shrine - granary - warrior - 2 settler - library - 2 archers - petra - NC - etc - National epic - univ (2 turns!) - etc

expos: granary (mostly bought) - lib/archer - etc.

SP: full tradition - pat open - rati left side

religion: DF - pagoda, ceremonial burial - religious community, itinerant preachers

Used 2 turns to settle on river hill with 3f tile at the 1st ring.

Could not find 2 civs and lots of CS - it seems that the remaining two civs are on the right side of maya. not meeting multiple civs till like t120 is very unusual in pangea map.

map is not great for fast domination with so many bottlenecks - on the other hand, so many good expo spots and easy to defend once you take babylon out. I decided to kill bab and get huns or maya, but prolly not more and just aim for sci victory.

Bab was a runaway and I had fought with him for a long time - I almost got his cap but he got GW at a very nice timing (for him, not me) and I had to retreat after losing like 4 CBs. I had to wait Xbows (around t90-95) and used 2 citadels. Finally got babylon at t118 and accepted a nice peace deal (2000g + 20gpt + 2 lux). Both of his cap and 2nd city are in great shape, so will annex them soon.

I stole a worker from bab (very early, before t10) and one more from Netherlands. I also got 3 workers from Genoa (pillaged incense tile and waited workers to come to repair - put your unit 2 tiles from the border and they can't see you). These "immigrants" greatly helped Spainsh empire.

Attachments

• 2013-05-19_00003.jpg
    2013-05-19_00003.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 618
  • 2013-05-19_00004.jpg
    2013-05-19_00004.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 515
Spoiler :
Could not find 2 civs and lots of CS - it seems that the remaining two civs are on the right side of maya. not meeting multiple civs till like t120 is very unusual in pangea map.

map is not great for fast domination with so many bottlenecks - on the other hand, so many good expo spots and easy to defend once you take babylon out. I decided to kill bab and get huns or maya, but prolly not more and just aim for sci victory.

Added 5th city SW of cap (for crap and naval access) after completing tradition.

Spoiler :
Indeed, the same choke points are the reason why it takes forever to meet the last 2 civs, which I won't spoil yet! Best is there is about as much room to expand on the right end of the map for 3 civs as there is on the left end for 5 civs so you might meet a runaway in late game.

Also, do you often rush purchase scouts? I so can't mind myself to do that, not even as Spain. At least not if the gold is from a NW as I expect not to snag anymore 500g ones afterwards...well usually

Did your naval access get you anymore 500g wonders? I discovered them...when I teched satellites

Spoiler :

After taking 3 Babylon cities, I just focused on science. I haven't upgraded any Xbows till the end of the game. Didn't have wars with any other civs except worker stealing from Netherlands and followed HoF rules.

t157 plastics. Did not have enough cash so I had to hard build at least half of labs. culture was low too - could not finish rati in time even with cristo.

Had 5 RAs - 2 with Denmark, 2 with Maya, 1 with Japan.

SP: tradition - pat open - rati left 2 - order open - planned economy - humanism

It was a fun map for non-warmongering play.

Attachments

• 2013-05-20_00001.jpg
    2013-05-20_00001.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 2013-05-20_00006.jpg
    2013-05-20_00006.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 433
Spoiler :
Indeed, the same choke points are the reason why it takes forever to meet the last 2 civs, which I won't spoil yet! Best is there is about as much room to expand on the right end of the map for 3 civs as there is on the left end for 5 civs so you might meet a runaway in late game.

Also, do you often rush purchase scouts? I so can't mind myself to do that, not even as Spain. At least not if the gold is from a NW as I expect not to snag anymore 500g ones afterwards...well usually

Did your naval access get you anymore 500g wonders? I discovered them...when I teched satellites

Spoiler :

I purchase scout if I get NW early in the game with Spain and try to find one more NW. In addition to another NW possibility, with early scouts you can get more ruins and meet civs/CS faster and can have worker stealing opportunities.

My naval scouting was a complete failure - scouting by land (with open border with maya) was much faster and efficient. I found NWs in the ocean very late - the same thing happened! I found last NWs with satellites...

Spoiler :
Im quite disappointed with my result but I managed a turn 251 SV on my first attempt. Was aiming for a sub 240 mark since this map was quite easy as the OP suggests, but I messed up two GS and did a brutal job on my religion and culture. I took Babylon around turn 90 and followed it up with Neb's 2nd city. Compared to glory7, I took Babylon earlier, but didnt hit Plastics til turn 178. Im going to blame that on my complete lack of Religion (and therefore struggling with Happiness a lot of the game).

