Game unplayable without autosave?

poxpower

Prince
I just can't play this game without autosave of at least 1 turn.
Why wouldn't I reload if I forget to stop a worker from chopping? Or if I give gold to the wrong city-state? Or click "annex" instead of "puppet" on a city I capture? I see the best players like FilthyRobot or Acken do this kind of mistake and it's just dumb as hell. They get robbed of something they set up with their skill but then forgot to follow-through because of the limited game interface.

The number of dumb micromanagement errors that can cost you dearly is just endless and, in my opinion, just a strict detriment to the enjoyment of the game.
It's a strategy game, not a memory game. Once I figure out a strategy, being punished for forgetting to do one part of it 16 turns down the road is just stupid.

This basically applies to all instances where you had all information but just forgot something. So not for reloading combat or city-state coups or reloading 10 turns of a war because you now know where all their units will be etc.

Good for you, man. Preach it! I'm sure Civ V will see the error of its ways and correct for the better.

Interesting you should mention Filthy here, I know he's a strict advocate of keeping the punishment for micro in the game in context of the NQ mod. No clue about Acken's opinion here but Filthy believes in it strongly.

He says that the big difference microing properly makes is one of the most important things that's left up to the player being able to have agency on in the game. Now Civ has lots of player agency compared to other games, but it's interesting you should mention Filthy here in this rant thread because to my knowledge he disagrees, and in many of his streams blames himself for his mistakes and essentially considers them part of the game.

It depends on what you want to make of it. The game *can* be a memory game if you so choose. My reluctance to save a lot comes from my father taunting me when I was child playing Civ2 that "in real life you can't press Enter and make it all right again". So I try to make it more like real life: you need to think ahead, pay attention, and learn as you go. The cost of mistakes, to me, is therefore part of the game.

And yeah, it's still annoying to find your worker on the other continent because 10 turns ago you misclicked and forgot about it :)

but it's interesting you should mention Filthy here in this rant thread because to my knowledge he disagrees, and in many of his streams blames himself for his mistakes and essentially considers them part of the game.

Well filthy plays multiplayer so he can't reload. :p

There's lots of micromanagement errors you can make that don't involve missclicks. I often see FilthyRobot forget to plant a spy for instance.

My policy is to set reload to 1 turn. I think that's kind of fair. If you click through your units/cities fast it's not rare to make a dumb missclick and then...like... why am I being punished for this lol.. Especially single player, where no one cares.

In multi it's different of course, you couldn't have people reload every other turn...

I have it set to five turns, I'm really only an advocate of reloading a save if I really mess up. If I lose a worker because or poor micromanagement I'm probably not going to reload the save, if I'm not paying attention and move a high-level unit into bombardment range and get it killed I might. Similarly, if I make a really stupid move I might reload a save from ten or fifteen turns back. That one might be a bit of a cheese, but I feel like if I go back and correct my mistakes, I might not be making them next time. Plus if I have to bend the rules a bit to continue playing and enjoying the game, I'm going to do it.

I have it set to 5 turns. I've never been a re-loader all through my 20 years of playing Civ, but as I've gone through the difficulty levels on Civ 5and am now stable at Emperor, winning about 75% of the time I have found myself loading an autosave more - I did it especially my last game where I was behind the AI the entire game and needed to play mistake free to have a chance (I still lost).

I've also used it more as I've tried different strategies and choices in the game. "Should I do X or Y? I'll try X. Oops, no, that didn't work, I'll go back and try Y"

where do you even change that in the base game again? Mine is set to 5 as well, but I'd honestly prefer 1. Not because I want to correct every misclick I make (too tedious) but I couple a couple times I've actually forgotten to save like an idiot, and once the game crashed on me and I ended up having to replay 3-4 turns of my work.

where do you even change that in the base game again? Mine is set to 5 as well, but I'd honestly prefer 1. Not because I want to correct every misclick I make (too tedious) but I couple a couple times I've actually forgotten to save like an idiot, and once the game crashed on me and I ended up having to replay 3-4 turns of my work.

It's in the options menu somewhere, you can set the numbers of saves kept. It's not so hard to find if I recall.

Anyway I don't replay every turn or whatever but some times something way too stupid happens that I'm obviously going to reload. Like sometimes you missclick a great person and it starts a golden age instead of a great work, or bulbs instead of academy. Yeah, right, I'm going to play the rest of the game with that "mistake" lol

I never reload. I roll with my errors. Just don`t be so fast on your finger twitching. Likelihood is you are so impatient you`re clicking on stuff before actually thinking first, then blaming the game.

I keep autorsave of about 10-20 turns just in case the game crashes.

Why would you waste your time going back, fixing micro-errors when you could as well use that time to play, learn and get better while actually having fun playing instead of having to go back for every minor thing? Unless you're in some kind of challenge where you have to make a map work as good as possible (and where reloading is allowed)... who cares?

In terms of "making the most out of a single match" it may make sense, in terms of real-life time management (which has way more influence on the outcome on your skill over time, unless you're very close near the top already when it comes to the overall strategy) it makes no sense at all. It's better to get the grand-scale knowledge of 10 games than getting the small-scale knowledge of 1 game with all the micro-decisions made to perfection.

When it's about a misclick... well, sure, don't see anything wrong with reloading. But at the same time I don't see the need to reload just because of a misclick, unless it's a really game-defining one. Overall I'm quite happy that I don't have the urge to go back everytime I make a mistake. Infact, if I felt the need to do that constantly I'd probably completely disable autosave just to force myself out of that habit.

I never reload. I roll with my errors. Just don`t be so fast on your finger twitching. Likelihood is you are so impatient you`re clicking on stuff before actually thinking first, then blaming the game.

I keep autorsave of about 10-20 turns just in case the game crashes.

Well, that's a nice presumptuous and judgmental post - criticizing people's game play without knowing anything about their situation. Personally, I set Auto Save to 1 turn. Too many times I've been burned because the batteries in my wireless mouse were dying and the pointer stuttered as I was about to click, causing my unit to embark next to an enemy coastal city rather than attack the unit on the shoreline. Or my 4 year old runs over and mashes the keyboard because she thinks it's funny, and just happened to hit a key that does something detrimental. Or my ADD gets the best of me and I waste a charge on my Great Prophet spreading my religion, when I still haven't enhanced it yet. There's plenty of things that can go wrong that have nothing to do with impatience.

Well, that's a nice presumptuous and judgmental post - criticizing people's game play without knowing anything about their situation. Personally, I set Auto Save to 1 turn. Too many times I've been burned because the batteries in my wireless mouse were dying and the pointer stuttered as I was about to click, causing my unit to embark next to an enemy coastal city rather than attack the unit on the shoreline. Or my 4 year old runs over and mashes the keyboard because she thinks it's funny, and just happened to hit a key that does something detrimental. Or my ADD gets the best of me and I waste a charge on my Great Prophet spreading my religion, when I still haven't enhanced it yet. There's plenty of things that can go wrong that have nothing to do with impatience.

Don`t be so sensitive. I wasn`t trying to hurt or upset anyone. Just some words for you that will do you well in life.

Well I could avoid this, but it involves a level of slowness that makes the game take 30% longer and it's just not as fun.
With autosave you get to not make the dumb mistakes and also play faster and get more games done and more strategies experimented on etc.

edit: One example from right now. I purposefully kept a ruin to pop it in case it's +1 population. But then I moved the scout around it ( or so I thought ) for 2 tiles, but the AI chose to take the path that went through the ruin. It was +1 pop, with 1 turn to grow for my city. Now why in god's name would I not reload this idiotic turn of events? lol

Top Bottom