Germany Video

Xen

Magister
U wot m8. German tanks and planes were not feared? Are you for real?

Of course they were feared- butbits the u-boats there were feared longer, and far more so than any panzer or plane are what almost won the war against Britain for them.

JimmyBanks

Warlord
I would like to point out two things:
- It was specified in the video that the combat bonus is against CS units. My presumption is that this bonus also applies against CS units controled by their civ ally. Thus, in my opinion, this bonus can be mich more significant than one would assume at first glance.

- "U-boat is Germany's modern era unique unit". We know that there are three civs in the game that have 2 UU. We know two of them: America and England. My assumption is that Germany is the third one and they have a second UU in the earlier stages of the game. Naturally, I would expect to see a land unit (landsknecht maybe?).

Why wouldn't they announce all the UU's of a Civ in the First Look video?

Kouvb593kdnuewnd

Left Forever
That is an interesting civilization:

*The extra card allow it more military power then most other civilizations but even more interesting is that it allow Germany to use government with few military cards and still have a very good military. This mean Germany can have both a good economy and military at the same time.

*CS bonus could be used as a way to expand by conquering CS. Not sure how useful this will be atleast it can maybe help against enemies who use CS units against you.

*One extra district per city will allow Germany more urbanization and it is important to note that all districts get a bonus from adjacent districts. This will give Germany a more flexible economy as they can focus on several resources or use the extra district to give an encampment to each of their cities.

*Uboat will make the late game naval wars probably much easier which is very useful on water heavy maps but less so on pangea.

the U-Boat as a unique unit, which doesn't even appear to function as a submarine
WW1 and WW2 Submarines could only stay underwater for a short time and was slow underwater. For the most part they was surfaced and only submerged then danger was near. The first true submarine that was actually designed to stay under surface more then over the surface was the type XXI which is also known as the Electroboat.

Maggo

Chieftain
3) cses bonuses are insane. So conquering one that is of high importance to an enemy might be game changing.

The CS bonuses are also somewhat situational, so conquering a CS that is very beneficial to an enemy but has limited value to yourself might be a good idea. For example invading Jerusalem if it helps a player seeking to win a religious victory while you yourself don't have a religion.

stealth_nsk

Deity

There are still balancing iterations, so they may skip something. We already saw more things in preview build than were announced in the video. For example, England receives a military unit for settling on another continent. It wasn't announced.

However, I don't think this could be used for UU. Unit is not just some numbers, it's model, animation, etc. They more likely keep bonus policy card removable than a unit.

Cerilis

Stormrider
I don't think those are the final colours (and icon) though, didn't they say they wanted to make them closer to today's flags colours? This is still the same as in civ5. :p

FedorWin

Chieftain

I understand that I may be reading too much into this, and there may very well be no second unit for Germany, but here is my thinking:
- It is somewhat strange to me to have a Holy Roman Emperor with only a modern U-boat as a UU
- They never announced all of a civ's abilities in any of those videos, that is why they are called "first look"
- Uniques that they are omiting in these videos may be tied up to a game feature they are not ready to talk about just yet - like they did not say a word about goverment legacy bonuses America gets.
Pure speculation on my part - germans are getting some kind of crusader as the second UU. The crusader receives bonuses during religious combat, which was never properly explained to us. That would tied up well the current lack of earlier unique land unit and having :king:Barbarossa as the leader.

Edit: typos

zocki

Chieftain
well not so sure about the bonuses
- Extra district sounds nice but in early game its not that much of a bonus if you could use that production for a settler, wonder, worker. Once you reach mid game the additional 3 pop for the next district shouldn't be that much of an issue. For me it feels underwhleming compared to bonuses that increase the effectiveness of districts like Japan's ability.
- Hanse as an industrial district adds a nice production focus but way too late in the game. Its probably because i like to play marathon speed but by the time i reach industrial era i hardly care about production anymore.
- U-Boot ok but too situational and only late game
- extra millitary slot might be interesting if there is a card i realy wan't to fill that slot
- Bonus against city states sucks unless its a realy massive bonus. Any small/medium bonus is just too situational and inferior to the bonuses that teddy or monty have.

Dark_Jedi06

"Deus ex Machina."
I love the unique abilities they've given Germany this time around, they sound very powerful and flavorful to boot...however, I'm not thrilled with Barbarossa or the capital being Aachen. Bismarck has always been my favorite mainstay of the series...RIP pickelhaube. :sad:

Kouvb593kdnuewnd

Left Forever
Industrial district is unlocked in the middle ages not industrial era.

