Generals - what the ... ?

Sarkyn

Warlord
Hello!

Returning to FFH/FF after a long time, I find my great generals are suddenly something more than they used to be.

However, the Civpedia is bare, the wiki is leaf-less and I have no idea what these generals are supposed to do. I spent half a game adding units to their command, and then moving them around, and the generals never really seemed to do anything, get any xp, or provide any bonus or penalty to the units they "led".

Clearly, I haven't got a clue.

Would someone like to point me in the direction of the modcomp that adds these generals, so I can go read up on them?

Generals get XP when the units they command get XP from combat. They don't get free XP like adepts or workers, so the only way to level them up is to have their troops fight something (barbs will do just fine). You can use generals to "spread the wealth" of combat XP by giving them support promotions and then attaching new units to them, giving those units some of the same bonuses as experienced ones without having to level them up individually.

As for a good way to try out this mechanic, you could try playing as the Bannor with the Chain of Command module installed (comes with FF, I think). They get a unique set of promotions that can turn pretty much any unit into a poor man's Great General with enough XP.

Pretty sure it's not a modcomp. Entirely made by vehem and xienwolf. I did art for a few of them too. check out the Chislev Warchief sometime :D

Commanders have a vast array of promotions that they can get as they level up. The entire system is very new and still subject to tweaking. Currently, most spells don't affect commanders. Haste, and such. This will be changed.

I am somewhat sketchy on how to properly "groom" your great generals, unless you're talking about the Bannor ones (the "Captains", a great general variant). The thread with long explanation, people like me asking questions / clarifying things, etc. is here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=328253

I do think they add a lot to the game in their way, old GGs were added to a unit as a transferable +1 att/def/XP promotion, kind of like a weapon, while the new ones need other units to "feed" them, but there's a lot of ins and outs about level variation and such among your minions, specializing your generals to give the most advantage to their minions, knowing when to protect them at home in a city, and when to keep them in close enough range to grant advantages, other stuff like that.

Also, the new GGs can do a command post OR recruitment special ability in a city without "using themselves up" (consuming the GG), they can do it only once mind you, but can still lead troops after that.

If you want to get familiar with them, try Worldbuilder to give yourself one or two as a tutorial, with or without trying them among the Bannor or anyone else with special GGs like the Dural or Chislev.

I personally feel that generals gain too little xp from their miniions. Aside from the bannor ones with the CoC module, it's extremely difficult to level a ganeral.

I've actually found that leveling them isn't that bad. It is, however, obnoxious how my good units swiftly outlevel my commander, who gets stuck at 100xp with three 300-400xp minions.

Also, by the time I get my general to 100xp, I have five more waiting for me in my capitol...

My first purchases for commanders is Leadership, followed by at least one command limit increase.

Four units earning experience, which is divided by four... in theory the general should level at the same rate as his minions. More limit boosters and he should outlevel them.

If one unit shoots ahead of the general, which can easily happen, I detach him and fill his spot with new recruits. This is as it should be, generals lead rank and file troops; highly experienced units can work on their own.

One problem is that generals start with no experience, while built units do. I think generals need a training building, an Archery Range or Training Yard for commanders.

At the least Generals should get the experience your civics give you. No reason to not let them be boosted by Apprenticeship/Conquest/Theocracy.

All I'm going to say about this is if that I think the Great General should be consumed if it uses the Draft or Command post ability. All other Great people are consumed when doing similar tasks. It always feels like heaping on insult to injury when a Great General randomly spawns and grants a civ 4-6 free hammers worth of units to continue to drive into someone.

We could block drafting/recruitment at cities in revolt or where your culture is under 50%, then the recruit mechanic is more defensive in general than offensive, like mostly intended. Or develop Defensive & Offensive Combat XP seperately, allowing the balance between "rubberband" and "steamroller" mechanisms to be refined more.

That wouldn't really do anything though. When a Great General spawns it spawns at one of your establishes cities usually.

Top Bottom