General chess.com talk

Panzar75

King
I couldn't decide under what thread to post this so I made one for general chat about whatever chess.com related.

Am I the only one to find this game odd? Would a 2350+ player make a move such as the 20:th in a correspondance game? And why did he resign down only a pawn against a player rated more than 800 points lower?

Also, I was a bit surprised to find Colinf (who states he is from United Kingdom on the info page) on "Team Western Canada". There are weird things afoot. Weird I tell you!

I think he visits there quite often.
Honorary son of the soil, I would say...

As for FritztheCat,
well I've made more spectacular mess ups that against opposition proportionately weaker.
Sometimes you just lose the plot.
Or, work is so stressful you just need to walk away.

I must admit I would like to see a messing up worse than a 2350 player going from -13.00 (also having a forced mate in 10 on the move before that) to a losing position in one move in a correspondance game against a 1500 player. Hit me.

It was a correspondence game? I've seen and made many a blunder myself, but not by such a highly rated player in so simple a manner. Perhaps he resigned in disgust? His opponent's current rating is 1200+ .

I'm a Live Chess mod...

Funny Panzar, somehow I looked at that exact game (the FelixTheCat one) just a few days ago & wondered the same thing!

It happens. Especially when playiing an opponent who you figure probably won't resign, makes you frustrated & perhaps wanting to win too badly & too fast!

During one of my tournaments back in Ventura, California I walked into a mate in one, I had the choice between two queens moves to win another pawn (I was up two pawns in an endgame) & choose one of them because it struck me as more aesthetically pleasing. I was shocked & appalled to then see checkmate produced. My opponent actually said "Sorry!". I think I posted the game way back when.

Also, I was a bit surprised to find Colinf (who states he is from United Kingdom on the info page) on "Team Western Canada". There are weird things afoot. Weird I tell you!

I own a house on the Sunshine Coast just outside Gibsons. Vancouver is our home from home.

I have a question about the Game Explorer. I use it when coming across something I haven't seen before. I'm happy to say I find myself using it less and less. Be that as it may, I found the following line curious:

1. e4 c6
2. e5 d5

I'm playing Black. Looking at the Game Explorer, it shows only 17 games in the master games database for White's move 3. d4. But when I enter d4 into the explorer, suddenly there are around 19000 games uncovered. Anyone know why?

Game explorer looks for the position as opposed to the moves.

1 e4 c6
2 d4 d5
3 e5

is relatively common and leads to the same position.

I like how you throw all restraint out the window with 10. Bxf7, though.

I shall resume all my games on April 1st, after I finish moving to town on that day.

I like how you throw all restraint out the window with 10. Bxf7, though.

I usually resign after I make a mistake - not enough character to see it through....

But I have a kind of pact with this guy to play him a few times.

The Annual CFC Tournament, and Narz's People, introduced me to www.chess.com. And this group, coming from the CFC forum, is one that is very interactive and there's a lot of communication amongst members. Be it vote chess or team matches, there's discussion. Members talk to each other. In the true sense of the word, it's a group. It's been a great pleasure to be part of this wonderful group of people, and to be honest, other groups I've joined has been a disappointment to me as I kept noticing the things they lack that we have. And to date I've left two groups that I've joined.

I only have one other group at the moment, which is my national team, and so far things look promising. Hopefully I won't have to leave that team too. But anyway, hats off to a great group. :hatsoff:

I'm playing for Canada in Round 1 of the World League vs England. Wish me luck (cause I'm going to need it, going up against a 1562 rated player)!

Thanks Sashie, and I agree, that group is great! It's definitely more motivating playing as part of it as opposed to playing before on queenalice (or chess.com) just on my own.

"If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? (And if not now, when?)”

I'm grateful to have all you guys on board & didn't imagine it would get so big so quickly! :)

I'm playing for Canada in Round 1 of the World League vs England. Wish me luck (cause I'm going to need it, going up against a 1562 rated player)!

I'm playing for England v Canada!

:hammer:

I've secured 1st place in this tournament :) (just found it randomly while searching for open tournaments a couple months back). Some of my games were a bit sloppy, mostly my last one against Jambeat. I played rather inaccurately to the point where I lost my edge & the computer judged the position as fully equal but my opponent was scared by my seemingly strong attack & tried to create a counterattack & I busted him with a basic tactic... whoever makes the last blunder so they say :D.

Panzar is two boards higher for Sweden than I am for the USA - Northeast in our world league match so we just missed playing each other.

Top Bottom