Game works on 2/3 machines, but not the best one.

Drexl Vaal

Chieftain
I have three machines
1: i7 6700k + gtx 1080ti running Windows 10 Pro 1909
2: i5 4670k + gtx 1070 running Windows 10 Pro 1909
3: Laptop with an i7-8750H + gtx 1060 running Windows 10 Pro 1903

Machines 2 and 3 have no issues running Civ V at max settings. Machine 1 stutters non-stop. For every second of motion it pauses for about half a second.

The machine with the problems was recently reformatted and given a fresh install of windows (on 2020-03-22). The only things installed are games, game launchers, chat apps (discord/slack/telegram), some creative stuff like Krita and Audacity, basic office stuff like LibreOffice, cloud storage sync apps, VLC, and official drivers for peripherals.

It doesn't matter whether I use dx9,dx11, full-screen or windowed.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Thanks. :)

So far I've tried disabling all non-Microsoft services except for the steam library service (for obvious reasons), and the Logitech GHub updater service because I need Logitech GHub for my mouse macros and PTT key in Discord. I also disabled all startup programs aside from Discord and Logitech GHub. The issue persists despite this. When I set the Civ executable to compatibility mode for Windows 8 I get some improvements in single-player. I still sit around 30fps, sometimes less, but the stuttering goes away almost entirely. However in multiplayer games no changes are perceived. I've done all I can think of. Any advice?

Top Bottom