Germany Quick Question

trexeric

(or backwards 'cirexert')
(in case it matters, let it be known that I have the version of RFC which came with BTS in the box)

Whenever I play Germany, going for UHV or not, I collapse very soon. How can you prevent early-game collapsing?

Please explain your problem more, and give us some more information, like when and how, what stability dragging you down etc.

It's obvious that things like these get solved if you download the latest version. 3.19 Can be attained from this website, and 1.187 is the latest version of RFC. This 'bug' was solved in RFC 1.182. Germany typically didn't survive for long so an independent Germany was very common. This is now resolved and Germany becomes much stronger in later eras.

If you don't want or can't update, you can always change your early moves. Berlin is a bad capital. Danzig (1NE) is much better, but Frankfurt as a capital is the best option you have. Just wait until it flips and build other cities after that. Budapest and Kiev (others prefer a Baltic city, I don't) are other cities that are vital. With these you can get a very strong economy that should survive past 1500AD, and from there on it becomes straightforward.

I prefer Reval and Kiev for the starting settlers, keeps the Russians at a distance (don't found until they've spawned, however). There's usually not much competition for the Budapest spot.

I prefer Reval and Kiev for the starting settlers, keeps the Russians at a distance (don't found until they've spawned, however). There's usually not much competition for the Budapest spot.

where is kiev? I agree - but faustindauf seems like the natural spot with reval. Just make sure you wait one turn to settle reval so russia doesnt take it from you.

once you take France, Athens, England, or Russia you will get bad -expansions (they are all red on the expansion maps). Keep your early expanding to Constantinople, Rome, or possibly scandanavia (avoid norway altogethor, its red and anyway not as good bases there). Athens is ok, but you'll want to wait until Crossairs to move into France - your economy will be much better.

In the modern era you're gonna get negatives for cities, civics, and big negatives for expansion. you overcome this with a strong economy - danzing, reval, and faustindorf should be cottage farms. Budapest, Frankfurt, and constantinople should have cottages where there are no resources or hills.
Also, switch to nationhood and occupation asap when you get nationalism. Switch to fascism when you have it, before you go to war.

You really shouldnt have any trouble with stability until you attack Russia - then it becomes difficult.

tips: raze paris, bordeux, brest and build essen (or if you must, keep paris, but raze bordeux and brest - they are crap anyway). Keep Marseille as well.

raze 2 cities of your choice in England. I like to keep London and Inviernes. If you are really struggling with stability you can just keep London, just make sure you raze the rest. If you have nationhood and occupation you actually get a small positive bump to stability for razing cities. DO NOT settle Ireland, raze them or leave them neutral after england collapses. UK is a big hit to stability, settling Ireland will kill you - and you will not be able to give those bases away to anyone when you get desperate.

If you are not going for UHV, prob best not to invade Russia. If you are, wait until about 1915 - with 2 stacks of 10-12 tanks you should be past the mountains in 7-8 turns anyway, you don't need a lot of time. Just keep moscow and 1-2 other bases, raze the rest and push until Russia collapses.

in my emperor game currently (I'm about to finally win it, woohoo) I have a +91 economy, NOT in a golden age. That is a big help to stability. Also means I satisfy VC 2 and 3 pretty close to the same time - sometimes hit 3 before 1940.

where is kiev?
Oh, Kiev is the same city as Faustindorf. I always rename it Kiev in my games because I don't like a small village's name for my most productive city ;)

why we're on the subject - I finally beat Germany UHV on emperor - I want to write a strategy guide. 7-8 starts to conquer russia in time, I think I should be qualified <G>. Where should I post it, with the Wiki down?

Anielowka is Kiev too AFAIK, I prefer that spot. Again, matter of taste.
Yeah, you don't waste one cow with that. But I prefer being on a river for more production later.

why we're on the subject - I finally beat Germany UHV on emperor - I want to write a strategy guide. 7-8 starts to conquer russia in time, I think I should be qualified <G>. Where should I post it, with the Wiki down?
The Strategy discussion thread would be the best place I guess.

Agree with Loreth, you can build Anielowka, it will be great city (by number of people), but if it won't be on river it will sucks in production, and can be hardly compared with any good production city. Which is Faustindorf.

