Game Settings Extractions

@:sabrewolf:

I'm still looking at that. From the tests I've done so-far, it seems to agree with what you say: map is fine (and so is resource distribution, from what I can tell). Player starting locations seem to be the problem. I've played around with 'redistribute player starting locations' in the editor, and that doesn't seem to fix it either. There is 32 sets of 2 x integers in the relevant WRLD section of the save, and I <thought> they might correspond to the starting x & y, but haven't checked that yet (I was looking at them for a different reason). If this is right, then it will let ths starting positions be extracted from the saves, but they will probably have to be put in via the editor (or perhaps I could automate it into the saves? => player uses the tool to get the game settings, generates the map via the editor, then feeds the .sav back to the tool to set the start locations?)

To summarise: Needs more work! :D

It's me again! Happy Citizen Longasc is celebrating WLA-Day! :)

("We love Ainwood") :jesus:

:worship:

ainwood:
there must be a way to generate it because when starting the _game_ with exactly the same settings and civs, i get the same starting location and the same everything.
from what i remember, the resources weren't completely the same. i remember seeing wheat instead of a luxury and some other things slightly different.

those 32x 2ints probably are enough. i presume your integers are 4 bytes long which would be enough for coordinates (1 byte wouldn't be enough for gigantic world sizes). a very long time ago (at vanilla civ3) someone progammed a starting location "inserter". i presume it's still the same...

but anyway.... great work! hope to this continuing (and especially hoping for a C3C-version of trade assist ;) )

sabrewolf said:
ainwood:
(and especially hoping for a C3C-version of trade assist ;) )
<thread jack>
You could always check out the latest version of CRpMapStat :mischief:.
</thread jack>

Dianthus said:
<thread jack>
You could always check out the latest version of CRpMapStat :mischief:.
</thread jack>

^^ bah! Intellectual property thief :p

@sabrewolf:

Well, I have actually started converting trade assist to conquests. That in itself is no big deal, but I've re-written the entire source code for all civ versions. Main activity has been COTM and GOTM as well as (finally) getting on to the QSC. But I <do> plan on getting trade-assist upgraded (and have a few extra features planned). :)

re the game settings: were you getting the same map by using the settings & world seed in C3C? I was referring to PTW & Civ3 via the editor.

ainwood said:
^^ bah! Intellectual property thief :p
True.

ainwood said:
... (and have a few extra features planned). :)
Are they new ones that I can blatantly copy, or are you going to get your own back and copy some of mine? :D.

ainwood said:
Well, I have actually started converting trade assist to conquests. That in itself is no big deal, but I've re-written the entire source code for all civ versions. Main activity has been COTM and GOTM as well as (finally) getting on to the QSC. But I <do> plan on getting trade-assist upgraded (and have a few extra features planned). :)

i can imagine the whole stuff isn't too little work ;)

re the game settings: were you getting the same map by using the settings & world seed in C3C? I was referring to PTW & Civ3 via the editor.

yes exactly, it was all C3C.
except one PBEM, i havn't played non-c3c civ since patch 1.12. the new civs and features are just too good to miss out :)

Just tried the EXE only (the DLL was missing so I couldn't actually extract anything). Is there any way of doing it so that it can run straight from a command line?

For example:
[pre]"Seed beast" "c:\whatever\agame.sav" "c:\whatever\agame.txt"[/pre]
and just have it make the .txt file?

I've done a prelim design for the game management stuff and may be able to get on and do some specific code for it next month.

Such a little tool, and so many wishes. Now I no longer wonder why Windows is updated over and over again. :)

I don't know what I'm doing wrong -- this only works on one set of my games (a game as Carthage) .. on all the others it fails to open the save file.

I tried installing it both to it's default directory, and to the Civ3 directory. I've tried rebooting after installation. What am I missing?

If someone could tell me the seed from the game below, that would be great. If anyone has any ideas why I can't run this, that would be better!

Thanks.

Grunthex said:
I don't know what I'm doing wrong -- this only works on one set of my games (a game as Carthage) .. on all the others it fails to open the save file.

I tried installing it both to it's default directory, and to the Civ3 directory. I've tried rebooting after installation. What am I missing?

If someone could tell me the seed from the game below, that would be great. If anyone has any ideas why I can't run this, that would be better!

Thanks.
What error message are you getting? Seeing as that save is a C3C save, I presume it is asking for the location of your conquests.biq file?

ainwood said:
What error message are you getting? Seeing as that save is a C3C save, I presume it is asking for the location of your conquests.biq file?

My bad. Just getting the 'Failed Reading Save File' in a pop-up window. After that the name of the game is at the top (left of the select file button), but the settings window is blank.

It goes straight to the error message.

I've never played tried it under any pre 1.22 version, I just discovered this program last week. Also, this installations is clean, and all the saves are C3C v1.22.

Grunthex said:
It goes straight to the error message.

I've never played tried it under any pre 1.22 version, I just discovered this program last week. Also, this installations is clean, and all the saves are C3C v1.22.
OK, I tried it on my home PC, and it works fine. Try downloading the full install again from the first post in the thread (it won't work if you try the .exe only).

Anyway, for that save you posted, the details are as follows:
Code:
Barbarians: ROAMING.

Climate: ARID.

LandForm: CONTINENTS.

Map Size: LARGE.

Ocean Coverage: 70%.

Temperature: TEMPERATE.

World Age: 5 BILLION YEARS.

World seed: 36176310

PLAYERS: 
Greece (Human player) 
Byzantines
Babylon
Rome
Hittites
Portugal
Inca
Scandinavia
Korea
Egypt
Germany
Sumeria

Thanks for the results -- I'll give it an uninstall and reinstall from scratch tonight, making sure I use the full version... will let you know how it turns out.

Top Bottom