Game not playing

TTT

Chieftain
Need help here at my wits end. 3 months ago civ5 stopped working. I click on the icon and everyting is normal. It comes to the screen where I choose the directx version. I choose and nada. Nothing happens. Same if I run the game from steam. I have tried verify integreti of game files and reinstalled still no joy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also Sid Mayer's Beyond earth has the same issue but Civ6 works fine!!

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Need help here at my wits end. 3 months ago civ5 stopped working. I click on the icon and everyting is normal. It comes to the screen where I choose the directx version. I choose and nada. Nothing happens. Same if I run the game from steam. I have tried verify integreti of game files and reinstalled still no joy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also Sid Mayer's Beyond earth has the same issue but Civ6 works fine!!

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Have you tried running the game from inside the Civilization 5 main folder? When doing that see if you get any system errors. It might say that d3dx9_42.dll is missing. If that is the case put the two files I uploaded into your main Civilization 5 folder. I can't upload them individually so they're archived in a .zip.

The fact that other games are working makes me think your System32 files are fine and that the problem is localised to the Civ5/BE folders. Windows may just have problems communicating between various folders. Are you running Windows 10?

Attachments

• DX42.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
Have you tried running the game from inside the Civilization 5 main folder? When doing that see if you get any system errors. It might say that d3dx9_42.dll is missing. If that is the case put the two files I uploaded into your main Civilization 5 folder. I can't upload them individually so they're archived in a .zip.

The fact that other games are working makes me think your System32 files are fine and that the problem is localised to the Civ5/BE folders. Windows may just have problems communicating between various folders. Are you running Windows 10?
Yes I'm running windows 10. However not al the games are working. Sid Mayer's Beyond earth does not work but Civ6 works. ill try what you suggested and Ill update here.

Yes I'm running windows 10. However not al the games are working. Sid Mayer's Beyond earth does not work but Civ6 works. ill try what you suggested and Ill update here.

Ok found the folder but cant start it from there as far as I can see. Below is a screenshot. Been through all the folders and cant see a exe file that allows me to start the game.
upload_2017-10-10_20-43-54.png

Ok found the folder but cant start it from there as far as I can see. Below is a screenshot. Been through all the folders and cant see a exe file that allows me to start the game.
View attachment 478578
Up where it says File, Home, Share and View left click on view. While you're there check that "File name extensions" is ticked.

Up where it says File, Home, Share and View left click on view. While you're there check that "File name extensions" is ticked.
Ok did that. Apologies for being a nuisance but to old to learn computers I suppose ;) below is a screen shot of what i can see now. Sill cant see a exe file anywhere.
upload_2017-10-10_21-6-5.png

Ok did that. Apologies for being a nuisance but to old to learn computers I suppose ;) below is a screen shot of what i can see now. Sill cant see a exe file anywhere.
View attachment 478583
I made a mistake in my last reply. Was meant to say tick "Hidden items" and while you're there tick File name extensions anyway. If that doesn't work and files are still not showing it could be your anti-virus being annoying. It may have quarantined your .exe files for some reason.

I just looked at your screenshot a bit more closely and you're not in the right place. My bad about that. You need to be in Steam/SteamApps/common/Civ5. If you right click your Civ 5 icon on your desktop you can open file location and it will take you right there.

I just looked at your screenshot a bit more closely and you're not in the right place. My bad about that. You need to be in Steam/SteamApps/common/Civ5. If you right click your Civ 5 icon on your desktop you can open file location and it will take you right there.
Ok checked for that and no such path or file Steam/SteamApps/common/Civ5. Clicked on the icon on the desk top and it shows no file location. uninstalled the game through steam and reinstalled again and still the same issue.
Thinking I have to reinstall windows 10 to see what that will do. But to be honest this is as bad as I have ever seen. Any more ideas will be welcome.

F
Ok checked for that and no such path or file Steam/SteamApps/common/Civ5. Clicked on the icon on the desk top and it shows no file location. uninstalled the game through steam and reinstalled again and still the same issue.
Thinking I have to reinstall windows 10 to see what that will do. But to be honest this is as bad as I have ever seen. Any more ideas will be welcome.
Found it! Ok where to from here? Tried running Launcher.exe and still the same result. No error comes up. It just will not go beyond the directx choice box at the start.

upload_2017-10-11_19-57-19.png

Okay great. Not sure why "open file location" on the desktop didn't work for you. You want to try running CivilizationV.exe. If you get that error then we know the problem.

Okay great. Not sure why "open file location" on the desktop didn't work for you. You want to try running CivilizationV.exe. If you get that error then we know the problem.
Yea clicked on that. Wont even open the directx option box from there...:(

Running either CivilizationV.exe or CivilizationV_DX11.exe doesn't bring up the select directx menu. It should just launch you straight into the game. What happens when you run? Any errors or does it not react at all?

Running either CivilizationV.exe or CivilizationV_DX11.exe doesn't bring up the select directx menu. It should just launch you straight into the game. What happens when you launch? Any errors or does it not react at all?
No reaction at all. I get the spinning circle for few seconds (instead of the mouse courser arrow) and the nothing.

No reaction at all. I get the spinning circle for few seconds (instead of the mouse courser arrow) and the nothing.
Try having Task Manager open when you run it and see if it appears at all. This may be a shot in the dark but run it as Administrator. Also you could try changing Compatibility Mode to Windows 7.

Launcher.exe, CivilizationV.exe and CivilizationV_DX11 can all be changed. Just right click on them and go into properties. There will be a tab called Compatibility where you can set it. At first I thought this may have been a DirectX/GPU driver problem but it seems it's either Windows or the game itself.

Do you play the directx11 version? I take it your GPU drivers are all up to date?

Try having Task Manager open when you run it and see if it appears at all. This may be a shot in the dark but run it as Administrator. Also you could try changing Compatibility Mode to Windows 7.

Launcher.exe, CivilizationV.exe and CivilizationV_DX11 can all be changed. Just right click on them and go into properties. There will be a tab called Compatibility where you can set it. At first I thought this may have been a DirectX/GPU driver problem but it seems it's either Windows or the game itself.

Do you play the directx11 version? I take it your GPU drivers are all up to date?
I play the directx9 but have tried 11 also. I'm starting to think this is a windows issue and Im going to try a clean reinstall later and se if that will change anythingh. I'll post here later and see what it does.

One last thing before you try a clean install of Windows could be temporarily turning off your Anti-virus. Do you by any chance use AVG? AVG and steam don't get on too well. The fact that Civ 6 works however but Civ5/BE doesn't has me stumped I'm afraid.

Top Bottom