Here is some optimized city layout for germany with minimal number of cities:

Spoiler :

- Danzig (1NE) of original start, great peoples farm + commerce + science
- Franfurt (as is or 1 tile N if razed; don't move it towards Netherland because it can flip)
- Faustindorf (1E from Deer) - this is actually russian city by stability maps, but if you want beat Russians, you want this city
- Graz or Budapest or Zagreb - i usually just built Budapest (1S from Deer), but i started using Graz (on Pig) or Zagreb (2S from Deer) in later games; stil undecided which one is better :/ Graz has some more population, and less peaks; however Budapest or Zagreb may have more resources;

These are basic cities you may want; the number of the cities is limited. For example i don't build Reval (Novgorod), because it's not really great city; good but not great...

UHV cities:
- I usually go with both Constantinopolis, and Athens; however Athens aren't very good city (overlapping 1 or 2 tile with Constantinopolis; some peak maybe, not really good production, either very big population); on the other hand you may want this cities ASAP on emperror, because they are great peoples farm, and especially Constantinopolis can produce all great people you need from beggining (i usually pop GS for philosophy, GM for paper). You may get these from start if you are lucky and skilled enough.
- Rom ASAP, but usually not really possible before gun powder (waste of time building trebuchet or catapults too early)
- France: raze everything build Tours (on Uranium) or Angers (1W of Uranium)...
- England: raze everything except London and Iverness (you don't need Ireland just British mainland)
- Russia: raze more... You need only one or two cities here if you collapse Russia; so i usually go with Voronez (i think it's 1S from Cow near Moscow); then 1 city to get 2x Fur and 1x Aluminum (don't know exact location); and if you need more cities take or build Samara (around Oil)
- Vikings: i don't like their cities, so i don't get them permanently; just in 1940 get enough of them; release after UHV 2 milestone; the only reasonable city is IMHO Lulea if the forrests aren't cleared; you may also build Oslo or something like it...
- colonization: if you counted, we have over 10 cities in total already, so colonization isn't exactly the way to go unless you know what you are doing; nice trick is build Oostburg in middle of USA; spread culture 3 or 4 tiles; and i can qurantee USA won't bother you ever again :)
- btw i don't expand over 10-12 cities before computers, because after 10th city the research (especially) on emperor dropping too much (you can compensate 1 or 2 cities over 10, but still you will be bit slower)

Anilowka can be on at least two tiles, so one on river, one on deer. Yes you are right, i'm always trying place city on river to get some decend production bonus. Coast + river + some hills or mines is even better, however i can't name very much cities like this :)

Anyway i would more likely help the original author of this post somehow, but he is not very communicative fellow :)

I'm fairly certain that Anielowka is on a river, I always avoid cities that are not on a river. For example, Wilna seems decent but it sucks in reality.

By settling Anielowka, you change Uranium, Horses, Iron and Pigs for Wheat and Cows. I don't see any reason to do so.:confused: Anielowka has three locations, of which two are on a river.

morff said:
These are basic cities you may want; the number of the cities is limited. For example i don't build Reval (Novgorod), because it's not really great city; good but not great...
Reval is still the best cottage economy city Germany can settle. That's mainly because the other spots can be good in production as well and should be used for that.

Reval is still the best cottage economy city Germany can settle. That's mainly because the other spots can be good in production as well and should be used for that.

Yeah well it depends on priorities, if you want have only super cities you have to unfortunately avoid some good cities... as Germany you can have pretty much everything you want best cities in europe / america (if you want), including all wonders, but it's pretty hard play perfect game with Germany on emperor, it's very easy play wrong few turns and you are done :)

Anyway you are right, i'm just trying new approaches. But Cities like Reval vs Schlusselberg driving me nuts - you can have Reval on river, or Schlusselberg (Novgorod) not on river but with more resources (and forrests?) / people without production; i never can decide which one is better :) (but because i have to prefer production, it's usually Reval)

Anyway you are right, i'm just trying new approaches. But Cities like Reval vs Schlusselberg driving me nuts - you can have Reval on river, or Schlusselberg (Novgorod) not on river but with more resources (and forrests?) / people without production; i never can decide which one is better :) (but because i have to prefer production, it's usually Reval)

I'm also eternally stuck between Memel and Riga.

Fun fact: Anielowka (Angelovka) is a rural village with a population of 590. So much for being better than Kiev in RFC. Faustindorf (also Faustinovka) is a small village too, nowadays known as Mezhirechka.

Top Bottom