Genoa Civilization DLC?

I looked through the XML file earlier and can confirm Genoa is listed as a major civilization.

Proof? That's your assumption. Genoa is listed alphabetically along with the rest of the major civ and the other City States are seperated second also alphabetically but seperate.

Going by this, it seems Genoa is listed as a major civ.

Could be an error, could be a planned red herring, could be a dropped city state before the final way they put the file together.

Could be an error, could be a planned red herring, could be a dropped city state before the final way they put the file together.
This - although I'd like to think it was real, it seems like an interesting choice!

It could be something that was cut. However. the placement of Genoa is rather odd to be the only city state there. The order of that list seems rather organized for Genoa to be a City State.

Any speculation on their uniques? I'm guessing the Piazza (Commerical district replacement) as a UD, and the Balestrieri (Crossbowmen replacement) as the UU.

Thanks man. To me, this means no Genoa.

To be honest, we can't really say either way.

It could literally be anything. Cut content, a placeholder from testing city states, a new civ, an in joke with the developers (particularly considering the whole Venice thing), an error, a goat named Jerry, a replacement city state for one that is being made into a full civ... I would suggest against assumptions.

If it is a Civ to be added, it almost certainly wasn't meant to be in that file, so I wouldn't think a lack of Poland really means anything.

not convinced, though it would explain why there are no Italian city states

not convinced, though it would explain why there are no Italian city states
I don't seem what isn't convincing about it - I've verified the game files and it is indeed there, not to mention it's grouped with major civilizations, not city-states.
It's more than likely they will be (one of) the first DLC packs announced.

Some things of note in other files:

Poland is outright mentioned in the icons file, seems they're next.

Also, I'm getting the impression we won't be able to use screenshots showing city states as a way of guessing which new civs there are with the new way they've coloured them. A shame.

Is Poland on that list as well?
Poland is mentioned on civ & city-state list in one file and on civ list in other file. There is also info about Poland in music file (xml) which tells what Poland theme is if you ask uncle Google about it. It's more - someone even got out Poland music from the game files and the music correspond with the music name you can find in music file (xml):

This is intriguing, but it's worth mentioning that the Aztecs aren't in that list either.

Genoa could be a DLC but to say they are "confirmed" is a rather generous definition of the word :p.

Genoa as Civ:confused:
In its glory days it was a faithful part of HRE different to Venice which belonged to Bytantium and was not a part of HRE.
Even if they want to take a upset with the HRE north Italian Civ they should take some other more independent city state like Milano.

Genoa as Civ:confused:
In its glory days it was a faithful part of HRE different to Venice which belonged to Bytantium and was not a part of HRE.
Even if they want to take a upset with the HRE north Italian Civ they should take some other more independent city state like Milano.

Venice was not part of the Byzantine Empire during it's glory days. Suggesting as such would be like referring to France as part of the Roman Empire.

Equally, civilisations in game aren't representation of nation states for the most part, but rather broader cultural groups (e.g. Greece having both Athenian and Spartan leaders). Genoa isn't unreasonable in that respect, and was a cultural force in the region, and in it's trade.

Equally, the Holy Roman Empire was no single state, and treating it as such isn't a great way of going about things. It would be a bit like (though there are key differences) rejecting Germany as a country because "it's part of the EU".

Venice was not part of the Byzantine Empire during it's glory days. Suggesting as such would be like referring to France as part of the Roman Empire.

The reason why Venice was not a part of HRE was that they were formally a part of Byzantine - for this there are no other reasons.

Equally, civilisations in game aren't representation of nation states for the most part, but rather broader cultural groups (e.g. Greece having both Athenian and Spartan leaders). Genoa isn't unreasonable in that respect, and was a cultural force in the region, and in it's trade.

Some kind of spirit and chance for independence should be a part of a stand alone Civ. With Genoa this wasn´t notably the case. There are better candidates like Milan or Florence or Venice.

Equally, the Holy Roman Empire was no single state, and treating it as such isn't a great way of going about things. It would be a bit like (though there are key differences) rejecting Germany as a country because "it's part of the EU".

That´s true Germany actually is under the realm of the European Court of Justice like Genoa was in the HRE for more than 800 years. After the Thirty Years' War Genoa came quickly under other supremacy and dependence.

Top Bottom