GameCrate's new interview with Ed Beach

nunor

King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdTwARovEJ8

Almost nothing of interest here, except maybe the reference to the Inuit (at 4'50) which probably means they're not in.

For those who can't watch videos, Ed Beach said he loved how the modding community for Civ5 is so active in creating new "civilizations, sub-civilizations, and tribes", and then he added

"you can go out and find a mod somewhere in Steam Workshop for Civ5 and just play as the Inuit for your game - that's really exciting, that's a lot of fun"

I don't know if you agree with me, but it seems to me he said it like "Look, they even make mods for peoples as unimportant as the Inuit, that's so cute".:mischief:

EDIT: crossed out the part where I made Ed sound like a douche, which I didn't mean (and he definitely wasn't).

EDIT 2: So apparently people are interpreting this as if I am offended with Ed Beach, for some reason? :confused:
I'm just trying to see if there's some info we can extract from this -- in this case, I think we can rule out the Inuit. I found this relevant as some forumers had been suggesting the Inuit as a good candidate to be in Civ6, because of TSL.

I think you're really reaching for a negative meaning there, personally.
Ok, the "that's so cute" part may be a bit exaggerated. I didn't mean to give it such a negative twist.

I just think he used the Inuit as an example of a Civ which would almost certainly never be done officially.

Ok, the "that's so cute" part may be a bit exaggerated. I didn't mean to give it such a negative twist.

I just think he used the Inuit as an example of a Civ which would almost certainly never be done officially.

All he means is that the community is very active/devoted. It's so active that you can find almost any civ to play with. (not to say any mod you need).

Were the Shoshone as important as the Inuit and was there already any mod for the Shoshone to any of the previous civ iterations?
The only thing that he would have implied is that not all civs can be in the game, but eventually even the most exotic/unusual ones will be made by the modding community.

Offended? Not at all! :D

I was just trying to make something out of his statement that could possibly hint to the presence or absence of certain civilizations in Civ6.

Admittedly, I'm grasping at straws, but that's what we have to do when information is so scarce... :shifty:

You're trying a little too hard to be offended.

This. The last thing Civ needs is to catter to PCBS and include every single possible human group, regardless of their contribution to human history and/or advancement. Sure, let's add the Guaranies also!

As for the video, Ed is praising the modding community (a well deserved praise) for enriching any game, but especially civ, so much... in any case, his statement is reinforcing the idea of high moddability for the next iteration of civ.

This. The last thing Civ needs is to catter to PCBS and include every single possible human group, regardless of their contribution to human history and/or advancement. Sure, let's add the Guaranies also!

But who is arguing against that? :confused:

I just found this piece of info relevant, as some of us had been suggesting the Inuit as a good candidate to be in Civ6, because of TSL.

The only thing Inuit have going for them, because my history isn't that up to date. is also the fact that it has a higher chance to be added than some other nation purely because of possible gameplay reasons. They are as far as I know one of the nations that could rely on unique relating to Snow and Tundra.

Don't you think it would make playing against the Inuit very annoying? Maybe based on a play through with the mod. I mean their cities would be useless to you so you would have to either raze them (and eat the penalty) or ignore them.

Oh well. At least the designer is talking about the Inuit. :)

Don't you think it would make playing against the Inuit very annoying? Maybe based on a play through with the mod. I mean their cities would be useless to you so you would have to either raze them (and eat the penalty) or ignore them.

Exactly. It's not annoying, it's a choice, It makes playing with them or against them a hgue question mark, giving the ever knowing "what is my approach"

Do you leave them alone and possibly risk having them become powerful or do you attack and conquer them knowing none of their cities would work for you.

Exactly. It's not annoying, it's a choice, It makes playing with them or against them a hgue question mark, giving the ever knowing "what is my approach"

Do you leave them alone and possibly risk having them become powerful or do you attack and conquer them knowing none of their cities would work for you.

Meh... there are better and more interesting choices to add to the game. I personally prefer to always be looking at a virtual civ who's real life counterpart achieved huge things in human history, be it ancient or not... sense of "achieving against a high achiever", so to speak.

Wait... what does he mean by "we're excited to be letting everybody have a chance to play the first 60 turns of the game" @0:24?

Meh... there are better and more interesting choices to add to the game. I personally prefer to always be looking at a virtual civ who's real life counterpart achieved huge things in human history, be it ancient or not... sense of "achieving against a high achiever", so to speak.

How many civilizations have not just survived but thrived in an inhospitable environment like the Arctic? To me, that is one of mankind's most remarkable achievements.

The Inuit probably won't be in the game but there is no need to casually dismiss what they've done. :)

Civs that are more ambigious often chosen based on if they have a potential for good gameplay.

I mean, if there is a better civ that would replace a "Tundra/Snow" civ then go ahead, replace Inuit by them.

There's the staples and then there's the game-play civs.

Wait... what does he mean by "we're excited to be letting everybody have a chance to play the first 60 turns of the game" @0:24?
Likely referring to that press event? They all got to play 60 turns of the game.

Likely referring to that press event? They all got to play 60 turns of the game.

Nah, he probably means that they'll open up a 60 turn preview for literally everybody as soon as the first 60 turns play fine - that sounds way more realistic*.

Spoiler :
*And by realistic I mean "Matches better what I want to be true."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdTwARovEJ8

Almost nothing of interest here, except maybe the reference to the Inuit (at 4'50) which probably means they're not in.

For those who can't watch videos, Ed Beach said he loved how the modding community for Civ5 is so active in creating new "civilizations, sub-civilizations, and tribes", and then he added

"you can go out and find a mod somewhere in Steam Workshop for Civ5 and just play as the Inuit for your game - that's really exciting, that's a lot of fun"

I don't know if you agree with me, but it seems to me he said it like "Look, they even make mods for peoples as unimportant as the Inuit, that's so cute".:mischief:

I think you're right. Don't let anyone here tell you different.

You're no less entitled to your view than anyone else.

Eskimos are just important as any other race, Ed Beach obviously thinks because they didn't build Great Walls or Great Pyramids or Great Lighthouses that they shouldn't be introduced as a "mainstream" civilization.

Of course he's entitled to his view but that doesn't mean you have to agree with it.

Top Bottom