Germany UA Suggestion

ferretbacon

Obsessor
I've been thinking of ways to improve Germany's lackluster UA; I would like to play them, but I just think they're a little weak.

Some ideas I've had both retain the current UA, but add a bit to it (assuming we stick with the militaristic flavor for their UA, as opposed to pursuing a bonus to production or somesuch):

Furor Teutonicus: Upon defeating a Barbarian unit inside an encampment, there is a 50% chance you earn 25 Gold and they join your side; this unit is maintenance free. Pay 25% less for land unit maintenance. When at war with more than one civilization, melee units receive a 10% combat bonus.

That can be all together, or seperated out if it is too much, but these would make the UA a bit better I think.

I also wish, on a side note, that they would put the Holy Roman Empire back in and give them the Landschnekt (sp?), and try to make Germany reflect its more modern incarnation, retaining the Panzer, but adding something else, perhaps a UB that increases production.

Thoughts? Further suggestions?

I've been thinking of ways to improve Germany's lackluster UA; I would like to play them, but I just think they're a little weak.

Some ideas I've had both retain the current UA, but add a bit to it (assuming we stick with the militaristic flavor for their UA, as opposed to pursuing a bonus to production or somesuch):

Furor Teutonicus: Upon defeating a Barbarian unit inside an encampment, there is a 50% chance you earn 25 Gold and they join your side; this unit is maintenance free. Pay 25% less for land unit maintenance. When at war with more than one civilization, melee units receive a 10% combat bonus.

That can be all together, or seperated out if it is too much, but these would make the UA a bit better I think.

I also wish, on a side note, that they would put the Holy Roman Empire back in and give them the Landschnekt (sp?), and try to make Germany reflect its more modern incarnation, retaining the Panzer, but adding something else, perhaps a UB that increases production.

Thoughts? Further suggestions?

Austria is pretty much the stand-in for the Holy Roman Empire. That being said I'd also like Germany to ditch the Landsknecht in favor of a more modern unit. I'd favor a Swiss DLC that gives the Landsknecht over to Switzerland. The Swiss could have a UB that replaces the Factory (e.g., Clock-maker). I'd like to see Germany get a UU that replaces artillery, perhaps a "Big Bertha" Gun. Would be interesting to see a Great War DLC too.

For gameplay purposes, Germany works out well.

The UA is only lackluster if you don't use it well, and no other civ has the same feel of that kind of synergy, so it would be a loss to use it.

I think I would like the "this unit is maintinence free" part. It kind of sucks when you capture a barb and then you have to pay for him, too.

The way I look at it is that your military wants a paycheck for their services, even the guys who join you because you beat them.

perhaps a "Big Bertha" Gun.

Hmm, great idea. For Germany only or for every civilization provided it discovered a particular technology, a powerfull and great canon that is the best of its epoch but that can't go anywhere without rails.

I imagine a "scenario" when you have to conquer one city by building railroads first.

Would be pretty handy in current hard level games also.

There were times that I thought Russia and Germany should switch UAs. Give Germany the extra resources to build specialized units and a production boost and give Russia the unit discount for human waves plus an additional bonus (not the barbarian camp bonus).

Now I admire the German civ for its representation of the long history of the Germanic peoples. It's really one of the few civs in the game that does such a good job representing a group of peoples as apposed to just a nation-state at the top of its game.

If you wanted to change the current UA, why not make the Brute a bit more unique? Add a Brute only promotion that stays with the unit as it upgrades. Perhaps a bonus vs cities or extra health from pillaging.

Top Bottom