Game Log Question

Verrucosus

Warlord
The timeline screen includes a log of game events that can serve as the backbone of a game report. From the screen, you can export a dynamic map as a gif-file, but not the log itself. Is this log saved somewhere? (The text-files in the logs-folder include some technical information, but no in-game events.)

It's in the saved game but it's not exported in any convenient way or separate file. Shouldn't be too hard though to make a reasonable exporter that parses the save for this.

Reactions: PiR
Thank you! I found the log data in the save file under <PermanentLogList>. If I copy it and edit out all the stuff in brackets, I get exactly the plain text log that I was looking for. It's not convenient, but creating an exporter is beyond my talents. Thanks again!

Some of my friends enjoy sending me little reports about the games they play, and occasionally I like to return the favour. Many years ago, I got interested in EU2 because someone sent me a heavily edited game log, and one of my friends still has Civ1 logs from the 1990s. Old World seems well suited for this.

The log itself is both too detailed and not fleshed out enough for this purpose, but it establishes a clear chronology that would help me remember any details I might want to include. The editing to reduce the "PermanentLogList" back to plain text is too messy to do for every Old World game I might want to remember, but I could imagine doing it for a single game that I really want to share, so it's good to know that it's possible. I'm still learning Old World myself, but the stuff that happens is sometimes too good (or crazy) to forget and it's helpful to have a chronology as a context for these memorable events.

Thank you, PiR! I don't want everything, only the plain text under the various <Text> entries as well as the AUC date/turn number, so the sort of transformed text shown on the example site would still need editing. I imagine a text exporter would be extremely helpful if you needed the log frequently outside the running game, maybe for discussion during succession games or something like that. For my very limited purpose, it's probably easier to do it manually.

Reactions: PiR
Top Bottom