Either way it was my first Spanish Victory and only 3rd Deity win. Hopefully I can fix some of the small things and bring myself to an elite leader soon. Was a decent DC and I look forward to participating in more in the future

Attachments

• CivilizationV_DX11 2013-05-20 22-35-33-69.jpg
    CivilizationV_DX11 2013-05-20 22-35-33-69.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 326
Spoiler :

After taking 3 Babylon cities, I just focused on science. I haven't upgraded any Xbows till the end of the game. Didn't have wars with any other civs except worker stealing from Netherlands and followed HoF rules.

t157 plastics. Did not have enough cash so I had to hard build at least half of labs. culture was low too - could not finish rati in time even with cristo.

Had 5 RAs - 2 with Denmark, 2 with Maya, 1 with Japan.

SP: tradition - pat open - rati left 2 - order open - planned economy - humanism

It was a fun map for non-warmongering play.

Spoiler :
Nice quick SV! :goodjob:This is super aggressive opening though, I wonder these super early DoWs made difference as sometimes the more you DoW AI the more gold can be squeezed from AI and more upgrade to get even more peace cash. The 3 CS workers capture is very big boost. Also Petra in deity with all desert tiles, the dream set-up!

You say it's easy, I'll try this for my first deity game :rolleyes:

EDIT: how many CB do you need to fight back on deity?

VERY EASY MAP - Posters please use spoil tags, ty.
Spain
Spain, easy, does everyone think like me ?
Spoiler :
I have to find that natural wonder quickly :lol:

Well, maybe don't call it "challenge" then, but i think easier Deity maps are really useful to fill the gap between Immortal and Deity, and help immortal players move on.

No, I can't pull it out.
Spoiler :

Found the geyser quickly and did Tabarnak's 4-city opening with NC on turn 95, but then it all went whack. Nebby marched a huge army all over my placeand attacked me. Since then I just kept shooting at his troops and they seemed to never stop coming. Harald came to my borders with an army and I paid Atilla to attack him, then William came to my borders with an army and I paid Atilla to attack him. Nebby spammed wonders and cities everywhere too, and he has the GW, so I didn't manage to go on offensive. Since I'm sitting there hard pressed and with no happiness to grow, I think it's lost. Just anyone else declares on me and I'm a dead man, or I just wait for Nebby to come with Xbows.

You say it's easy, I'll try this for my first deity game :rolleyes:

EDIT: how many CB do you need to fight back on deity?

Spoiler :
6 CB should easily be able to defend. In both glory7 and Is game, Neb managed to grab GW so youll need a lot more if you want to push back. I had to tech Machinery before Education to actually take Babylon, which is another reason my SV was so late.

Well, maybe don't call it "challenge" then, but i think easier Deity maps are really useful to fill the gap between Immortal and Deity, and help immortal players move on.

I like the "easier" deity start games to learn from. I'd love to see a "Deity AAA League" thread for more of these types of starts for those of us not quite ready for the big leagues yet.

Spoiler :
Nice quick SV! :goodjob:This is super aggressive opening though, I wonder these super early DoWs made difference as sometimes the more you DoW AI the more gold can be squeezed from AI and more upgrade to get even more peace cash. The 3 CS workers capture is very big boost. Also Petra in deity with all desert tiles, the dream set-up!

Spoiler :

Thanks! I knew that it was super aggresive opening, but I could not stop stealing workers as they do make real difference. When I saw Bab starting locations (great position with lots of salts), I knew that I have to take him out before renaissance - otherwise he would get me. I think that it's kinda hard to get peace cash unless you get sizeable army (like more than 8 CBs and attacking his cap after killing most of his units).

Lucky thing was that Denmark killed Netherlands so my early DoW to him didn't matter much and I could bribe AIs so that bab was fighting against at least 2 civs all the time.

and for 3 CS workers, it was really lucky too. I did not have enough army to clear barb camps if one comes up nearby, but I could clear one with my 2nd city settlement and after that barbs didn't come out so CS kept making workers instead of units.

with lots of "free" workers and 4 cities at great positions before t50, I knew that I won this game already, and when I got petra it was just a matter of time.

Top Bottom