German Translation

Snofru1

Emperor
Hi,

I have done some translations to German and have attached them here. Jdog or Glider, it would great if you could incorporate this into one of the next versions of RevDCM!

The translated files are (all of them from Assets\XML\Text):
AIAutoPlay_CIV4GameText.xml
BarbarianCiv_CIV4GameText.xml
CIV4DiplomacyText.xml (only the last few entries)
RevHelpText_CIV4GameText.xml
RevolutionDLLText_CIV4GameText.xml
RevolutionText_CIV4GameText.xml
RevUtils_CIV4GameText.xml

I have recently played a few games of Lords of Revolution in German and found that especially the translations from the RevDCM component are a little bit 'difficult'. Looks like they were made with a translation machine and though some of them are funny some other messages I simply couldn´t understand. I once even started to lead the rebel army because I didn´t understand what I am clicking on :crazyeye: !

I tried to translate everything really carefully, but as the english grammar is quite different to the german one there still can be some weird sentences when they are formed out of different components. But anyway it should be possible to understand them now.

PS: Please tell me if you know a way to quickly see ingame how the messages look. I am more than willing to correct any mistake you might find (already corrected 2 or 3 in the english version, too ;) ).

Thanks! Will definitely get these into the mod.

I don't know of any easy way to check how all of the messages appear ... it's a pain. I have a debug approach where whenever a civ is presented with a Revolution popup, the game switches me to controlling that civ so I can check out the text and try different options. It kind of works, but doesn't check everything of course.

I have done more translations to German, now most in-game texts should be translated (not the RevDCM hints, civilopedia or strategy section).

One thing is still missing, though: In the BUG-options there is a rider called "RevDCM" and everything is still in english, including the mouse-over text. I could not find that in the xml, could someone direct me to the relevant file so I could finish this translation?

Translated or corrected files include:

BarbarianCiv_CIV4GameText.xml
CIV4GameText_BetterBTSAI.xml
CIV4GameText_SHAM.xml
Inquisitor_CIV4GameText.xml
RevolutionText_CIV4GameText.xml
RevTraitTag_Civ4GameTextInfos.xml
Spymod_CIV4GameTextInfos.xml
WoC_Civ4GameText_Objects_BTS.xml

Still open for translations are:

Civ4GameText_DCM.xml
DynamicCivNames_CIV4GameText.xml
REVDCMHints_CIV4GameText.xml
Strategy1_CIV4GameText.xml
Strategy2_CIV4GameText.xml
TraitsPedia_CIV4GameText.xml

BTW: I didn´t translate DynamicCivNames as I simply couldn´t. You need to understand how this component works before you can try to translate...

PS: I controlled this by playing LoR, not pure RevDCM but I had the distinct impression that all relevant texts are also in RevDCM. LoR already plays really good in German, this is just fine tuning...

The text files are pretty similar, but there are a couple different files (added objets--units, techs, etc--, LoR Game Concepts, and Traits). I'll go ahead and merge these into the RevDCM SVN, so I'll take into account any differences. Thanks for doing this. You may also want to take a look at BUG's new text in it's SVN, it's pretty well translated into German, but there are a few missing components still in there.

Thank you, Phungus!
You may also want to take a look at BUG's new text in it's SVN, it's pretty well translated into German, but there are a few missing components still in there.
Did this ;) !

Still can´t find the text files for the RevDCM options in the BUG options. Is this only in LoR? Any hint to which file this is in would be welcome...

Thanks, I will merge this in within the next couple of days.

@glider1 or jdog5000

Where are the Dynamic Civ names located? I'm assuming this is all hardcoded in Python, and I'd like to move these over to XML, like I have done for the RevDCM options, so that Snofru can provide translations.

@glider1 or jdog5000

Where are the Dynamic Civ names located? I'm assuming this is all hardcoded in Python, and I'd like to move these over to XML, like I have done for the RevDCM options, so that Snofru can provide translations.
There is a file

DynamicCivNames_CIV4GameText.xml

in the XML already. I have looked into it and I just gave up to translate it. It is often only single words or even just syllables that are very difficult to translate but probably impossible to adapt to another language without understanding the system of the Dynamic Civ names. The grammar is quite different between the languages meaning that the word endings probably will be wrong most of the time.

I could try though, but I fear it won´t be fun to play this in German then...

I have finished another translation to German:

Civ4GameText_DCM.xml

Gaplus added a whole new bunch of italian translations. Since Italian is next to German, I can't merge these in, because it highlights the two lines together. Could you redo this file using the current SVN?

Gaplus added a whole new bunch of italian translations. Since Italian is next to German, I can't merge these in, because it highlights the two lines together. Could you redo this file using the current SVN?
Why me? Gaplus posted after me, so shouldn´t he re-translate my version?

Just kidding :D !

In fact it was kind of relaxing to do some copy-pasting after the translation-marathon I have done recently ;) ...

BTW: I have absolutely no idea where the RevDCM SVN can be found, and in the LoR SVN there was only a version without the Italian translations. So I downloaded directly from Gaplus´ posting, I hope that´s OK...

That worked, thanks.

The RevDCM SVN is here:

https://revolutiondcm.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/revolutiondcm/Trunk/RevolutionDCM

I have updated the SVN, there are a couple minor additions to deal with the Softcoding of Inquisitions if anyone (namely Snofru) wants to translate those. I think it's just 3 items, maybe a couple more, but nothing major.

I have updated the SVN, there are a couple minor additions to deal with the Softcoding of Inquisitions if anyone (namely Snofru) wants to translate those. I think it's just 3 items, maybe a couple more, but nothing major.
I hope, I found everything, finding the untranslated text is sometimes more tedious than the translation itself. There where 3 entries right at the end of RevolutionText_CIV4GameText.xml and one entry at the end of Inquisitor_CIV4GameText.xml, but the latter probably simply was overlooked by me in earlier translations.

Updated the <Italian> sections too..
hi to all :rockon:

Attachments

• Italian_DCM_20100117.zip
    49.5 KB · Views: 399
Thanks Gaplus and Snophru, your translations have been checked into the SVN :)

Just updated all the text files to the newest release of BUG in the SVN. So if Snophru or Gaplus, or anyone else out there who's interested in translations wants to make sure things are translated well, please feel free. Just upload any changes you make to the files here and I'll be sure to update them in the SVN. 2.7 should come out by next weekend, so try to upload any translations you make within the next couple of days. Also for Snophru and Gaplus specifically there were some changes made in BUG to the Italian and German. I left the original RevDCM translations in, as I wasn't sure which were more accurate, ours or BUGs. But if you guys don't have time to translate, but have time to check it out and find that BUG's translations are better, please let me know, and I'll change those; that's just a simple task with winmerge, and will only take a few minutes to do, I just don't know which are better.

Top Bottom