Extra district sounds nice but in early game its not that much of a bonus if you could use that production for a settler, wonder, worker.
Or you can use that production to build districts.

shyPiano

Prince
I don't think those are the final colours (and icon) though, didn't they say they wanted to make them closer to today's flags colours? This is still the same as in civ5. :p

It's possible they will still change them, but this video does show gameplay from the latest build (we've seen so far).
That build is the one that changed all the colors, and Germany is still black on gray on it. In fact, the icon only appears when they show footage of the latest build, so the possibility of them changing Germany's color is... diminished, compared to if they only showed footage from previous builds.

stealth_nsk

Deity
- Extra district sounds nice but in early game its not that much of a bonus if you could use that production for a settler, wonder, worker. Once you reach mid game the additional 3 pop for the next district shouldn't be that much of an issue. For me it feels underwhleming compared to bonuses that increase the effectiveness of districts like Japan's ability.

Those abilities are not designed to be equal, Germany has other strengths. In early game you may build Campus + Holy Site in a single city early and get their bonuses, plus adjacency bonuses. Later you could build Hansa + Commercial Hub for jump-starting production in newly founded cities.

- Hanse as an industrial district adds a nice production focus but way too late in the game. Its probably because i like to play marathon speed but by the time i reach industrial era i hardly care about production anymore.

Civ5 balance issues will not be the same in Civ6.

- Bonus against city states sucks unless its a realy massive bonus. Any small/medium bonus is just too situational and inferior to the bonuses that teddy or monty have.

Again, Germany don't need to compete with this bonus alone, they have other strengths.

Uberfrog

Deity
I really like the gameplay design of this Germany, but I too am a little disappointed by the leader head. While Frederick himself is pretty cool, his armour is quite futuristic for the 12th century. The crown is also a lot more boring than his actual crown (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Crown_of_the_Holy_Roman_Empire), which I was lucky enough to see when I was in Vienna earlier this year. It's much more bling!

PrimoXanthous

~ knightmare13 ~
2) U-boat. I am appalled. Not a Landsknecht, not a Panzer, not a Dead head hussar, not a Stuka or Bf 109, but a freaking submarine. Traditional land superpower gets a naval unit of highly situational use in the late game. I am frustrated as hell
this ^. But theres still a unrevealed 2nd UU like America? right?

StrideColossus

Warlord
As a couple of other posters pointed out the CS bonus is against units rather than cities so might make for some sneaky XP farming opportunities, particularly combined with the extra military slot. :ar15:

As an aside: Do we know if there are any anti-CS military policies?

colosu

Chieftain
I don't know if it's already know, but did you noticed the +4 bonus the U-boat get from "Wars of Religion"? (1:01 from the FL, here: https://youtu.be/RgvfU-1ycUs?t=61).

It's from some policy card or it could be from the CB that started the war? (with this name, I don't think it comes only because the enemy has other religion, don't you think so?)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• WarsOfReligion.png
    WarsOfReligion.png
    264.5 KB · Views: 1,123

Siptah

Eternal Chieftain
I can't really get much what he is saying, except that he is "herrsche über dütsche en welsche länder". Which leads me to conclusion he is actually speaking some sort of (modernized) middle high german. This is supported by some of the, for today's german unusual, consonants I can make out besides the narrator going on on top of it.
I am not sure if there is an appropriate translation for the german word "welsche" in this case. Today it means the Romandy. But I think then it just meant the french and italian speaking parts of the HRE.

Paramecium

Prince
Hm, to be honest, I cant decide if I like that Civ or not.

For sure, I think it was a good decision to focus more on the medieval era part of Germany with Barbarossa and the Imperial Cities.
But the U-Boot, I dont know, if everything else is centered around the medieval age, why must there be still a modern UU? Especially a naval unit. Never used any naval UU in Civ a lot ... okay, but that just can be my personal liking.

But the biggest point of concern is imo the bonus vs city states. In Civ 5 there were way too few reasons to attack or conquer a city state. But the biggest problem was for me, that you lose the city state bonus. Extra happiness? Yeah, much needed for my wide empire! Extra culture? Yeah, much needed for my wide empire with increased social policies costs! Extra food? Yeah, much needed for my science etc ...

And now? The boni might be even more powerfull. And the only reason I see to get rid of those is, if the enemy get use of it and not me.

Maybe there should be more advantages for taking city states. Maybe if you conquer them, you get a (very) minor bonus of what they originally provided. At the costs of losing the full bonus, diplomancy mali etc.

Until now, I just see it as a bonus against allied city states of my opponents considering my personal playstyle ...

The rest sounds good, all depending on the specific values.

And btw, until now, there are no science oriented civs so far! At the current point, Japan and especially Brazil would be the tech leaders so far, I hope that we will see something in the future ...

Top Bottom